QMx METAL Mal gun? first glimpse?

DavidS

Sr Member
I just got my QMx Insider email with a picture of the metal mal gun prototype AND a leather holster that they are apparently considering including with it or seperatly...

so whats everyones opinion on this?
is it just a modified Sidkit?

Can you post the pics?

metalmalproto.jpg

and

holster.jpg

Bruce

Well, the grips don't fit right...:confused

And I like their poll about "should we make a leather holster" Sure, the metal version is already going to be ridiculously expensive, so let's make a ridiculously expensive holster for it.

yeah, they really need to fix the grips, especially if that things gonna be in the estimated $500 range. it's hard to tell how good the finish is under that light, but it does look better than the stunt they just put out.

Looks to me they tried to use the grips from their resin stunt and put them on the Sidkit based hero...they don't work at all.

Those pics are from Serenity LA (I was fortunate enough to go - Nathan crashed the gate).

It's a proto, and everyone who wanted to handle it was told that the real proto grips weren't yet finished and the ones on there were just so it had a reasonable grip with no bare metal.

Becuase the grips were just temps, they were pretty loose. Looks like that shot was taken after someone played with it. I wouldn't sweat it - the real grips are yet to be done.

(Mark Sheppard spent a good couple of minutes winging it around and clicking the trigger / hammer. Blame him. And Moomoo - you're right about the lighting. Holy crap, was that place dark. I think they had a couple of bare light bulbs on wires lighting up the the entire off-stage area.)

Last edited:
I think it looks really nice, besides the grips. But that can be easily fixed.

As prototype7 said; do you know if that is that plating or paint, Ben?

I don't; I didn't have a whole lot of time to examine it. I can try to find out, though.

(I will say it was damn heavy).

Honestly it looks great, about the grips, they seems just misaligned... Not a big issue (even if I have to admit that for the price I need a flawless, plated, working replica!:p )

Just a note: like I mentioned earlier, those grips are definately misaligned. They were just for show and were left loose. With all the handling, they swiveled a bit. The real grips will be correct - and solidly attached.

It's hard to tell from just one pic, but if I had to guess, looking at the way the light reflects, I'd say it was coated with transparent yellow/gold paint (i.e. "candy pigment" used on many show cars and motorcycles). I've used that method many times myself (like on my metal Sidkit Mal) and it looks better than metallic paint, since it preserves the real metal sheen, though it does dull it a little.

I'm really hoping the final product will be plated.

I think it looks great, the holster pretty damn good lookin' too

Is it suppose to be another movie version of Mal's pistol? I was hoping the metal version would be from "Firefly." I prefer the look of the TV version much more.

Is it suppose to be another movie version of Mal's pistol? I was hoping the metal version would be from "Firefly." I prefer the look of the TV version much more.

And if they could get the rights to Firefly, I'm sure they would make one. Sadly, this is not the case.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back