WIP: Halo 3 Marines (D-con or bust!)

Vrogy

Time to step out of the shadows.. Hi, folks!
First step for us was modeling. Make points. Connect points. Tweak. Iterate ad nauseum.
We've also got a helmet worked up, but we'll be building that last, as we can do in a pinch and stay canon with a modern 8-point cover and custom insignia.

Then we used a program called Pepakura to generate papercraft patterns.

Those files were printed onto cardstock and are mostly assembled at this point.

No extant pictures of the other stuff in meatspace yet, sorry.

Thanks go to Primal Weyland for accurate orthogonal references(good screenshots), and the folks who pioneered scratch-building via pepakura.

Up next is resin-coating, fiberglassing the interior of pieces, then lots of smoothing via bondo & mouse.

Hey man looks good so far... Didn't see you post this over at the 405th...

Welcome the ranks of the Marines.

Last edited:
Heya Spase- mind not posting pics of your own suit here? I don't want to muddy things for people just scanning around- this thread's for my build report, not yours ;)

Oh, and an update- everything's built and has three coats of resin. Ended up adding lots of cardboard spacers to the chest to get it to keep its shape in the Floridian humidity, but everything is kosher now.

My Bad... thought having another Marine around would be cool.. Didn't mean to step on your toes... wont happen again.

Are you not going to post this over at the 405th.com Halo Costuming Forum? Lots of people there would love to see it too.

Last edited:
it is looking good arent those files available on 405th.com??
Not unless they've been leaked. Tweaks are still being made.

Finished fiberglassing on most of the stuff. Working on the second layer of bondo now. Also modeled the remaining pieces and tweaked the helmet quite a bit.
Might aim to get the helmet done for dragoncon, instead of an 8-point, we're making better time than I thought.

Looks rough, I know. Bondo's solving that.

Ive followed these paper formed suit build ups before, they are great!
Can I recommend something called 'ferrous spray' or lesanol- not sure what its called in the US etc.
In the UK its a 2 part filler you can spray like a putty- but it uses a catalyst to cure. You could prob brush paint it on too. Gray in colour, you can build up seriously thick coats- and would save an amazing amount of time compared to using filler mixed and spread on. Its an overnight cure but sands to a brillinat finish. Used over fibreglass it would be just as durable as filler would be, plus an added bonus of a great primer coat already on the model.
You can spray it as mixed if your gun can take a thjicker paint, or it can be thinned - the thinner coat can make a very good final finish.
Good luck!
d

http://www.lesonal.co.uk/lesonal/CREW/United+Kingdom/

click under the MS Products link and then 2k540 filler. Its an automotive spray I have used a lot in the past, so it wouldnt go through an airbrush
Probably deemed more a 'professional use' than home use ;-(
http://www.morelli.co.uk

would be a good place to look for buying it.....
You can also mix car body filler with fibreglass resin, which creates a very good, brushable paste (use both products hardeners ).
Axminster on
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=576783&name=brushes&user_search=1&sfile=1&jump=12
do an excellent box of disposable brushes ideal for using with this method ;-)

Last edited:
Quick update:
I'm ending up chopping up and re-attaching several chest parts to get the right offset between sections- there was warpage when the parts sat inside the 95-degree shop curing. I've since added a lot of support struts to the pepakura files. Part of the problem is likely that I'm working at the outer limits of the rigidity- or lack thereof- of cardstock.

First semi-complete sculpt, though:
http://vrogy.net/vids/h3marine_shoulder1.mov

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back