2001 Monolith build

The Landscaping:

Right now I think I will want the bottom of the monolith to be well clear of the ground...

I think I would like it up higher so that there will be no pooling of rain water around it, and then I will build up and slope the ground away from it, and then use several inches of pea gravel to catch the rain water .

Under the pea gravel Im thinking I might want to have a layer of black plastic so as to stop any chance of weeds growing in the future and to help move the rain water away from the bottom of the Monolith.

When Im all done I think there should be a air gap between the bottom of the monolith and the top of the pea gravel so that the monolith wood does dry fully

The two 4x4 beams that support the monolith are currently coated with epoxy, but I plan to also coat them in some roofing tar I have on hand but that will be done last as I may be grabbing the 4x4s to get this huge thing down into the trench correctly without it dropping too hard and busting or sinking...

Last edited:
The Approach:

I had some time to kill tonight, so I decided to drag the monolith closer to the trench.
437741343_968440637990668_5437518266688309272_n.jpg

440893315_322958554156351_6550452170721882812_n.jpg

well...its sitting in the staging position that I think is correct.

The next step tomorrow will be to attach a 2x4 to both sides of the monolith that will help hold it up as i start the lifting.

But this is going to be tricky for one man ,,,one OLD man to do by himself...

Forecast, no rain for tomorrow...

But rain and lots of wind on Monday....
But after that it looks good for long enough to get this done!

While it would be best to have 2 or 3 days of no wind and temps in the 70s.....that clearly is not going to happen with this project.
What is more likely is that I'm going to be struggling to raise this up for a few days...and then its going to be raining and windy when I'm out there mixing cement.....

Last edited:
today I will do a lot of the work to get ready for standing the monolith up.
I need to drag out and connect about 300 feet of water hose.
I need to find some buckets and a drill and beater to use to mix the cement.
I need to find a place to start stacking the bags of cement near the trench.

But I dont think i will start bring home the cement yet.
Im retired, and I find it a lot more easy to go to the lumberyard on a work day, than going there on a weekend with all the pissed-off worker bees running around in the stores when they all would rather be someplace else.

I will start hauling the bags of cement to my house tomorrow.
today Im going to just sit and admire how far I have come with this project so far.

I think it was less that a month ago i was sweeping the floor of my garage and laying the first 2x4 on the ground
and then just looking at it for a long time as I came up with "The Plan"

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back