Could We Add An 'Eye Roll' To The Reaction Emojis?

I know those are there, but for some reason, my Android phone won't access them. I was referring to the 'Like' section where you'd leave a thumbs up or laughing emoji.
I have the same problem on my iphone. A workaround is that you type in "colon" "rolleyes" "colon" all together in one word. Hover over the emojis smilies and the text equivalent should pop up when you are surfing this website on a compatible browser.

TazMan2000

I'm pretty new, so take my two cents for what they're worth... but I'd lean away from adding that to the automated reactions for the sake of civility.

As much as it's sometimes tempting to have a button for showing disagreement with a post, on balance, I appreciate that there's no "thumbs down" or other overtly passive-aggressive option. Of course, current ones such as "haha" and "wow" can be interpreted in that sense, but they're far outweighed by positive use. I think an automatic "eye roll" would yield a much higher proportion of negative use (justified or not). As TazMan2000 points out, it is already an option in a manual reply, but I think just that little bit of required effort serves to encourage a prospective user to at least momentarily consider the virtue of biting one's tongue.

And at least if the post in question is that of a troll... a better strategy than feeding him "eye rolls" is probably to not feed him anything.

I'm pretty new, so take my two cents for what they're worth... but I'd lean away from adding that to the automated reactions for the sake of civility.

As much as it's sometimes tempting to have a button for showing disagreement with a post, on balance, I appreciate that there's no "thumbs down" or other overtly passive-aggressive option. Of course, current ones such as "haha" and "wow" can be interpreted in that sense, but they're far outweighed by positive use. I think an automatic "eye roll" would yield a much higher proportion of negative use (justified or not). As TazMan2000 points out, it is already an option in a manual reply, but I think just that little bit of required effort serves to encourage a prospective user to at least momentarily consider the virtue of biting one's tongue.

And at least if the post in question is that of a troll... a better strategy than feeding him "eye rolls" is probably to not feed him anything.

I don't think there are so many trolls here, that you need a preprogrammed key to put in an :rolleyes: but you have to admit that when the first episode of the third season of Mandalorian appeared with a Hasbro Boba Fett Helmet, it certainly justified an :rolleyes: .

Most people here, if not all, seem to be civilized. Those who are not, won't be here long. There should be 'some' freedom of expression here. All emojis can't be positive.

TazMan2000

Thanks for the replies folks. I was wanting to be able to respond to specific posts with the eye roll, not add an eye roll to my comment. As mentioned, there aren't really any 'disagreeing' responses except 'mad', 'surprised', or 'sad'.

Those seem to be expressing more emotion than either a thumbs up or laughing emoji. If The powers that be have decided that a thumbs down reaction would be detrimental to the forum, then I guess they wouldn't want one that expressed what I wanted to.

There's a few members that love to hide their trolling behind the civility of this forum, & any responses to the contrary of their opinions or statements seem to be taken as trophies of 'getting under someone's skin'. If one click could give you the means to say "I agree" or "I love this" instead of writing a post to express the same, then I thought a way to say "I disagree" or "This is asinine" would be just as useful.

If this is considered as not trying to be civil, then apologies, but I think my history shows that I'm not really one to stir stuff up. I just think being able to show disagreement without wasting the time of a post would help deter those who feel like either silence or apathy are equal with agreement.

From what I assumed the mods took those out of the main reaction choices to comments because it tended to escalate conflicts. As stated above it's still an option, but it's likely overlooked so you see it used less these days. That's my best guess.

Last edited:
From what I assumed the mods took those out of the main reaction choices to comments because it tended to escalate conflicts. As stated above it's still an option, but it's likely overlooked so you see it used less these days. That's my best guess.
You're absolutely right, Psab. I can see how it could do that. I was thinking of it as more of a 'final' word on my part, as opposed to how it'd more than likely be used.

Carry on good ladies & gentlemen... I have been duly educated & admonished.

LOL

Seriously though, thanks for the responses. I wasn't fully looking at all the implications.

Not to mention there's already people who abuse the emoji system; when someone has another member they don't care for on "ignore", they can still use emojis as likes that they will see no matter if they block the person or not. Introducing the eyeroll emoji will only exacerbate that trend.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back