Lighters to collect that were used in movies

I watched Key Largo (1948) and Bogie whipped out a lighter around 20 minutes in to lite a cigarette for the 100+ year old Native American Indian lady, despite using a match earlier. It appears to be a flat Zippo (silver?), but it seems to have some vertical lines on it.

View attachment 1629080

Not to dig up old parts of this post from a couple years ago, but I watched Key Largo yesterday and found the scene described here...
The lighter in question is a "Park Sherman", shown here:

IMG_111703T.jpg

I went ahead and purchased the scratched one. I might be able to sand it down to get rid of the scratches, etc, but if it's chromed, it'd need rechromed (there are places that'll do that for you while wheels are being done, etc. It might be something new to try. I just doubt another better one will show up any time soon).

I repainted the Ronson "Chips" Lighter (1936) to the original Red/Green/Blue scheme. It might need some tiny touchup bits still (more obvious to the camera).

Click for larger picture/slideshow:

Ronson Chips Lighter Painted RGB 01.jpg Ronson Chips Lighter Painted RGB 02.jpg Ronson Chips Lighter Painted RGB 03 Lit.jpg

Last edited:
VonMagnum,
Since this thread is about lighters used in movies, I take it you have just a plain vintage Zippo in your collection among all those gorgeous table lighters and intricate pocket lighters? Being that it was the most prolific lighter on screen ever...
I've started compiling screenshots of Zippo usage from movies made during the first 30 or so years that Zippo existed. See the google drive folder HERE.
If you have more to add, let me know!

Last edited:
VonMagnum,
Since this thread is about lighters used in movies, I take it you have just a plain vintage Zippo in your collection among all those gorgeous table lighters and intricate pocket lighters? Being that it was the most prolific lighter on screen ever...
I've started compiling screenshots of Zippo usage from movies made during the first 30 or so years that Zippo existed. See the google drive folder HERE.
If you have more to add, let me know!
I've got some Zippos, but I don't think any are vintage. Zippos look so similar for the most part other than the case art I never really go into collecting them.

I think these are the extent of my actual Zippo brand (excluding clones) lighters:

Zippo All Seeing Eye s.jpg Zippo Brass Armor 01.jpg Zippo Candy Apple Red 01.jpg Zippo Scarlet Witch 01.jpg Zippo Clover Elsa Lucky Lighter Lit s.jpgZippo Purple Ace Lighter s.jpg

Park Sherman Lighter (1945)

This is the matching Park Sherman lighter from Key Largo (1948) with Humphrey Bogart before and after sanding and polishing it. It's not perfect, but I'd be sanding a long time to get out every divet, etc. I think it does look a lot better. I'm having some severe personal health problems (prayers appreciated), so if this is the last lighter I ever post, you'll have an idea why.

Click for larger photo/slideshow:

From Movie:

Key Largo Lighter.jpg

Before Sanding:

Park Sherman Lighter (Key Largo)(UnModified) 01.jpg Park Sherman Lighter (Key Largo)(UnModified) 02 Lit.jpg

After Sanding:

Park Sherman Lighter (Key Largo)(Sanded Polished) 03.jpg Park Sherman Lighter (Key Largo)(Sanded Polished) 04.jpg Park Sherman Lighter (Key Largo)(Sanded Polished) 05.jpg Park Sherman Lighter (Key Largo)(Sanded Polished) 06 Lit.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back