Old Ben Kenobi's Undershirt

RLH421

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi, I'm working on upgrading my Old Ben costume. I've been looking for photo's of his dark brown undershirt but all I find are pictures of Sir Alec wearing it under his tunic. Does anyone have or know of photos of just the shirt that they could share?

Obi-Wan-Ben-Kenobi-03.jpg

Wow, thanks! Those are great, and very reveling. I thought the shirt buttoned up on the side. That one photo looks like it the buttons went up almost the center.

In the movie it was a full shirt. In cosplay it might be a dicky. Especially in summer.

By the way where did you find that?

Isn’t it a “dickie” vs a full shirt?

View attachment 1816337

You can see the full shirt (sleeves and all) in the first picture I posted. No dickie that I'm aware of has sleeves. Also notice the button is sewn on the inside as well to fit with George's OT design ethos of "no visible fasteners." You can tell because there would normally be a button hole on a shirt cuff of that style, and you can see a slight dimple where the stitches show through (indicating a button on the inside of the cuff).

The shirt collar is a "Cossack" style according to John Mollo and has a hook and eye closure. It opens just off center of the front of the chest, though the mannequin is dressed haphazardly in some shots, which is advantageous for us so we can see the placket.

You can see the full shirt (sleeves and all) in the first picture I posted. No dickie that I'm aware of has sleeves. Also notice the button is sewn on the inside as well to fit with George's OT design ethos of "no visible fasteners." You can tell because there would normally be a button hole on a shirt cuff of that style, and you can see a slight dimple where the stitches show through (indicating a button on the inside of the cuff).

The shirt collar is a "Cossack" style according to John Mollo and has a hook and eye closure. It opens just off center of the front of the chest, though the mannequin is dressed haphazardly in some shots, which is advantageous for us so we can see the placket.
Your costume looks great. Do you mind me asking what your sources for the shirt pattern are? Comparing the photos posted by Psab keel to your photos, your shirt looks spot on.

Thank you. I developed my pattern based on these reference images that I posted. It was custom made and I still have some revisions to do when I make the updated version of the costume.

Thank you. I developed my pattern based on these reference images that I posted. It was custom made and I still have some revisions to do when I make the updated version of the costume.
I'm having a shirt made by a local sewist myself. My only clear references were from a set of Etsy patterns I bought. And her design for the collar has it buttoning up the shoulder. A design clearly different from what I'm seeing in the photos of the actual costume. It's good to get multiple references.

Good question. Both. During the shoot in Tunisia, for certain scenes he had them untucked, which was likely to help minimize heat where they could. Though some scenes they had them tucked if the inner silk robe had the potential to open and reveal the pants. In the last shot if you look can see the hem of the pants between the boot ankle and the hem of his silk robe.

AlecFryeBoots5.jpg

cantina.jpg
obi wan pants.jpeg

During production on the soundstages in London? Tucked. As seen in this split second frame from the movie where the robe opens up as he walks up the platform to the tractor beam. The pants are clearly tucked into the boots here. Also of note, the black Vibram soles with lugs on the Frye Campus 14L boots. The modern offerings, and even the ones used for Empire and Jedi, had the basic stacked leather soles.

AlecFryeBoots (2).jpg

Different soles for the Frye boots for Empire and Jedi, but the same ANH costume worn by Guinness given his limited role.

AlecFryeBoots (1).jpg
IMG_6838.jpeg
IMG_45093.jpg

GuinnessJedi1.jpeg

Good question. Both. During the shoot in Tunisia, for certain scenes he had them untucked, which was likely to help minimize heat where they could. Though some scenes they had them tucked if the inner silk robe had the potential to open and reveal the pants. In the last shot if you look can see the hem of the pants between the boot ankle and the hem of his silk robe.

View attachment 1818584
View attachment 1818586View attachment 1818587

During production on the soundstages in London? Tucked. As seen in this split second frame from the movie where the robe opens up as he walks up the platform to the tractor beam. The pants are clearly tucked into the boots here. Also of note, the black Vibram soles with lugs on the Frye Campus 14L boots. The modern offerings, and even the ones used for Empire and Jedi, had the basic stacked leather soles.

View attachment 1818588

Different soles for the Frye boots for Empire and Jedi, but the same ANH costume worn by Guinness given his limited role.

View attachment 1818589View attachment 1818590View attachment 1818591

View attachment 1818595
Excellent detective work. So as most things in life, it can go either way. It just depends which version your portraying.

12.jpg As you might see, I've got the got the untucked pant sleeve going on here. The fabric's not as cool looking as yours but it's a first try.

Being that I'm in Southern California and attend Cons here, Arizona, and Utah having a full under-tunic for my Old Ben Kenobi cosplay was out of the question. I'm in my 60s and I don't do hot uncomfortable costumes. I don't do uncomfortable shoes or masks or wigs or prosthetics or helmets.

Having a bit of equestrian experience in my teens I was familiar with the so-called "ratcatcher" or equestrian dickie used under the riding jacket to simulate a high all-around Priest-like collar.

I turned to Etsy and found this seller who custom sews ratcatchers. She said making a plain brown one with no shirt placket to centre was no problem.

Yes I know the original was a Cossack off-centre opening style, but I didn't want to make the order too complicated.

Another thing is that I decided on a kilt-length tunic rather than floor-length. (My outer robe is too light, I've dyed it much darker now.)

RfK91Uv.jpg

Being that I'm in Southern California and attend Cons here, Arizona, and Utah having a full under-tunic for my Old Ben Kenobi cosplay was out of the question. I'm in my 60s and I don't do hot uncomfortable costumes. I don't do uncomfortable shoes or masks or wigs or prosthetics or helmets.

Having a bit of equestrian experience in my teens I was familiar with the so-called "ratcatcher" or equestrian dickie used under the riding jacket to simulate a high all-around Priest-like collar.

I turned to Etsy and found this seller who custom sews ratcatchers. She said making a plain brown one with no shirt placket to centre was no problem.

Yes I know the original was a Cossack off-centre opening style, but I didn't want to make the order too complicated.

Another thing is that I decided on a kilt-length tunic rather than floor-length. (My outer robe is too light, I've dyed it much darker now.)

View attachment 1818630
Great photo! I don't know yet how much cosplay/trooping is done in southern Idaho but summers can be brutal here. I have an inner tunic dickie for my jedi costume that i got from Far Far Away Outfitters on Etsy. They made my Old Ben costume as well.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back