‘Apollo 11’ Trailer: The Moon Landing Documentary Critics Call ‘Astonishing’

70mm film??? They've had 70mm footage of all that all this time and never showed us before???
This looks beautiful, man. I need to find me an IMAX nearby...

I'm I the only one bothered by the fact that they've kept this from us for the last 50 years?

I'm I the only one bothered by the fact that they've kept this from us for the last 50 years?

There was some reports of lost hi def stuff some years ago.
Perhaps this was it and was finally found, or simply it was never tapped by any capable film makers so well. They have low res stuff cleaned up for this film too.

Apollo 11 in IMAX

oh...My...GOD!

What an incredible movie. So many scenes I’ve never seen before. The Saturn 5 launch was so amazing, and you could feel the rocket engines with the IMAX speakers.

Curious about the initial TLI burn footage. It was only a few seconds but it showed the ignition of the third stage.
What/where camera was capable of capturing that event????

BD77E64F-EA6E-403A-A7D6-4621150E611B.jpeg
Curious about the initial TLI burn footage. It was only a few seconds but it showed the ignition of the third stage.

I think it was this camera.

https://curious-droid.com/393/nasa-filmed-apollo-shuttle-launches/

I haven't seen the film yet so I don't what you saw, was it a view of the S-IVB from outside?

The TLI burn occurred in orbit several hours after launch, it's doubtful the tracking camera could capture it in any usable detail.

It was definitely a ground based camera.

I haven't seen the film yet so I don't what you saw, was it a view of the S-IVB from outside?

The TLI burn occurred in orbit several hours after launch, it's doubtful the tracking camera could capture it in any usable detail.

What? I haven't been paying attention. :lol:

Actually I liked "Apollo 11". More than "First Man," although the two films aren't directly comparable.

See Apollo 11 in IMAX if you can, it's a spectacle.

There was a ton of stuff that was new to me, and I thought I'd seen everything. The "black box" flight recorder of the astronauts on the far side of the moon (only recently released) is hard to hear, but lends an important element of realism to mission elements that were previously un-knowable because there was no radio transmission available.

Sound and audio is really well done too, creating "moments" when the visuals don't really carry the drama. Lots of count-downs and rumbles and percussion get your heart beating.

I guess the LESS you know about the Apollo missions going in, the more impactful the film will be, because you've never really had a grasp of it before.

The MORE you know about Apollo though, the more you'll get out of this film (because you WILL know what's going on).

k

Seeing this tomorrow evening before it leaves theaters. Unfortunately, it's not playing in IMAX anymore around me, but at least I'll get to see it once on a big screen. I listened to the Still Untitled episode today in preparation and I'm very excited!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back