“Sense of Scale” DVD - Where To Get It?

Do not know anywhere to get the DVD, but was watching the Star Wars part above.
At 11:57 is this pic of Dennis Muren filming the death star.
lightDS.jpg

I've really been trying to press in and learn how to set up a camera with lighting, (video with a Canon XA11 and still pictures with an Olympus E-M5)
Just last night I was using the Olympus and taking pictures of my death star. Trying different settings, these are 3 different shots that came out the best and moving the light a little each time and then a little bit of photoshop for that final pop.

Here it picked up that purplish haze of the blacklight and still a bit too much light on the left.
dslight1.jpg

Little better here. The model still has more shine than I would like even after spraying it with a super flat coat.
dslight2.jpg

This one I played a little more in photoshop and took off the purple haze.
dslight3.jpg

Seeing how hard it is to build, light and film a model to be believable makes it ALL the more awesome how those guys were doing it back in the day. I want to watch more of these videos just because its so crazy how they did so well back then.

Do not know anywhere to get the DVD, but was watching the Star Wars part above.
At 11:57 is this pic of Dennis Muren filming the death star.
View attachment 1431408

I've really been trying to press in and learn how to set up a camera with lighting, (video with a Canon XA11 and still pictures with an Olympus E-M5)
Just last night I was using the Olympus and taking pictures of my death star. Trying different settings, these are 3 different shots that came out the best and moving the light a little each time and then a little bit of photoshop for that final pop.

Here it picked up that purplish haze of the blacklight and still a bit too much light on the left.
View attachment 1431409

Little better here. The model still has more shine than I would like even after spraying it with a super flat coat.
View attachment 1431410

This one I played a little more in photoshop and took off the purple haze.
View attachment 1431411

Seeing how hard it is to build, light and film a model to be believable makes it ALL the more awesome how those guys were doing it back in the day. I want to watch more of these videos just because its so crazy how they did so well back then.
Awesome!

I think both of us are learning the meaning of the phrase: You snooze, you lose. Although thankfully, they are putting the segments on the tube.
Yeah, but being dependent upon a host to maintain those videos on YouTube doesn’t it fill me with confidence that they will “always be there” :(

Did Fon Davis close down the store section of his site? I remember buying the documentary and a how-to DVD from there. Now, I can't even find the store.

The producer of this should sell the rights to a streaming service like Netflix or Amazon. It would be worlds ahead of most documentary's on there. Just a thought if they read this, ; )

Watched a few so far. Very cool stuff.
Just watched the Die Hard one. Funny how when they blew up the helicopter at the top of the building, of course being a model there on the studio lot, close by neighbors still complained.
Guess it goes to show, being a small time guy with fireworks, or a bigger Hollywood production, people are always going to complain about something.

Watched a few so far. Very cool stuff.
Just watched the Die Hard one. Funny how when they blew up the helicopter at the top of the building, of course being a model there on the studio lot, close by neighbors still complained.
Guess it goes to show, being a small time guy with fireworks, or a bigger Hollywood production, people are always going to complain about something.
I remember the year I started in the industry I visited Boss film for an interview and they had the building outside set up in the parking lot on Maxella. It was both surreal and exciting. Little did I know I would start my career there only months later. Good times. So glad Burton got as many people interviewed as he did. Sadly Ive lost a lot of dear friends and mentors in recent years.

I remember the year I started in the industry I visited Boss film for an interview and they had the building outside set up in the parking lot on Maxella. It was both surreal and exciting. Little did I know I would start my career there only months later. Good times. So glad Burton got as many people interviewed as he did. Sadly Ive lost a lot of dear friends and mentors in recent years.
I wanted, and briefly tried to get in, mainly has an editor, as I've been doing that now for about 25 years. But sadly, things got messed up, which is a whole long story. Life sometimes just doesn't work out the way we would like. So now I just film, edit videos, build models and whatever for fun.

I wanted, and briefly tried to get in, mainly has an editor, as I've been doing that now for about 25 years. But sadly, things got messed up, which is a whole long story. Life sometimes just doesn't work out the way we would like. So now I just film, edit videos, build models and whatever for fun.
Well what I will say is if your doing what you enjoy now and are making a decent living you have done well. Dont get me wrong, its been a great ride and im extremely fortunate for the time and experience ive had. But it hasnt been without hardship. In 35 years I dont think ive ever taken a "real" vacation . I work 60 hours per week on average and you have to always plan to be unemployed 6 months out of the year if your lucky. Recent events with the strikes has made that worse. It is rewarding but not with out some measure of sacrifice. Being a below the liner means you are not afforded any of the perks that people in higher positions get and while what we do is a reward in of itself there does come a time when the few perks we do get dont make up for the hours lost missing family because your traveling or at the office more than at home. The media makes it look all glamorous but in truth that only happens for a small percentage of the industry. Its also frustrating when you pour yourself into your work only to have it torn apart by the fan base or general audience. You learn to ignore that part and focus on the process. That for me is the most rewarding , the process of design and problem sovling. And as you said life doesnt always work out the way we expect it to. We learn how to adapt and make the best of what we have. I love what I do even with the hardships and I cant imagine myself doing anything else .

Anyway, sorry for the long winded response.

Well what I will say is if your doing what you enjoy now and are making a decent living you have done well. Dont get me wrong, its been a great ride and im extremely fortunate for the time and experience ive had. But it hasnt been without hardship. In 35 years I dont think ive ever taken a "real" vacation . I work 60 hours per week on average and you have to always plan to be unemployed 6 months out of the year if your lucky. Recent events with the strikes has made that worse. It is rewarding but not with out some measure of sacrifice. Being a below the liner means you are not afforded any of the perks that people in higher positions get and while what we do is a reward in of itself there does come a time when the few perks we do get dont make up for the hours lost missing family because your traveling or at the office more than at home. The media makes it look all glamorous but in truth that only happens for a small percentage of the industry. Its also frustrating when you pour yourself into your work only to have it torn apart by the fan base or general audience. You learn to ignore that part and focus on the process. That for me is the most rewarding , the process of design and problem sovling. And as you said life doesnt always work out the way we expect it to. We learn how to adapt and make the best of what we have. I love what I do even with the hardships and I cant imagine myself doing anything else .

Anyway, sorry for the long winded response.
Your good.
I figured, knowing how corrupt Hollywood can really be behind the scenes, it was probably for the best.
I had a decent job for four years. Started as a driver delivering concrete supplies to job sites, but after photoshopping some pictures and hanging them up, they made a whole new role for me doing digital media type stuff, making short videos to advertise and things like that. Everything was going good. The owner was in a 5 or 6 year contract to sell, making it an employee owned company....but, last November, since he still owned it, came in, starting firing people, saying he wasn't happy with how it was being run.
Then, every month they would lay off a few more.
I got laid off back in February and heard that the owner didn't see the need for advertising.
That was quite a hard hit, as I liked the job, and everyone there liked me and were quite stunned they laid me off.
Now I've been facing medical issues, so haven't even got back to work yet.
I thankfully have parents who understand and are helping me get through all this. Not financially...yet.
Guess I out winded your out winded response.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back