3 Body Problem (Netflix series)

Just wondering why this thread I started in 2023 got buried and the mods didn't merge the newer thread posts here into the original one from 2023.

I don't tend to pay much attention to reviews, especially if it is something I am keen to see but I thought these two reviews on Dark Horizons were quite funny. Both had opposite reactions to the pacing of the same series. :lol:

1000015217.png

One episode away from finishing the first series and I'm impressed. They have done a good job adapting the books for a wider audience who possibly wouldn't tolerate the heavy, harder science of the books.

I hope to the universe that Netflix announce another 2 series so they can adapt the other 2 books and don't just drop this a third of the way in and leave us without a complete story because Netflix has been a bit of loose canon when it comes to cancelling popular shows.

I’m a little more than halfway through the Chinese version of the show. So far it’s spot on with the book.

I haven’t been subscribed to Netflix for a while. Are they still dropping the entire series at once?
I'm on Episode 6 and this has to be the slowest burning show I've ever watched. I think if I wasn't familiar with the book, I'd have bailed out a long time ago. I know us short attention span Americans aren't the be all, end all, so I'm coming at it biased. :)

One of the things I enjoyed in this English language adaptation is their choice of the UK to set the bulk of series 1. I wondered if that would bothered American viewers.

A couple of errors though, British ambulances don't make the same sounds as American ones which was distracting during the raid scene.

Also Alpen is not a cereal you can eat by hand out of the box which my girlfriend and I laughed about during that scene. It was clearly put in to make it a visual touch stone for American viewers. However, Alpen is museli and you would be lucky to get a whole almond or a raisin picked out amongst the lucky dip of dusty oats in a
packet.

I just have my fingers crossed that we get at least a second and third series.

I read the VR headset was made from metal then dipped in a mirror chrome coating which meant a lot of VFX work to remove the reflections during those scenes.
I think an electroplated 3D print would be cool for this prop if anyone decides to make one.
A great Youtube channel on how to electroplating 3D prints.

I think they’ve split the difference pretty well for the (Netflix) adaptation. A lot of book readers are screaming that it plows through Ye Wenjie’s background too quickly to thoroughly establish all the motivations behind her actions. The two actors performing her roles are just terrific!

I can only imagine how fun it was to polish those sets up before each take!

Last edited:
I'm on Episode 6 and this has to be the slowest burning show I've ever watched. I think if I wasn't familiar with the book, I'd have bailed out a long time ago. I know us short attention span Americans aren't the be all, end all, so I'm coming at it biased. :)
Yeeeeeeesssssssss, sloooooooooooooow burn indeed. But it held to the book well. The episodes werern't necessarily in order to the chapters in the book, but it was all covered.

Last edited:
It was a bit tough to get through some of the early episodes, but by mid-season or so I was hooked

I love the concept of the show. The human race has never been good at long term planning/thinking/consequences and to see how to handle something that is going to happen in 400 years is quite an interesting dilemma

I also love the idea of the wallfacer project and the complications it can bring. Giving someone essentially unlimited power and resources, but they cannot let anyone know what their plan is

It is a refreshing sci-fi story

I have not read the books, but I must at some point. Although I think I will wait for the show to be done. I don't want my enjoyment of the show to be replaced by criticism for changing this or that in the books

I am one of those weirdos that would prefer to see a movie/tv adaption first, then go read the books. In a way, it helps me to like the book more when I do read them.

like with the Harry Potter series, I had seen all the movie up through Goblet of Fire before I started reading the books, then I read the rest of the books first and each movie I was after that I did not enjoy as much because I kept wondering why this part was left out, or that they glossed over this other part etc...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back