56th Annual Grammys - Daft Punk

TK9336

Hi all, I guess the finished costumes sub forum is gone? I wanted to share the finished replicas I did just by the hair of my teeth in time for this years Dragon*Con. I was too driven to finish my current Discovery gear, which prevented me from wearing these suits for little more than a hour and a half on Friday. Sadly Discovery is still unfinished but I definitely wanted to show these off.

56th Annual Grammy Awards - Daft Punk Performance Costumes

As shot by Jang Choe:

Daft Grammy's Shoot with Jang Choe by TK9336, on Flickr

Here are a few color photos from the Con floor:

Grammys Daft Punk by TK9336, on Flickr

Grammys Daft Punk by TK9336, on Flickr

Daft Punk Grammys by TK9336, on Flickr

These were made in the span of 2 weeks.

Adjustments to be made would be:
  • A total repadding of Guy-Man's helmet to sit higher.
  • Both pairs of pants being taken in around the thighs and calves to recreate the skinny look which is very popular today, and would match the originals.
  • Thomas needs a proper visor, I was having issues with my metallic window tint and in a pinch a motorcycle visor was butchered to fit.
  • I also need to take off the top curve of the visor on Guy, but padding and cutting the visor to fit was all done in the hotel room Friday...with a pair of metal shears (left the dremel at home of course!)
  • Both white finishes are going to re done professionally in shop and get a proper clear coat so it's like a automobile finish.
  • New tight, form fitting balaclavas. These seems to be the only part of the Daft puzzle I have to totally figure out.

Credits:
  • Random Access Memories gloves sculpted by: Kevin Skiera
  • Random Access Memories Guy-Man expertly recreated by: Pedro Aloha (upon my request he even made one ear puck larger than the other based on all the new images from the new helmets. Believe or not, one side is considerably larger. I can't thank him enough for doing that for me!)
  • Random Access Memories Thomas: Igor Pinski (this is his V1 I've had around the house for a couple years now and was trying to find a use for it, glad I did!)
  • Daft's Grammy suits were made from scratch from my own notes, and references to my tailor half a world away in Thailand. This is the second Daft project I've had him do and he's really been hitting the nail on the head. They are lightweight wool, just like the originals in regards to matching the fabric.

On last note I had, with my Dad, rebuilt a mobile Grammy Stagebooth to perform for the Masquerade at Dragon*Con. Our Pharrell had to cancel his con on short notice and it was best to just do it next year with a full band that accompanied Daft for the 56th Annual Grammys.

Daft Punk Grammys by TK9336, on Flickr

Thanks!

Can't get over the visor on the guy helmet ! Will you be doing the darker gold for the discovery helmet ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can put mesh behind the gold visor but I doubt it will make it darker. I am almost suspect it was all the same color, its just the photographer. Even in these photos you can see difference in tone just be the different lighting, etc.

I anticipate just popping the Grammy one out and placing it in my Discovery lid for the Discovery/Transition helmets. The downside to Mogaui's Guy-Man (what I used as the base and modded heavily) is that his visors aren't perfectly vac formed and have small defects and such over the entire surface (which I suspect because of the thin PETG he uses.) Chroming one of his vac'd visors would bring all those little defects to the surface very loudly. If he used a thicker PETG like Pedro Aloha, or Sorenzo's I think those defects would go away. Standing on its own it doesn't hold it's shape nearly as well as Sorenzo's or Pedro's.

As far as the all gold Discovery/Hybrid goes, it's the same gloves with a new jacket, jeans, and Timberland work boots. I will have that for the "Era's of Daft Punk" showing next year at Dragon*Con, the only trick will be to find people to fill out all my costumes. Though, I suspect the Transition costumes will have to wait because essentially its just taking the Discovery/HAA helmets I had and just switching parts around. I want to have a dedicated set of Transition lids, but man...it's way too expensive. I will be able to show them on their own, but in conjunction with the other helmets the parts would have to be borrowed from (if that makes sense.)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back