About The mummy returns prop-Help!!!

Thanks guys!

I'll make a consoldated PDF of the book pages and post that (when I remember how to upload a PDF). Then if you want to make your own book you should be able to massage the pages into a printable book signature format.

Here are two PDFs; one for the double page with the information about the 'year of the scorpion' and the other for some Egypt and mummy related photos to stagger through the earlier section of the book.

Even though you don’t see them in the film, I have created a couple of title pages for the book.

I decided to call the book ‘Egyptian Astronomy’, as that would seem the most likely volume to include information about calendar years. Unfortunately (as far as I could find) there wasn’t a consolidated book on astronomy or calendars until around 1940, which as The Mummy Returns is set in 1933 doesn’t quite fit. The book also looks like an older and well used. So I decided to make the book published by the Egypt Exploration Fund (who changed their name in 1919 to the Egypt Exploration Society), and I found one of their publications to base my title pages on with a publication date of 1898 - which would make it 35 at the time it was used in the film, that seems pretty reasonable to me!

I added the EEF seal/logo, mostly because I like it and think it looks good on the page but also to tie in with the library binders you see in The Mummy (1999) which have a version of the EEF seal modified into an EES one.

I think this is my last update on this thread (unless anyone has any questions/comments of course). I will probably make a build thread over in the Replica Props forum though :D

Attachments

• PhotoPages.pdf
    711.9 KB · Views: 79
  • YearOfTheScorpion.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 64
  • TitlePages.pdf
    523.6 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
one last recommendation is perhaps looking through the font archives for a vintage typeface?

Unfortunately that’s not an option for the two main pages (for me anyway), because you see those two pages fairly clearly in the film and they’re made out of what looks to be Times New Roman, which the Internet tells me was first released in 1932. So technically it’s anachronistic to my book’s 1989 cover pages, although it would tenuously fit in with the film being set in 1933 (if you ignore that the book looked old in the film itself).

The title pages I made are made from actual screenshots of a 1898 EEF published book (about hieroglyphs), because I was too lazy to type the words out and do the formatting. So they’re as period correct as you can get.

I do still wonder if this was a real book that they just stuck in two extra pages, or if it was something made and aged especially for the film. Without the book turning up somewhere I can’t see we’ll ever find that out though...

RobertMuldoon Looks nice. (Like this thread I am also resurfacing). For those of you who'd like to fill their cabinet a bit more with period pieces here's some photos of real egyptologists in Karnak (from Wilbour's travels in Egypt). :Wilbour, Travels in Egypt, photo after page 240.jpgWilbour, Travels in Egypt, photo after page 240 (2).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back