Advanced Potion Making Pages

Metelpaw

Hi, does anyone now where artwork and text from Advanced Potion making is?? if you have any links or suggestions I would be happy to hear because I am trying to make my own copy!:D:D
Below are a few experiments I found from this really helpful Alchemy book called The Art of Distillation
Link:John French - The Art of Distillation

A WAY TO SEPARATE FRESH WATER FROM SALT WITHOUT A FURNACE OR MUCH TROUBLE

Take a cauldron with a great and high cover having a beak or nose, set it upon a trivet, and under it put a fire. Let this be filled with salt water, and there will presently distill off a good quantity of fresh water into a receiver which must be joined to the nose of the aforesaid cover.
This is of good use for seamen that want fresh water, for by this means they may distill a good quantity in 24 hours, especially if they have any considerable number of the aforesaid vessels, a figure whereof is this which follows.

jfren35.gif(here is the image that goes with the experiment)

TO EXTRACT A WHITE MILKY SUBSTANCE FROM THE RAYS OF THE MOON

Take a concave glass and hold it against the moon when she is at the full in a clear evening. Let the rays thereof being united fall upon a sponge, and the sponge will be full of a cold milky substance which you may press out with your hand and gather more. De-La-Brosse is of the opinion that this substance is of the substance of the moon, but I cannot assent to him in that. Only this I say, if this experiment were well prosecuted, it might produce, for ought I know, such a discovery which might be the key to no small secrets.
TO CONDENSE THE AIR IN THE HEAT OF SUMMER AND IN THE HEAT OF THE DAY INTO WATER

Fill an earthen vessel unglazed, made pointed downward, and fill it with snow water (which must be kept all the year) in which is dissolved as much nitre as the water would dissolve. Let the vessel be close stopped. Hold this vessel against the sun and the air will be so condensed by the coldness of the vessel that if will drop down by the sides thereof.
HOW TWO SORTS OF VOLATILE SALTS WILL BE FIXED BY JOINING THEM TOGETHER

Take a strong lixivium made of unslaked lime, and evaporate it.
Whereas you would expect to find a salt at the bottom, there is none, for all the salt in the lixivium is vapored away, and the more the liquor is evaporated the weaker the lixivium becomes, which is contrary to other lixiviums. Also, if you take the spirit of vinegar and evaporate it, you shall find no salt at the bottom. Now, if you take the clear lixivium of lime and spirit of vinegar, of each a like quantity, and mix them together and evaporate the humidity thereof, you shall find a good quantity of salt at the bottom which tastes partly hot and partly acid. This salt, being set in a cold cellar on a marble stone and dissolved into an oil, is as good as any lac virginis to clear and smooth the face and dry up any hot pustules in the skin, as also against the itch and old ulcers to dry them up.

A WAY TO PURGE AND PURIFY TROUBLED AND MUDDY WATERS

Fill a great pot with puddled water, and put a soft and gentle fire under it. Lay some bricks across on the pot brims, and upon the sticks lay clean wool or a sponge well washed. Now the wool drinks up the vapors that ascend which you then must wring out and lay on the wool again. This you may do until you have as much clean water as you desire. The manner of this distillation is described thus.

jfren36.gif

A. Signifies the pot.
B. The fire.
C. The sticks.
D. The wool.
This is of use for them that can come at no other waters but what are troubled, as it falls out many times in some places.

This is just a few of the experiments and pictures, but does anyone now where I could find more?

(especially the INGREDIENT/POTION/ANTIDOTE MEDIEVALMETHOD chart??

Last edited by a moderator:
(sorry, the name is the same to Another thread, it should be "Advanced Potion Making Pages images and text)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back