Amazon's BLADE RUNNER 2099 Series

The Blade Runner Black Lotus story line was kind of interesting with the whole "doll hunt" thing and if done something like that I would watch

Unfortunately the "video game cut scene" style of animation did not do it any favor and kind of ruined it a bit for me

I kind of like the idea of an anthology type of series. Each season do a different story line within the universe.

Ridley Scott did that with his The Terror series

A 5 or 6 season arc seems a bit too much for a Blade Runner type story

Last edited:
I wasn't just making a cheap shot at "wokeness", if that's what you're implying. We already know that Amazon has an internal policy regarding a diversity quota in all future productions (Amazon "Inclusion Policy") that would, no doubt, be applied to Blade Runner.
The policy is well-intentioned, but in the end it's still a creative restriction.
This is an excerpt from their policy, if anyone is interested. Since this is Amazon I don't think we can avoid addressing this altogether, but I also don't want to derail this discussion either.

In the beginning I was also convinced that 2049 was going to be a terrible mistake. Boy was I wrong. BR 2049 was lightning in a bottle for sure. So I won't exclude the (remote) possibility that this show might actually be good. But don't blame me for being really, really skeptical.

But I feel the opposite about Rogue One. I'd rather see more of that and The Mandalorian than just more and more Jedi and Skywalker lore. I will fight you on that.

Ehhh I get how their policy may seem crazy, but if you walk into the studios their projects are being made, they're basically just listing off their employees.... Probably not shocking, but the "Freaks and Geeks" and outcasts of the high schools - who these days fall into a lot of those categories - end up working in the nerd industry. I'm in a studio of 12 right now (the rest are work from home) and yeah... the whole spectrum in that dozen. So I do get why these policies happen- but I also get it looks super forced. And it's gonna look forced - I've worked 26 years in animation and it used to be 80% white male when I first got in... and the output reflected that.

On Blade Runner 2049 - I agree... at the TIME, if I could have cancelled one movie from happening it would have been that one. I was super skeptical... (and had never seen a Denis V movie. I mean French Canadian?!?! No thanks! Booooo). But I feel now like any more Bladerunner is pushing our luck... Happy to be proved wrong - but I just love those two movies so much.

Love the Madalorian, cuz it brought fun back into Star Wars... and has multiple times showed me things I haven't yet seen (Cop pullover moment... Inglorious Basterds undercover drinks with nazis scene starring Bill Burr). Rogue One had no fun and all I see is Scowly McAndor and his painted life jacket vest. TELL ME IT'S NOT A PAINTED LIFE JACKET.

I’m down for this. Hopefully they hire a some great writers for this series. BR49 is an underrated film both visually and narratively. The weakest part is the Ford sequences. A little forced to say the least but it’s a very rewatchable movie. When ever it’s on I find myself sticking around. The 3D version on Blu Ray is also great.

Blade Runner, isn't that the sci Fi movie where the alcoholic ex-cop defiles a 3 year old, kills a couple of women and then skips town?
By 3 year old, I assume we're meaning Rachael? Well, if Deckard's a replicant, then maybe he's also a 3 year old - or even a 6 year old - and doesn't have enough life experience to know better? :unsure:

That's what I've told myself for years to keep it from bothering me, anyway. Though I still give a warning if I'm showing it to someone for the first time.

It's funny; people like to argue Deckard's status from a story perspective. I say he's a replicant because it allows his behavior to be less problematic!

Last edited:
I'm kind of surprised it's getting more live-action treatment so soon when 2049 failed to break even only five years ago. Then again, if any studio was going to take the risk, I suppose the same one that bet a billion on TROP does seem to fit.

TV strikes me as a bit of an odd medium for Blade Runner, though. Granted, I haven't seen the recent anime or read the novel, but I've always thought of the original film as primarily an experiential work as opposed to a narrative one, and overall 2049 achieved a comparable feel (with the notable exception, in my opinion, of the score). Obviously there are characters and there is plot, but it's the concentrated experience of spending multiple hours so entirely immersed in the world's atmosphere and the intense mood set by the stories' very fundamental philosophical ideas that I find most compelling. I'm not sure how well that works if broken into one-hour segments and spread out over weeks. But hey - hopefully I'm wrong!
Production costs estimation: $150 - 180 million
Worldwide returns estimation: $ 260 million
I would say that Alcon & Co and everybody involved made their money on that one. ;)
A series seems to me a good idea; Lord knows how much good writing could make this one a hit...good writing must I emphasis again!
I hope that D. People and others could deliver the goods...I hope:unsure:

Production costs estimation: $150 - 180 million
Worldwide returns estimation: $ 260 million
I would say that Alcon & Co and everybody involved made their money on that one. ;)
Unfortunately, you have to account for marketing and distribution. The general rule-of-thumb is to double the production cost to calculate revenue needed to break even.

So ~ $165 x 2 = $330, - $260 = a loss of about $70 million (some estimates put it closer to $80 million), which is pretty solid box-office bomb territory.

Last edited:
I think there are still some elements that PKD brought up in the original novel that are worth exploring within the greater Blade Runner universe. Whether or not Amazon/Ridley can or will delve into them we'll just have to see.
I would hope now that as between the films, animated short series, and comics a lot of territory has been covered they go back to the source material, to what the book was all about.

I think there are still some elements that PKD brought up in the original novel that are worth exploring within the greater Blade Runner universe.

Can you give an example, or would it spoil the novel? [I should get around to reading it one of these days.]

By 3 year old, I assume we're meaning Rachael? Well, if Deckard's a replicant, then maybe he's also a 3 year old - or even a 6 year old - and doesn't have enough life experience to know better? :unsure:

That's what I've told myself for years to keep it from bothering me, anyway. Though I still give a warning if I'm showing it to someone for the first time.

It's funny; people like to argue Deckard's status from a story perspective. I say he's a replicant because it allows his behavior to be less problematic!
Nope...Deckard ain't a Rep...only 2049 is showing the real power of a RepDetect...himself a Replicant! Deckard's humanity is restored by Batty saving him, that's why he cannot eliminate Rachael (and other reasons also;)) and is retiring into the sunset.
I think that the Replicants working on the Off-World colony hasn't been exploited at its full range. We're talking highly trained A.I. Soldiers, or other type of workers, rebelling and coming back on Earth to get away from the horrors attached to their jobs.
Also, a good idea should be to mix humans and Replicants in that Blade Runner squads of detectives. Should make for different situations, either philosophical or comical at times for both parties involved.

Idea for an Off-World story:

Scene:
night shot, the rain has abated and the BR group is investigating the killing of a Replicant. Police lights from the Spinners, as well as neon are reflected onto the wet pavement. Crowd is watching and controlled by regular cops. The City din is a constant background of various noises.

Main RepDetect: "what do we have here?"

RepDetect colleague: "Got a call at around 1:30PM of a body lying on the street, near the "Crate" bar. We've done the scan and it matches a Replicant missing from the LV5 Colony; name is Pheryss Drake...his job description was: security guard overseeing ammunition depot. That's all I have for now; I'll get more info once I'm back at the nest. The witness didn't identify himself on the call, btw."

Main RepDetect: "Shot by us...or someone else?"

RepDetect colleague: "Funny you mentioned that...someone else and..." (interrupted by a regular cop)

Regular Cop 1: "Look at the round we've found imbedded in the wall! It literally went through his body... never saw that one before?!"(showing it to the two RepDetect, holding it between two fingers while walking toward the main RepDetects).

Main RepDetect: "What the hell is that?" (grabbing the round from the regular cop and holding it, eye level, at his colleague).

RepDetect colleague: "Now that's a new kind of ammunition or I've been out drinking at The Emerald Bar for too long! Do we have a portable scan available here?" (turning/shouting to the group of investigators busy collecting evidences from the scene).

Regular cop 2: "Here, we have one on standby...we'll compare it to the A.List" (the Regular Cop 2 is holding a flat screen with 3 right side buttons and an antenna on top)

Main RepDetect: "Here, let's see what will come up." (Regular Cop 2 places the round on top of the screen; a light bar goes across it and illuminate the unknown object. A green light flickers on the portable scan, and photos of various rounds/ammunitions are flashing on the screen at a fast speed until a red box appear with the words: "UNKNOWN AMMUNITION - PLEASE TRY AGAIN".

RepDetect Colleague: "Well, that went well! Let's try again...maybe the scanner is not charged fully or something" (rolling his eyes while grabbing the machine from the hands of Regular Cop 2)
"I've worked before with those and they can be particular sometimes!" (all the while pushing some buttons and trying to scan the round once more while Regular Cop 2 is frowning).

RepDetect Colleague: "Nope...doesn't work!" (handing the machine back to Regular Cop 2 while turning to face Main RepDetect) "This is not on the official A.List given to us by Tyrell Corp; I hope for him that this is not an Off World, unregistered, type of ammo that his designers produced and failed to disclose the existence to our Police Force!"

Main RepDetect: "We'll have to ask special permission to go talk to him about it...I'm not looking forward to Bradley's reaction when he's gonna hear about that one! We better pack it and head down to headquarters while the team finishes up here. Brace for an interesting conversation with Bradley when we'll tell him the story about someone, shooting a Replicant with Off World ammo and weapon, loose in his City!"

RepDetect colleague: "Yeah...cannot wait for the drama; my job is soo boring that I really need that in my life!" (walking toward their Spinner).

Last edited:
Can you give an example, or would it spoil the novel? [I should get around to reading it one of these days.]
The novel is definitely worth reading. But without spoiling anything I think it would be interesting to delve into the paranoia of questioning one's reality. If their memories are their own or a facsimile. It was touched on in the films and I think the current Westworld show did a pretty good job of using that idea: "What are we if our life experiences are not real" but in the world of Blade Runner it could be expanded upon. Also, while not mentioned in any of the film adaptations, the role of Mercerism, the Mood organ (itself a way of artificially creating a personality), and the Voight-Kamph test being potentially fallible.

I was thinking maybe it could explore as some think, the BR and Alien Universe being one and the same .. I wonder if it is and real animals are all but gone in BR then what's Jones in Alien ? A little off topic I know . Let's hope it's a good show !

2049 was a braindead story driven by a braindead villain. All Wallace had to do is concentrate on breeding livestock for food and have humans fill the roles of replicants. Humans can breed, so population is not a challenge. Why was he intent on reinventing the wheel??

Besides, the actual 2099 story would be about replicants wondering about their origin. Humans would be extinct by then. After the replicants wake Teddy and David they will get their answers.

I just noticed the OTHER thread already devoted to Blade Runner 2099, started back in February...

Should we maybe close this thread and switch over to that one?

[No disrespect to JoeG ; just not sure if it makes sense to continue with two going simultaneously.]

2049 was a braindead story driven by a braindead villain. All Wallace had to do is concentrate on breeding livestock for food and have humans fill the roles of replicants. Humans can breed, so population is not a challenge. Why was he intent on reinventing the wheel??

Besides, the actual 2099 story would be about replicants wondering about their origin. Humans would be extinct by then. After the replicants wake Teddy and David they will get their answers.
God syndrome springs to mind...

And Teddy being the moral compass always knew best.

And easily the best character in the film..

The God syndrome springs to mind...but to have all humans wiped from the face of the Earth is somewhat interesting while still a bizarre idea:unsure:
If we accept the philosophical premise that God, an omnipresent, omniscience and omnipotent created Mankind in his image because, by doing so, He could fulfill something he didn't have: limits!
As we know, our first and most important limit as human is our life! (and all/everything that encompass our daily existence!). Is the life-span of a Replicant still 4 years...or more?
That would be their first limit. Human thoughts and behaviors (building memories, whether true or false) would be another limit.
How would they reproduce? Maybe that's another limit?
So, in the end; they're not God since they're limited artificial beings...

In the PKD book the Androids (only detectable by bone marrow ) are a series, so can be made identical as a model unit , similar to Arnie's Terminator . This gives room for D B to return as a Sapper Morton looking replicant , I think the show would gain a lot of viewers if he was in it ! I'm no B R expert BTW so if I've missed a point of detail then it's down to lack of knowledge ..

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back