Annoying Leia Anakin- children ruined prequels and Kenobi rant

DarkKnight

Sr Member
SO annoying, child Leia, ruined Kenobi, the kids act like they are so skilled and adultish, like Anakin is a great pod racer and can fly a fighter, yeah right. Like maybe Gary Coleman/Arnold can drive in NASCAR or fly an F-14 Tomcat, as usual Disney is idiotic, they think they can recreate Grogu everywhere or that kids identify with this and this makes the show better, I believe even kids think its stupid, and who is the stupid kid in Ashoka? Who is writing this drivel? purple haired high schoolers?

IMG_8017.jpeg

Seem like thats what DarkKnight has the issue with?

An actor follows the lines they are given. If a character is written with adult dialog, is written to be wiser than the more experienced characters they are playing against, is written to be good at everything just because, and is written to never make mistakes, I don't think their excellent performance will be able to overcome the annoyance of the character as written. I feel that Anakin falls into this trap, as do Leia and Rey.

I daresay this is a problem with very many child (and child-style) roles in "adult" productions, not just Star Wars. See almost any movie based on a Stephen King novel.

EDIT:
I have ONE exception to the "rule" I wrote above:

1713973945449.png

Elliott makes no mistakes, is always right, is always smarter than the adults, and arguably shows no real growth beause he was never flawed in the first place.
Yet, I don't care, because IMO, no other child's performance has come close to this good, Oscar or not.

Last edited:
its not the performance its the implausibility of the story, Judith Grimes is possible, super Leia and Anakin are just dumb, Disney sucks and Lucas does too.

GL is the chosen one, he has brought balance to Star Wars, the same happiness and imagination the OT brought has now been equalized with stupidity and unhappiness, and actually thinking about it he has brought more pain than happiness now, condemn him to exile along with all involved in ST Discovery

Last edited:
SO annoying, child Leia, ruined Kenobi, the kids act like they are so skilled and adultish, like Anakin is a great pod racer and can fly a fighter, yeah right. Like maybe Gary Coleman/Arnold can drive in NASCAR or fly an F-14 Tomcat, as usual Disney is idiotic, they think they can recreate Grogu everywhere or that kids identify with this and this makes the show better, I believe even kids think its stupid, and who is the stupid kid in Ashoka? Who is writing this drivel? purple haired high schoolers?

..have you ever seen the movie, "On the Right Track" with Gary Coleman?

...because Disney now owns this film.

An actor follows the lines they are given. If a character is written with adult dialog, is written to be wiser than the more experienced characters they are playing against, is written to be good at everything just because, and is written to never make mistakes, I don't think their excellent performance will be able to overcome the annoyance of the character as written. I feel that Anakin falls into this trap, as do Leia and Rey.

I daresay this is a problem with very many child (and child-style) roles in "adult" productions, not just Star Wars. See almost any movie based on a Stephen King novel.

EDIT:
I have ONE exception to the "rule" I wrote above:

View attachment 1813161

Elliott makes no mistakes, is always right, is always smarter than the adults, and arguably shows no real growth beause he was never flawed in the first place.
Yet, I don't care, because IMO, no other child's performance has come close to this good, Oscar or not.

While we are engaged in debating things that don’t really matter all that much, in the grand scheme of things—which, honestly, is my favorite of all the topics on the RPF—I would like to offer my input…

I would argue that Neil Breen gave a better line reading than E.T….

Last edited:
..have you ever seen the movie, "On the Right Track" with Gary Coleman?

...because Disney now owns this film.
surprised the haven't tried to ruin it by turning him a diffrent color and cgi making him regular height, disgusting the pictures his GF sold of him in the ICU

The actress wasn't the problem. The story (or lack there of) and cannon breaking events is what made the show so bad.. now little Leia out running grown mercenary men was utterly stupid.

Pretty much every single kid I have ever met or know today is an idiot. Pretty much every kid in media is a genius miniature adult.

Kids are hard to write.

If you write them accurately then they are usually annoying to the viewer. (The average viewer does not relish spending time with random kids IRL, do they?) You almost have to boost the kid's brains/competence just to keep the show watchable.

But knowing just how much to add is a delicate balancing act. The correct amount changes A LOT depending on the kid's age.

And kids themselves vary dramatically. That means some adult viewers will have very different ideas than others about what is "normal" for a kid character of a certain age & experience level. There are some 13yo kids who can take care of a household & siblings for a couple days on their own. Other 13yo kids can barely be trusted to tie their shoes and flush a toilet. Both extremes exist in real life.

True, but it HAS been done well. In addition to Elliiott from E.T., there are also The Goonies. And the Honey, I Shrunk the Kids crew were fairly accurate and engaging too. Henry Thomas again in Cloak & Dagger.

The characters who make up the crew of the Starship Enterprise on Strange New Worlds are very accurate portrayals of children…

IMG_4342.jpeg

We try harder to suspend disbelief with child actors because we know they're never going to be very good. At best we hope the kid doesn't make us cringe.

I can think of one exception. If you've seen Train to Busan you know what I'm talking about. It is at the end when the father was just bitten by a zombie and has to get away before he turns. He is trying to convince his daughter that everything will be OK, but all she just wants is for her dad to stay with her. This is the most genuine performance I've ever seen from a kid.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back