Avengers: Age of Ultron (Pre-release)

I've got a long time to go before I can see AoU. I'll be stuck on a large ship in the Caribbean when it comes out in the U.S., talk about poor vacation planning.

I wonder if they would run it opening weekend on a Disney cruise.

I think it would depend largely on when the ship set sail, if it set sail on the Wednesday or Thursday before release day, then maybe.

I'm not on a Disney cruise so it doesn't really matter in this case. They should make that a thing though, Premiere Week Cruises! Between Marvel, Lucasfilms, Pixar and regular Disney films they could pack in a lot of them per year.

I commented about this in another comic book group I belong to. Her character may not necessarily be a "****", but she'll do anything to come out on top of every situation.

Widow: The truth is a matter of circumstances, it's not all things to all people all the time. And neither am I.
Cap: That's a tough way to live.
Widow: It's a good way not to die, though.
Cap: You know, it's kind of hard to trust someone when you don't know who that someone really is.
Widow: Yeah. Who do you want me to be?
Cap: How about a friend?
Widow: [chuckles] Well, there's a chance you might be in the wrong business, Rogers.

I know people think she doesn't deserve her own movie, but I think she's a fascinating character. Glad they at least keep putting her in as a supporting character into all these other MCU movies.

They were clearly joking.

Meaning what? That no one should ever be offended by anything as long as it's a joke? The way I see it, this kind of behavior isn't appropriate when joking about a female character in a universe that even up to this point has only done movies squarely around it's male characters. Some of these male characters even have sexual escapades that are used as a source of charm and relatability even if they treat the women they've slept with as complete toss aways. All this does is say that it's ok to jokingly call any woman a ****/***** for no reason at all. There are many ways to joke about relationships that don't rely solely on derogative attitudes towards a specific gender.

And the irony? Natasha has had no prior romantic interests up until this movie, but Bruce Banner HAS. Yet it's her character that's the center of these jokes. And that's all Chris and Jeremy say! They don't talk about what the Natasha/Bruce relationship is really like, how it affects both of the characters or even what their respective characters think about it. It's all about the **** shaming jokes.

Her character may not necessarily be a "****", but she'll do anything to come out on top of every situation.

No. That is not the appropriate comparison to make when it comes to Natasha. What makes her character dynamic different form everyone else is not who she sleeps around with (which is never a factor), but whether she's really on the same side of the good guys. Steve Rogers had just come off from fighting for his life when every SHIELD agent he's worked with turned on him in a heartbeat without hesitation. Now he's working with someone who deliberately keeps people in the dark and who's methods are not as morally just as Rogers'.

And really, a character who will do anything to come out on top of every situation can describe many MCU characters. Some who have never been established at having any kind of sexual encounter at all. An example? ALL THE VILLAINS! So the appropriate comparison for Natasha would be that she may not be a villain, but she'll resort to villainous tactics to get the job done.

Jasper: Is this little display meant to insinuate that you're gonna throw me off the roof? Because it's really not your style, Rogers.
Steve: You're right. It's not. It's hers.
*Natasha kicks Jesper off the roof*​

But Natasha isn't a bad guy, which is why Jesper doesn't fall to his death.

The point I was trying to make was that she's so morally ambiguous that I don't think anything is off the table as long as it helps her achieve her endgame.

Being here in the States, obviously I haven't had a chance to see the movie yet. I'm interested to see this relationship they've been teasing between her and Banner. As someone who almost never lets her guard down, I'm interested to see how this is developed.

FIRST OFF, I highly doubt you would of said anything if it was Iron Man being called a **** or a ****. Secondly, this the internet. So who cares if someone says something regarding something. It's your OWN opinion. So there you go.

If you'd wait until you've ACTUALLY seen the film you'll release the whole use of "bad" language is a joke amoungst ALL the Avengers, because of a certain Iron Man/ Captain America moment. And given that Natasha is actually an assassin who KILLED PEOPLE (and still does but they are bad people so it doesn't matter does it?) you think thats the most terrible term to use to describe he?r.
I'm interested Jeyl in the constant feminist agenda you bring to the forum ALL the time. Its unusal to find this degree of moralistic outrage in the fairer sex, let alone somebody who I assume is a bloke. I'd have thought this attitude would find plenty of work for it out in the real world ,not the fictional one. why bring it here?

Men call their friends the C word all the time, its when we call strangers pal or mate, that things are usually about to kick off.

Personally I thought the character was short-changed in the film, but as this isn't the spoiler thread I wont get into it here.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back