Bandai 1:72 X-Wing builds Red Squadron ANH and beyond

RubiconLJ

Long time lurker and first time I'm posting some of my builds here, I'm not up to par with most of you on here, but here we go anyway. These were built over the past two years from Dec 2022 to now. My photography skills get a little better as we go on.

Red Leader
IMG_0035.JPG

Red 2
IMG_0034.JPG

Red 3
IMG_0072.JPG

Red 4
IMG_0066.JPG

Red 5
IMG_0048.JPG

Red 6
IMG_0050.JPG

Blue Leader
IMG_0090.JPG

I also have a Cavern Angel done, but it looks like I never took any pictures of it.

Thanks for looking.

Cooooooool! These look really nice! I really want to build out a Red Squadron one day. I have Red 2, 4, and 6 so far. Working on a studio scale Red 3, as well as a few misc X-Wings (one from Vanguard squadron, for example). I also have a Cavern Angel on my wishlist! Lots to do!

SB

Thanks Steven. My name is Dave and I've got an X-Wing problem. LOL

Beyond these 7 pictured and the Cavern Angel, I've finished 3 FM 1/72 and 1 FM 1/48.

Found some shots of these and a few others that are in the display case in my office.

IMG_0590.JPG
IMG_0591.JPG

Currently working on a ninth Bandai T-65 which will be done with the McQuarrie concept art as inspiration. Will be doing a T-70 in that same scheme as well after that.

Great work
I understand the problem
I've got the same X-Wing problem. I have built a 1/72 Red Squadron as well. Got Red 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 12 done. have the kits, but unbuilt for Red 10 in addition to having 2 1/48 ones and 1 Fine Molds 1/72 one as well as the old 1/43 MPC one

If round2 ever brings out a new 1/48 or larger X-Wing I will not be able to resist building then in that scale

Thank you Analyzer. Ozzman's "All Wings Report In" thread from about eight years ago was my initial inspiration when I found it while searching after I'd bought my first couple Bandai ones, I just had to go as complete as I could.

Nice squadron Jkirkon, someday I'll attempt a studio scale. Largest I've done is the FM 1:48 which I finished in 2018. It was done with the salt chipping method.

IMG_0022.JPG

IMG_0024.JPG
IMG_0027.JPG

I've been toying with biting the bullet and picking up a Bandai 1:48 one, but may go the printed route as I have the same files that SteveBills used for his. Mine would be all resin printed as I don't have an FDM printer, just resin.

I've been toying with biting the bullet and picking up a Bandai 1:48 one, but may go the printed route as I have the same files that SteveBills used for his. Mine would be all resin printed as I don't have an FDM printer, just resin.
NerdMaker released his more accurate Red 3 and Red 5 STLs recently if you're going to be printing one at studio scale. They're even 30% off at CGTrader right now.

When you start that build, please be sure to post a WIP thread!

SB

And now for a WIP on something I've not seen anyone do before. A T-65 in the McQuarrie concept art scheme. I apologize for the unbalanced pictures, didn't realize my camera setting dial got changed, didn't want to go back downstairs and shoot again. LOL

The cannon "heatsink" mounting tabs were cut off the cannon main bodies and the heatsinks were glued on rotated 90 degrees to jive with the original art. Getting the engine into the wings after the inner filler pieces were glued in was tight, but they eventually were glued in as well.

IMG_0109.JPG

IMG_0110.JPG

IMG_0111.JPG

IMG_0112.JPG

May the Fourth be with you.

Instead of watching the marathons of SW on today, went down to the workshop and finished this one off. No weathering or even panel lines, just a clean build as in the Ralph McQuarrie art. As noted above the cannons are rotated to horizontal.

IMG_0116.JPG
IMG_0121.JPG
IMG_0128.JPG
IMG_0129.JPG
IMG_0135.JPG

Thanks SB. I think the cannon shields look better this way. They may be more effective as flash hiders for the pilot than the other way.

I have one more T-65 in the stash and instead of doing my own scheme I'm going to attempt Red 12.

Pictures later today, hopefully, began working on another Bandai 1:72 as Red 12. Interior, Puck Naeco, and his astromech done. Cannon and engines glued and seams cleaned. Wings assembled. Should have the rest of the parts cleaned and the sub assemblies ready for primer tomorrow.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back