1:24 X-Wing Red 3 **WIP**

Love it!!!!!!!

That looks fantastic.

Looks brilliant

J
Thanks guys!

Great way to mask fast...and no bleeding is a +. Looking very good:cool::cool:(y)(y)
Vinyl masks are definitely a time saver and they turned out perfect!

That was always the most tedious job when painting the X-Wings.
Yes, the vinyl masks are the way to go. So easy to make and save boatloads of time. I think on the Bandai 1:72 models, the gaps between the stripes on the wings work out to something like 1mm? Just tedious and takes lots of time! Definitely a great workaround.

I have masked off all of the areas on the model that will get the green color. There seems to be two shades of the green on this X-Wing: a lighter green, and a darker, more yellow green (on the bottom of the fuselage as well as the nose cone). Hopefully I will get to spraying the green later this evening. I'll update with photos when that happens.

It's starting to look like an X-Wing! :D

SB

Alrighty! Little paint update for today. Got all of the green masked off and chipped using Winsor & Newton masking fluid (chipping hadn't been applied yet in these photos):

IMG_3329.jpg

IMG_3330.jpg

Then looked at a lot of reference and a few other builds and mixed up a pale green color. It was quite difficult to try and match the hue and the tone of the green, but eventually I landed on something that I was happy with, although probably not exactly 100% correct to the studio scale model. I applied the liquid masking while looking at reference, but then ended up freestyling it a bit. I guess I just need to be a little more patient, eh? :lol:

IMG_3342.jpg

IMG_3343.jpg

IMG_3339.jpg

IMG_3340.jpg

I mixed up a darker, more yellow green for the panel on the belly of the fuselage, and then I misted that darker color onto the nose cone as well. Turned out kinda dark, and will get a little darker with the weathering that will come, but hopefully will lighten up a bit with the misting of the base color at the end.

As for next steps....? I have painted the pilot orange, but am utter garbage at painting small details, so I am putting off working on him for as long as I can... Same kind of goes for the cockpit, so I think I'll just keep plugging away at various panel colors that are all over the body. There are some tan/orange ones around the fuselage, as well as some lighter blue ones for the canopy and on the engine cans, some gray ones mixed in here and there... This X-Wing is just a smorgasbord of colors!

Stay tuned for more!

SB

The clown car phase continues! :lol: Lots of masking and masking and masking and masking and.......

I painted the blue last night, and that includes some barber poles on the cannons. We're so used to seeing Red 5's arrangement, but Red 3 is the opposite:

Frontright.jpg

So I masked them off with Tamiya tape and went to town with the airbrush:

IMG_3344.jpg

IMG_3348.jpg

I'm not too thrilled with the saturation of the blue. It was waaaay too blue, and then I mixed in some gray, and then misted white over it, and it still looks too bright. Hopefully it'll get toned down with a bit of weathering.

This morning I spent masking for the all the yellow, and got that sprayed today. There are two different hues of yellow, and I don't think that I captured that very well. Let's just say it has been a learning experience all around! :lol:

IMG_3345.jpg

IMG_3346.jpg

IMG_3347.jpg

Like I said, lots and lots of masking for all this, even though it doesn't look like a lot. I'm a little worried about how bright and saturated the colors are looking at this point, but I just need to keep telling myself that it'll all get faded back with forthcoming mist coats and more weathering to tie it all together.

That's all for now, thanks for looking!

SB

Okie dokie, little update for this morning. I really wasn't happy with how bright the blue was that I had painted last week. I was looking at reference photos and a few other builds, and I decided that it needed to be more gray-blue than blue-blue :lol:

So with my mind made up, I masked off all of the blue again, and painted it back to the off-white color of the base coat, and then mixed up a gray with a hit of blue (maybe not enough blue? haha), and I'm much much happier with these results:

IMG_3367.jpg

IMG_3368.jpg

You can still see a hint of blue on the engine can in the yellow chipped area, but I think that'll be okay. I think the next step is to do the brown-ish bands around the engines, and then I think I'm going to practice weathering on the droid strip as well as the back plate. Maybe.

It's all subject to change ;)

SB

It works.

In real life, if yellow was painted over blue, and yellow was scratched, you might see blue underneath.

It's yours, have fun!

Anxiously awaiting more!!
Haha me too! :lol:

Honestly, I have been stuck until I can figure out these darn AX paints. I have all of the panel colors down. Now it's the weathering that has me a bit stumped. I don't want to just hose down the model with dark colors and call it a day. But there's so much surface area on these larger models, that I feel like I need to do something to every square centimeter or it won't look right.

So anyway. Kind of stuck at the moment.

SB

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back