Banned Member Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkknight0667

Sr Member
In the Banned Member thread, it was announced that RShanko was banned for Trolling, but did a search for posts by him that evidenced anything "Ban Worthy" and I didn't see a thing that came even close. Can the staff please illuminate his final infraction? I'm just not seeing it.

Thank you.

And also where can I view my "infraction points". A man should know how he is scoring in RPF: The MMORPG.

Wow. I'm really disappointed by this as Ron's Serenity project was really going good and I didn't notice any "trolling" on his part. :(

Wow. I'm really disappointed by this as Ron's Serenity project was really going good and I didn't notice any "trolling" on his part. :(
From what I have seen, the mods may have felt he was pushing vaporware. I did notice some upset posts, initially. Ortiz's banning, I can understand. He just wanted to troll every chance he got, and those trolling posts are STILL viewable. RShanko doesn't have any of those posts clearly as visible as Ortiz.

Tread, "generally removed" leaves a lot of vague openings.

I saw the initial thread when he had no photos of his porgress and there were some harsh word but his afterburner thread showed quite a bit of progress.

Sorry to hear that we will not get to see the masters being developed

From what I have seen, the mods may have felt he was pushing vaporware. I did notice some upset posts, initially. Ortiz's banning, I can understand. He just wanted to troll every chance he got, and those trolling posts are STILL viewable. RShanko doesn't have any of those posts clearly as visible as Ortiz.

Tread, "generally removed" leaves a lot of vague openings.

If issued an infraction, the board sends a PM to the member and a copy is sent to the staff automatically. If you have an infraction, you know you have it.

For more information, please review the CoC.

As for Ron's choice to not abide by the CoC, we have taken the last trolling post off the board as it disrupted a well established thread in the general modeling forum. His choice to not follow the CoC was not related to his abilities as a hobbyist, but his inability to adhere to the CoC was as stated in the announcement.

-Bryan

Bryan, wouldn't it make life easier for you folks to leave the offending post(s) in place as evidence? Anyone can search for posts by Ortiz34 and see a vast list of posts proving what led to his banning, so nobody is going to question his ouster. By deleting RShanko's post, especially after the way his temporary "Time Out" was received, it practically invited questioning of the decision.

It all goes back to the subject of transparency that folks have been calling for for years. Keep things out in the open and you'll have less grief than if you try to sweep them away.

Well, one reason we remove stuff is that it craps up people's threads--sometimes the thread author even requests it. I suppose we could create some "wall of shame" thread where such posts could be publicly viewable, but public castigation tends to just create more drama, resulting in more crapped up threads!

I realize it's natural to be curious about why someone is (seemingly) suddenly gone, but it really isn't anyone's business but the member in question.

As for a member viewing their infraction points, the system makes them visible only to mods, but if anyone's lost track, just PM one of us and we'll be happy to check for you.

Well, one reason we remove stuff is that it craps up people's threads--sometimes the thread author even requests it. I suppose we could create some "wall of shame" thread where such posts could be publicly viewable, but public castigation tends to just create more drama, resulting in more crapped up threads!

I realize it's natural to be curious about why someone is (seemingly) suddenly gone, but it really isn't anyone's business but the member in question.

As for a member viewing their infraction points, the system makes them visible only to mods, but if anyone's lost track, just PM one of us and we'll be happy to check for you.
So member infraction points happen entirely behind the scenes and the member has no way of knowing? If so, that is very kangaroo court.

Aah, the "Move Along People, There's Nothing To See Here" defense.

Nice.

:rolleyes

Annyway, it's more than just idle curiosity, Jay. What's to stop you guys from disappearing someone that you don't like/don't agree with/is just a general pain in your neck but hasn't actually broken any rules (like me, for example), claiming that they had infraction points (which nobody but you could see, so who's to say that they really exist) and that it's none of anybody else's business so they should all move along? Your current system opens the door and invites abuse like this (maybe not by anyone on the staff now, but possibly by someone, or some group of someones down the road), or at least leaves you open to charges of it.

I'm not saying that any of this happened in RShanko's case. He did nost of his posting in the Modeling sections, where I don't usually go (I have neither the skills nor money to get into that area of the hobby), so I don't know what he may or may not have posted. But I hope that you will see that the system, as it stands now, could be operated in a way that eliminates the potential for abuse or charges thereof.

That sounds pretty silly and rather like you guys are trying to obscure this "feature" than keep people aware.

I saw the posts in question, and Shanko got exactly what he had coming to him. Guy was trolling, plain and simple. Props to the mods for doing the right thing.

Your points are viewable on your control panel.

I do think think the RPF staff did give Rshanko more chances than others.
Regardless of what goes on behind the scenes, the public appearance says otherwise. And we in the public are not privy to anything else.

And his comments should be made public, it's not fair to those around him, or those who want to do business with him.

All should be treated equally, and clearly he wasn't.

I just did some digging around, and I was wrong: you CAN see your own infraction status. Just look at your own profile. Go to your control panel, and use the dropdown toward the right called "quick links". Select "view profile".

You'll then see your profile as it appears to everyone else, EXCEPT that it will also indicate at the top your infraction points, if any. If you have zero, there won't be anything referring to points at all. No one else can see your points, just you.

I had thought the system didn't allow that, so my bad. I had to give the RPF STAFF account, which is in the General Member usergroup (like you all), an infraction point, then log in as that account to see if it showed. So, good to know!

That info is not something we'd ever intentionally keep from members to have about themselves, and, as you can see, it was there all the time if they had just looked at their profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back