Biker Scout Fabrication Technique?

gonk27:
Welcome to the RPF by the way :thumbsup
Thanks, I was tired of being the voyeuristic lurker. :ninja
Also, thank you for clarifying the casting method.

steveo:

What is the medium you use for these?
I use a mixed-media of Charcoal, Pastels, Prismacolor pencils, Ink and some Airbrush here and there.
They're on 140lb.,archival, cold-press watercolor paper and they measure roughly between 12" x 24" to 18" x 24".

Jez:

I'm not looking to get into a debate over the merits of SDS's vac-forming but IMHO I think the helmet manufacture on ANH was far superior to ESB and RotJ.
Well, perhaps Lucas was short on cash and needed to cut some corners. :confused

But I guess as long as you don't see the Bondo Filler, seams and Duct Tape on screen it's all good...

jedimaster
:
nice artwork man.
Thank you, jedimaster, I appreciate that. :)

I'm not looking to get into a debate over the merits of SDS's vac-forming but IMHO I think the helmet manufacture on ANH was far superior to ESB and RotJ.
Though doing them in halves they managed to get consistent look and assembly, which SDS failed to do - just look at any helmet SDS did and tell me the workmanship is actually very good at all. Wonky all over the place. I wouldn't exactly call that superior.

Superior is relative and based on individualistic preference and perspective.
But I do agree, the helmets were more consistent....consistently wonky. :lol

Any more word on this piece - scout? Is it privately owned?

The minuscule amount that I know is that it was auctioned off awhile ago (source? date acquired? date auctioned?), to a private buyer (identity unknown).

Although there are (that I know of), a couple individuals who are currently in communication with the auctioneer, but if anything comes of that is a complete unknown at the moment.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help regarding this. :unsure

Pertaining to your vacuuform questions:

The helmet has many undercuts if molded from top to bottom. By doing the helmet in halves(sides to side) you can simply vac down over one side and the plastic will pull off the original mold much easier. The visor also has undercuts on the lip. Thus doing it in halves makes it much easier to pull off the mold. The face obviously being a removable peice from the main helmet just makes sense to pull it seperatly.

The real work then comes in glueing all together and making it seamless.

Richie

well back in April Jez kindly asked on bs.net for any reference photo's/behind the scenes photos and any info of the Biker Scouts in the ROTJ.

As there is not much behind the scenes photo's of the scouts out on the net I thought I'd have a go looking for some for Jez's upcoming vid and stumbled across the below helmet and instead of hording the pics I posted them up on bs.net :
gallery_26_20_20876.jpg

gallery_26_20_17138.jpg

after a bit of digging I managed to get hold of the person who once had the helmet in their collection, several days later I got a reply email letting me know that that scout helmet had been passed onto a new owner some years ago. But they still have a untouched Y wing helmet.

The previous owner told me that the helmet was a pre-production helmet that didn't make it to the final stages of completion to be used in the film.

But he had an original lens for a scout lid in his collection, I'll have to check my emails again to find the photo and I'll post it up once I've found it.

Probably one reason the helmet was made in several parts could be the makers of these helmet had a small vac former?

Now one thing has always bugged me about the photo below, the words inside the helmet - #41 Biker BH1030 - is this the 41st scout lid made by 501st member BH1030? or are the numbers 13H1030?

gallery_1_13_296079.jpg

It's a shame we don't have a replica prop company make these helmets to add to our collection i.e EFX

Yes eFX... you could save the day here.

Jez, won't the guy who let you borrow his scout be upset when he gets it back all chopped up with bits of dry rubber all around it? :angel :lol

Seriously cool pics (and no one is getting lynched for sharing!) SUPERB artwork and can't wait for another one of Jez's AWESOME bucket reviews! Seriously, if you haven't ever watched one... they are a real treat! :thumbsup

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back