Biker Scout Fabrication Technique?

n0x23

Hello.

I've been trying to wrap my head around the reasons behind the fabrication of the Scout helmet in two separate pieces.

Since I know little to nothing about sculpting and vacuforming, I was wondering if I would be able to start a discussion here regarding this topic?

What very little I do know is that undercuts are an issue that would facilitate the helmet being formed in two distinct pieces, but the visor being halved as well has me scratching my head.

Were the helmet and visor sculpted in two separate pieces, or would they have been sculpted in a single piece then cut in half, molded then vacuformed like that?

Does it have something to do with the distortion of the vacuforming process?

I think I grasp the reason for Nien Nunb's and the B-Wing, but I don't understand the Scout's visor.

Any answers, thoughts or opnions would be greatly appreciated. :)

P12002721.jpg

P12002681.jpg

P12002691.jpg

P1150997.jpg

P1160002.jpg

Great pics, where did they come from?
I found them on some random website while doing an image search for reference material for the Star Wars related drawings I do.

vvvv See below vvvv

I think i know your drawings. Have you done some pieces for Starwars Gamer? I did some artwork for that magazine a few years ago. I really like your work!

Too Much Garlic, thank you.

mike d, thank you very much.

No, I've never done any work professionally, it's just that most of the Star Wars related art work is all Lukes, Leias, Vaders and the occasional Stormtrooper, so I wanted to give some of the more "obscure" charchters (ie, the cool ones :cool), the spotlight.

I found them on some random website while doing an image search for reference material for the Star Wars related drawings I do.

Wow that's great stuff, very detailed. :thumbsup

As to your question I don't know for certain, but I would expect that to begin with the Biker helmet was sculpted in clay as one complete shape (maybe minus the visor). This could then have been moulded to produce a master pattern in plaster or fibreglass that could be sanded better for a good surface. The visor might then have been sculpted on that in clay to ensure a good fit before being moulded separately.

I'm guessing the head pattern was then then moulded in three sections; the face as one piece, and the rest in two halves. The casts from these moulds would need a little work to make tools that could be formed over and reassembled into the original shape.

The Biker's visor does have an inward curve when looking at it from the front which might have meant it was easier to make in two halves?

Anyway that's my guesswork..

Here are some pictures of a screen used Biker Scout helmet.

The picture below that you posted are reported to be from a collector who claims the helmet is an unused, unfinished helmet pull. The apparent multiple pieces to the visor and dome/back are consistent with what is known of the original screen used helmets assembly.

Thank you very much, gonk27.

As to your question I don't know for certain, but I would expect that to begin with the Biker helmet was sculpted in clay as one complete shape (maybe minus the visor). This could then have been moulded to produce a master pattern in plaster or fibreglass that could be sanded better for a good surface. The visor might then have been sculpted on that in clay to ensure a good fit before being moulded separately.
Is this how it's usually done?
Is it easier to get a better surface and finer, crisper detail by making a plaster and/or a fiberglass master pattern, as opposed to just sculpting it in clay, molding it and producing a buck/tool out of that?

I'm guessing the head pattern was then then moulded in three sections; the face as one piece, and the rest in two halves. The casts from these moulds would need a little work to make tools that could be formed over and reassembled into the original shape.
What type of work would be needed to be done?

The Biker's visor does have an inward curve when looking at it from the front which might have meant it was easier to make in two halves?
So do you think that the inward curve was sculpted that way, or as a result of anchoring the visor to the helmet?

Anyway that's my guesswork..
Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

Just to let everyone know I'm currently finishing off a new video review of an original screen-used Biker Scout helmet.

I've literally been working away on it today so will hopefully be posting it up in a few days time as soon as I've had sign off by its owner.

To answer/confirm the earlier point, the biker scout helmt was sculpted in grey clay, without the visor section which was vac formed separately.

Cheers

Jez

Just to let everyone know I'm currently finishing off a new video review of an original screen-used Biker Scout helmet.

I've literally been working away on it today so will hopefully be posting it up in a few days time as soon as I've had sign off by its owner.

To answer/confirm the earlier point, the biker scout helmt was sculpted in grey clay, without the visor section which was vac formed separately.

Cheers

Jez

Can't wait Jez. :thumbsup

Awesome! I've been patiently waiting for this one, Jez.

Would you happen to know if the face-plate & the helmet were sculpted as one piece?

Also, were the visor & helmet halved before molding, or after they were vacuformed?

I can understand the helmet being halved possibly due to the undercuts, but not the visor... :confused

Thank you very much, gonk27.

Is this how it's usually done?
Is it easier to get a better surface and finer, crisper detail by making a plaster and/or a fiberglass master pattern, as opposed to just sculpting it in clay, molding it and producing a buck/tool out of that?

What type of work would be needed to be done?

So do you think that the inward curve was sculpted that way, or as a result of anchoring the visor to the helmet?

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

You're welcome! Well, this is one method, but I'm really only guessing in the case of the Biker Scout helmet.

Yep, making a hard pattern (basically a copy of the clay sculpt) would make it easier to refine the surface by wet-sanding it. It would also be easier to make the various moulds from the pattern than from the clay, which you'd risk distorting unless you went to the time and bother of firing it in a kiln I guess.

The casts you'd end up with from moulds taken from the pattern would need their open areas blocked out (think of the helmet on it's side then picture the neck hole for instance) then ideally mounted on a flat board.

I'd think the curvature of the visor is part of the design personally. Welcome to the RPF by the way :thumbsup

Jez, I'm very much looking forward to that video review! :love

your art work is simply amazing. Such attention to detail and your style are inspiring. Keep up the great work!

Thank you, steveo, I really appreciate that! :D

Here's a couple more completed Star Wars related work of mine.

The first one is more of a practice sheet, I'm working on a looser, more instinctual style with all its bumps and warts, similar to the first color Scout drawing I posted.

The second one was drawn up for a t-shirt contest, which is currently in permanent limbo. :confused

Awesome! I've been patiently waiting for this one, Jez.

Would you happen to know if the face-plate & the helmet were sculpted as one piece?

Also, were the visor & helmet halved before molding, or after they were vacuformed?

I can understand the helmet being halved possibly due to the undercuts, but not the visor... :confused

No, I understand the face was sculpted separately from the Visor, back and cap sections. I agree with you that it does seem strange that they did the visor in halves since it is a very simple structure.

However, from what I can tell all the US made RortJ helmets (inc Biker, Y/A/B Wing, Red Imperial Guard, Mon Cal helmets) were split down the middle for vac-forming.

I'm not looking to get into a debate over the merits of SDS's vac-forming but IMHO I think the helmet manufacture on ANH was far superior to ESB and RotJ.

Cheers

Jez

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back