Blackbeard's Ghost (1968), portrait of Peter Ustinov as Blackbeard

Odin82

Sr Member
I've loved the film since a little kid, though it would have been late 80's when I saw the film for the first time. (Promo trailer kind of thing) & (TV Commercial) Later as I became more of a horror fan, realising that Elsa Lanchester (The Bride from "Bride of Frankenstein") was in it as one of the lovable "Daughters of the Buccaneers", made it so much more endearing! For years was trying to track down a good resolution of the painting to make a replica, and honestly gave up around 2017/18.

Screenshot 2022-10-11 at 20.34.20.jpg

With the painting being like 7ft in size, finding something to make a replica with was pretty tough... until....

In late 2020, there was a Disney exhibition, and a replica (one of two) of the painting was put on display.

Blackbeard exhibition 1.jpg

Having given up on the search many years ago, I stumbled across the exhibition that went on in recent years. After some googling, found some photos that people had taken close ups of it, though at angles, and reflections from whatever protection screen that was over the replica, but was nothing that one could work with.

After some more googling, I discovered the original came up for auction in December 2019.....

Screenused .jpg

Screenshot 2022-10-11 at 20.55.56.jpg

And woah, there was a realllllllly great photo of the original on the auction...

Blackbeard Heritage Auctions.jpg

I managed to upscale the image, but unfortunately the file is too big for uploading on the forum. It's pretty easy to do on any photoshop etc (but if anyone needs a link, DM me).

Two weeks ago I received a 7ft print of this on canvas, and it came out absolutely amazing. I had given up on ever having a replica of the painting, nevermind ordering it from a site on canvas for just a little over $50! I haven't even tried to take a photo of it yet as it's just too large. (Though if anyone wants a pic to see the final resuilt, I can make it top priority to take one over the weekend to add to the thread) Next up is making a replica frame for it, which I hope to do over the winter.

Last edited:
love to see a pic
Perfect! I didn't think anyone would be interested in it, so when it arrived and I checked it out, I never took a pic!, that and being so excited receiving it! Will take one as soon as I can.

Edit: On a side note, I read one of the replica paintings was used in the Disney Haunted Mansion attractions (outside of the Pirates of the Caribbean). So might be of interest to those fans on here - confirm/deny. Apparently Walt Disney had the "Blackbeard's Ghost" book in his office on display.

Last edited:
Unfortunately due to a weekend of constant rain, wasn't able to get a photo of it in natural light outdoors.

I took a quick photo of it just now, but excuse the quality, iPhone 6 camera! Will try and snap a better pic with the DSLR next time the sun shows itself!

Attachments

• IMG_7546.JPG
    IMG_7546.JPG
    1,021.9 KB · Views: 30
Does anyone see Brian Blessed in the face of the painting? I know it is Peter Ustinov and I remember watching this movie but the painting could be of Brian Blessed

a340972d7e66147e727e39ec794e1b9f.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back