Blade Runner Blaster news: model kit version of the Tomenosuke Blaster is coming

Hi all, quick question to those that did the steel barrel upgrade if I may, does the barrel need to be fixed within the frame, or will the rest of the kit when screwed together hold it securely enough ????

Many thanks.

I am pretty sure it is fixed to the frame so you'll have to cut off the old barrel and secure the new one most likely eith some epoxy then sand it down to smooth it out... but i haven't upgraded a Tomenosuke yet myself

If you're referring to the steel barrels that I made they do not have to be glued in place, in fact I don't recommend it. The screws that secure the receiver to the barrel hold it very securely.

I am pretty sure it is fixed to the frame so you'll have to cut off the old barrel and secure the new one most likely eith some epoxy then sand it down to smooth it out... but i haven't upgraded a Tomenosuke yet myself

Thanks for that, the kit I've just bought has already had the original barrel cut off (came supplied with the steel barrel) I've just slotted the barrel into the frame (dry, no epoxy) screwed the Steyr receiver to it for a test fit and it seems quite solid as is, haven't really started on it just yet as I've been getting the stuff together for the bluing before starting.

Thanks again.

- - - Updated - - -

If you're referring to the steel barrels that I made they do not have to be glued in place, in fact I don't recommend it. The screws that secure the receiver to the barrel hold it very securely.

Thank you :thumbsup

Good to know from Dave...I kind of forgot that the Steyr screws should hold the barrel in place...I've been on a break from building blasters so I can get back to guitars for a bit...can't wait for my kit!!!

At long last! I have finished the initial build of my Tomenosuke Pro Blaster. I say initial because I do plan to weather it eventually, but for now I want to enjoy it in all its nearly pristine glory. The flash pictures I took really show all the gory details. In normal light the bluing on all the parts looks much more even. It took me a while to work out the technique, but I think it came out really well.

Many thanks to DaveG for his awesome barrel and display stand. And thanks as well to all the members of this forum who provided so much help.

View attachment 244127View attachment 244128View attachment 244129View attachment 244130View attachment 244126

Sir, you did an amazing job. I love the shade of your bluing. After three attempts, I finally got the the bluing perfect, then I broke it. It's the first time I cried since my son was born. And, as it turns out, Zinc is the only metal that cannot be welded or soldered.

There is a way to weld zinc but it is not easy you just have to find a guy that is skilled and willing to do it. CA glue also works wonders too.

Sir, you did an amazing job. I love the shade of your bluing. After three attempts, I finally got the the bluing perfect, then I broke it. It's the first time I cried since my son was born. And, as it turns out, Zinc is the only metal that cannot be welded or soldered.

Thanks for the kind words and I'm sorry about your blaster. That's tragic! Which part broke? Hopefully Hirohawa's tip will lead to a solution and you'll be able to save your gun.

Thanks for the kind words and I'm sorry about your blaster. That's tragic! Which part broke? Hopefully Hirohawa's tip will lead to a solution and you'll be able to save your gun.

Thanks man, I appreciate that. It broke at the thin part under the bolt lever. I squeezed it, gently, damn thing came off in my hand. Imagine "the scream" by Edvard munch, that's what I looked like. Bear in mind, it wasn't just the huge price I had to pay to win this on ebay, and the high postage, and the import duty, but just taking the risk of getting this into a fanatically anti-gun country. I felt so lucky to own it. I put the kit for up for sale on Ebay, describing the damage clearly, and to my great surprise, got my money back!. I used that money to buy the Takagi straight from Japan. Again I run the gauntlet with customs. Just waiting for the letter telling me that it's been confiscated (stolen, and placed on some customs guy's mantlepiece). I can't sleep.

^ Gongrats on at least getting your money back, but I can only imagine the heartbreak! Especially after finally getting the bluing right. Good luck with Customs for the next one. Mune did say there would be another run of the final kit, if you still want to get that one specifically.

You can actually solder zinc-based ZAMAC alloys. It's not easy and you have to get the zinc very close to its melting point, and use a good quality flux. I've been doing it on a DeAgostini locomotive kit; it's hit-or-miss, so I wouldn't really recommend trying on a 'fine' part, and the part's out of your hands now anyway, but for the record...

there is a low melt soldier that works great.

I need to look it up again but I will post later. don't cry... all will be ok

Yeah, forgot to mention I'm using a torch. If anyone is still soldering with an iron, give it up already! Little butane torches are THE BOMB!

Good on you guys for discussing an iconic gun. I love it, but will be scratchbuilding my own from MDF and plastic.

A little late to the party but better late than never :) just finished my pro so thought I would post a few pics.

John

DSCF9072.jpg

DSCF9076_zpsddaa8e9a.jpg

DSCF9077_zps26b8b252.jpg

DSCF9081_zpsae25af3d.jpg

DSCF9083_zps2a3a77c1.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back