Can I use molding latex to make a mask?

Antonis13

Hello all!

I started getting interest in latex mask making. I have seen lots of videos, especially distortions unlimited videos, (they are probably the best).

So now Im in the middle of a mask sculpture, I've sculpted before too but this time seems like the result will be A LOT better than anything I have sculpted.

But there is a problem. I live in Greece, and getting the monster makers rd-407 (correct me if I'm wrong), is next to impossible, I can't find it anywhere, and the other pouring latex's is way too expensive.
And so, in Greece I have found only 2 stores that have latex but it is for mold making.

So I'm wondering, can I use molding latex to make masks? (With the method of, pouring latex, rotate the mold, remove excess latex, wait for it to dry, and the some more times again.)

Thank you!

can I use molding latex to make masks?
Yes,as long as it´s good quality. It´s the one I use for everything. As far as I know there is molding latex and balloon latex (its thinner). There might be other kinds but these are the most known ones. I don´t know if monster makers´ has something special. You should be all right with molding latex, as I said, if it´s good quality.
My favorite way is filling the mold to the top and let the latex dwell the time needed to get the desired thickness and then pour out the rest. Easier and more effective.
But I understand this means you will need to have more latex. So you can do it by rotating layers or similar. You will have to get a good thickness, so many layers I guess.

Yes,as long as it´s good quality. It´s the one I use for everything. As far as I know there is molding latex and balloon latex (its thinner). There might be other kinds but these are the most known ones. I don´t know if monster makers´ has something special. You should be all right with molding latex, as I said, if it´s good quality.
My favorite way is filling the mold to the top and let the latex dwell the time needed to get the desired thickness and then pour out the rest. Easier and more effective.
But I understand this means you will need to have more latex. So you can do it by rotating layers or similar. You will have to get a good thickness, so many layers I guess.
Thank you very much for your response!

There may be a difference in the fillers used, as mask latex and mold latex both contain fillers in addition to the natural latex, but beyond that and likely a viscosity difference, it should be fine.

In other words, if the mold latex is too thick, thin it with a splash of distilled water and you’re good to go.

There may be a difference in the fillers used, as mask latex and mold latex both contain fillers in addition to the natural latex, but beyond that and likely a viscosity difference, it should be fine.

In other words, if the mold latex is too thick, thin it with a splash of distilled water and you’re good to go.
I definitely don't believe that it will be the same as the professional masks, but at least to be strong and not tear up when I use it

Also, because I haven't worked with latex before, I don't know how how thick or how light should it be. But, the site that sells this latex in the descriptions shows a thickener, as another product to combine with it. So I guess it will not need to be thickened more.

Thank you!

Also, because I haven't worked with latex before, I don't know how how thick or how light should it be. But, the site that sells this latex in the descriptions shows a thickener, as another product to combine with it. So I guess it will not need to be thickened more.
Not sure if you're talking about the mask or about latex itself. If it's about the product you need a viscosity that allows the liquid latex to capture all the detail and that you can rotate or brush easily. If it's too thick (higher viscosity) it will be harder for it to "touch" or run over every part of the mold and it will be harder to brush it in etc. If it´s too liquid (lower viscosity) you´ll need more layers or more time in the dwelling to achieve the final thickness you are after.
But as I said before, mold latex is commonly used for everything, not only for molding. Actually not many use it for molding anymore since silicones took over for flexible molds.
Anyway, as Mr Mold Maker said, you can always thin it down.
The thickener product is something you won´t need for a mask in first instance. Take in account you would loose stretchiness using it. Just in case. Useful for patching and other tasks though.
What´s important is that the quality is good in any case.

Not sure if you're talking about the mask or about latex itself. If it's about the product you need a viscosity that allows the liquid latex to capture all the detail and that you can rotate or brush easily. If it's too thick (higher viscosity) it will be harder for it to "touch" or run over every part of the mold and it will be harder to brush it in etc. If it´s too liquid (lower viscosity) you´ll need more layers or more time in the dwelling to achieve the final thickness you are after.
But as I said before, mold latex is commonly used for everything, not only for molding. Actually not many use it for molding anymore since silicones took over for flexible molds.
Anyway, as Mr Mold Maker said, you can always thin it down.
The thickener product is something you won´t need for a mask in first instance. Take in account you would loose stretchiness using it. Just in case. Useful for patching and other tasks though.
What´s important is that the quality is good in any case.
Hello!
Sorry for the late response, but i was working with my project, and I finished it, (except painting).

So, the latex I got was from Creartec, more specific, this. The consistency was milky like.
I bought the 800ml package (30 euros). And I experienced first hand how expensive those materials are. (latex, silicone, resin etc.)
I would like to know how thick the mask should it be. The mask that i casted with the latex came pretty good for a first time, but i feel like i should have added more layers to make it more thick. But in the other hand, i didn't use all the latex on purpose, to save for another project.

No tears by now on the mask. Only one small to medium size when i de moulded it, but i sticked it and glued it and it is okay.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back