Captain America movie version help?

Yarko

Hello,

I'm seriously considering giving a try at Captain America's costume from the new movie. However, I'm having a hard time figuring out a good fabric for it. I've found some nice looking thick and coarse fabrics which might work for a military costume, BUT they are not elastic. That shouldn't be a problem... except for the shoulder and belly pads. So far as I know, the fabric needs to be elastic so you can place a bit of foam underneath and sew it in order to get the pads shape. But all the elastic fabrics I've found so far are all shiny and gay looking spandex, which would look horrible with this particular design.

What fabric would you choose? Is there any other way to make the pads without using spandex for the costume? Is there a thick and texturized spandex anywhere I have not yet seen?

Thanks

Chris-Evans-Captain-America-Movie-Costume.jpg

capambig1.jpg

Hi!

Definitely the canvas texture looks cool, but it still has the problem of the pads. I've not been able to find an elastic fabric with a canvas texture so far.

I've seen on several threads that sometimes people print superhero patterns and textures on spandex (I've seen it done with Spiderman and Black widow, I think). How does that stuff work? Because maybe that's what I should do.

Last edited:
Its herringbone. For the pads cut out foamie shapes and sew them under the herringbone with another fabric beneath.

Paul D.

logan claw is correct the blue is a herringbone pattern. im have been in the planning stages myself on this one. I have been considering using shhets of plastic to help give the pads a firm look that will hold up. then nylon straps and white canvas for the other parts. i will probally get the leather work custom made by my father in law. if you have any good references of the back please post those as well.

The grey on the sleeves(not the strapping but the lower sleeve) is also herringbone but the white isn't. The white is a fairly ribbed twill(?) that's very directional in the way it's sewn together.

Doesn't really look that stretchy to me either. I think it's just tucked and sewn on to another piece of fabric. Could easily be wrong but the edges look like they're separate from the fabric underneath.

These are both pretty high quality pics that can be enlarged a good bit for detail.

fb-07373copy.jpg

cap.jpg

This is the only backshot I've found, and if nothing better appears, I guess I'll use that

c3-570x1015.jpg

I have only found dark grey herringbone in my local shops, I'll have to keep searching, because it definitely looks like herringbone! And judging by those photos, I suppose it doesn't need to be stretchable at all in order to shape the pads.

I wonder if herrinbone can be dyed

Last edited:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back