Captain Hook's ransom note dagger from Hook

Hookmovie

Hello, I'm currently working on a replica of the ransom note dagger from Hook.

ref.png
ref2.png

I designed everything in Blender for 3D print.
It's not finish yet. I have a lot of details to adjust, proportion, the size of the blade, the grip,...
Not sure yet if I'll take real material to make the blade and the grip or if I'll print it.
I have no idea how I'll make it look golden chrome.

Here is the model

ransomdagger2.jpg

3D print test of the pommel.

03.jpg

Looks pretty good but you need to make a small tweak to the blade. If you look closely, you'll notice that the blade doesn't have a straight taper, it has a noticeably wider base that angles in sharply before tapering. I also think that the area by where the finger rings are is too tall, it looks a bit shorter on the real prop to me.

Thank you!
Yes, I'm working on it. The dagger have a specific kind of blade called colichemarde.
In fact, all the parts of the guard are little thin. I need to make it thicker.
The hardest part is done with the pommel sculpt.

I'll work to be the closest to the real prop.

I even plan to try to put the hidden latin message engraved in the guard.
Ransommessage.jpg

I wonder if the dagger was supposed to have started out life as a colichmarde small sword that had its blade broken and then had the (broken) tip reshaped and then repurposed as a dagger. If you didn't see the dagger stuck on the wall you would swear that it was a small sword and not a dagger.

I don't have more details about the blade, I just get the colichemarde information from Tony Swatton who made the original prop.
I would like to make it in metal but I have no idea where I could do it. For the moment I'll try to get a nice sculpt and good prototype.

I worked on the colichemarde blade and the knucles of the guard. I added the engraved latin message in the shell. Here is the result.

daggerupdate.jpg

And the engraved latin message "NULLI SUNT LIBERI QUI ME AMENT". It means "There are no children who love me". The production notes say all caps. I'm not sure for the font to use. I'll adjust if I can found better references for that.

daggermessage.jpg

Once you get to the grip be sure to make it slightly flattened and not round. Also, I'd also double check on the measurements for the space in the finger rings, you want to make sure that you can actually stick your finger in them.

I'm not sure for the font to use. I'll adjust if I can found better references for that.

I'd be surprised if it was a Sans Serif font. Looking at the screengrab you've got of the engraving: the letters on the lower curve, like the 'A' and particularly the 'E' appear to have serifs.

Looking great so far.

I did another version with serifs (time new roman font) but I noticed that the Tony Swatton version is different than the screen used. It seems hand engraved letters. I will try to make this variation too.

Daggervariation.jpg

For the moment, I only use my 3d printer with PLA. I never used resin and to speak true, it's one of my first prop replica I do. For the moment, the only replica I printed is my version of the Captain Hook's hook.

53921536_10218333766434970_8497597850312507392_o.jpg

I worked on it since very long time with a set of hook varations. Main hook, poster variation, damaged hook, lesson scene version, magnifying glass version from the teaser.

hookvariations.jpg

I know that PLA is not the best material to work. I felt it with my hook print.
But for the moment, it's the only material I tried.

I did another version with serifs (time new roman font) but I noticed that the Tony Swatton version is different than the screen used. It seems hand engraved letters. I will try to make this variation too.

View attachment 1006840

For the moment, I only use my 3d printer with PLA. I never used resin and to speak true, it's one of my first prop replica I do. For the moment, the only replica I printed is my version of the Captain Hook's hook.

View attachment 1006844

I worked on it since very long time with a set of hook varations. Main hook, poster variation, damaged hook, lesson scene version, magnifying glass version from the teaser.

View attachment 1006853

I know that PLA is not the best material to work. I felt it with my hook print.
But for the moment, it's the only material I tried.
I was wondering just how strong that PLA Print is of yours? I was thinking of doing mine the same way as the actual prop but was concerned that way of attaching it maybe too weak and could break off easily.

I tried to print the attach system but yes it's too weak and it break easily in PLA.
So I go on a metal system to add to my printed elements. I didn't get time to make all the tests I wanted yet.

I printed a test of the dagger, will post some pictures soon.

I tried to print the attach system but yes it's too weak and it break easily in PLA.
So I go on a metal system to add to my printed elements. I didn't get time to make all the tests I wanted yet.

I printed a test of the dagger, will post some pictures soon.
Im curious as to what you mean by metal system?

I try to build the attach system myself with metal tubes to add to my print. If I print the attach system in pla, it will break.
I slowly started but I don't find time to continue for the moment.

I printed a test of the dagger.

There are some print bugs but it look nice.
For fun, I printed it with colors to have a idea of the result.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back