cardboard folios

Anybody trying the toner foil method to represent foil embossing ?

I've just got some of this stuff and the results are interesting if a little hit & miss. I should have some finished work to show in a day or two.

this is really neat. how did you print those covers? I was also just reading about the hot foil transfer process. I would love to see your results.

This sounds interesting Kenny, really interested to see how this process works out. Never heard of it before.:thumbsup

Anybody trying the toner foil method to represent foil embossing ?

I've just got some of this stuff and the results are interesting if a little hit & miss. I should have some finished work to show in a day or two.

Here's a test folio. I've tried to angle them to get the metallic sheen to show.

The only thing I don't like about this technique is I can't use heavy textured paper, other than that I think it works quite well.

Sure, here you go :)

Equipment needed.

Laser printer.
The foil won't work with inkjets. I just use a little cheap Samsung one. Black is fine, no need to get a multicolour printer.

Laminator.
Again a cheap one is fine.

Toner foil.
Ebay is good for this, and you can buy larger quantities and rolls from some sites. About £5 for 12 A4 sheets of gold (other colours available).

Coloured paper or card.
This is the biggest BUT with the process. As I say embossed card is awkward, very hit & miss.
Also I've found that even different colours of the same brand of paper can have different results, something to do with the pigments I suppose.
Basicly if it will run through your laser printer, and can take a print, it will work with this process, so a bit of experimenting is a must. If you find anything that works well please share :)

Boot polish, leather colouring.
This is optional but I think it makes the finished result look better, more shiny & leathery. It also seals and protects the paper a little.

The foiling is done while the paper is in the flat. Make up the artwork with black for the areas to be foiled, for example,
jgnk3l.jpg

(Not full size obviously)

Then print using your chosen paper or card. Check the print quality is nice and sharp. Place the foil on top of the printed areas (dull side against the work), a sheet of plain white paper on top of that, and stick it through the laminator (I put it through a couple of times to be sure).
Peel the foil away and you should have a nice foiled result, then make up the folio as usual.

An interesting feature is if you want to add foil to something but want to leave some areas clear, you can print the artwork first with an inkjet, then print the stuff you want foiled with the laser. The foil will only stick to the laser print and leave the inkjet work untouched.

One word of warning, i've seen some sites stating that the foil will only stick to black toner, this is untrue, I've found it will stick to other toner colours as well.

Any questions, let me know. The same process has been used for years to print birthday cards and the like, just not that well known.

I'm really bugged I can't use heavy textures, but there's no reason the paper can't be textured after the foiling process, so I'm looking into that, any suggestions as to how to go about this would be great.

Last edited:
Yes, i've tried to copy the embossed seal a couple of times using a polymer copy to impress into the paper, but it didn't work very well.

The way to emboss the item is to obtain a challenge coin with the appropriate seal from eBay, and then using a boning tool, put the coin BELOW the paper, and bone the details in...

Yes, it's a necropost. There just isn't much I can contribute to any of these things...

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back