Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread

It was an eBay find! It runs really big too. I’m usually a L - XL and this is a medium and fits me perfectly, even with layers on underneath. It’s not 100% screen accurate (the collar is a little different) but it’s the closest I’ve found to his so far.

Do any of the tags have an item number or a manufacturing year? I haven't lucked out yet on finding a match.

The flag patches are in!

Here's an ordinary patch at top, with the Hawkins-specific patch below, for comparison:

105gOiQ.jpg

They're pretty close to the show patch

k4VfOYe.jpg

And I have upgraded my status here to Premium Member so that I can sell them on this site.

According to RPF policy, as I understand it, on this thread I can only refer you to my listing in the "Project Runs" forum, which I'm posting. Thanks!

Last edited:
Here's the latest iteration of my Hopper cosplay, with the correct flag patch, the correct wristband, watch, and pen.

Thanks to all who have tracked down those hard to find items!

qZx7XZt.jpg

EDIT: The COVID quarantine has given me some time to get more things together, here's an updated January 2021 iteration of my costume. Chopped a Rick Grimes revolver to make a Hopper S2 revolver, made a S2 belt, reshaped the hat, got the knife, weathered/darkened the boots, and so forth.

JrOXEXK.jpg

Attachments

• qJRQ0w7.jpg
    qJRQ0w7.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 1,262
Last edited:
I haven't seen mention above of the glasses, but people are using these, are these correct?

Do they change from season to season? Thanks!

7EY7SSR.jpg

ZTFpw5X.jpg

What I see varying most, in vintage Ray Bans, is the exact colour of that bar.

Somewhere between ivory and orange?

Last edited:
I’m behind. Got my flag patches in the other day. I couldn't be happier with how they turned out. Thanks so much to Dr Jones Sr for taking them on.

For the non-believers... proof!

1822AC2C-C542-4247-B7CD-DE0112F77067.jpeg

#nailedit

Wow thanks! I didn't know they were so close to the original proportions. The credit for the proportions goes to my friend Davey who worked up a digital version of the flag patch based on the screen-shots I sent him. He's a professional graphic artist and is very good at what he does.

And the credit for determining the correct size goes to Pinder. (I was going to make them too big.)

And credit to Travis for pointing out that the flag patches in the show don't have a Merrow border. (I was going to do that wrong too.)

Now about the sunglasses, Hopper's have the rounded coil-spring ear pieces, correct? Are they plain metal or do they have a plastic or rubber covering? I can't seem to find a screen shot that shows his sunglasses when he's not wearing them.

Not about to pony up over $100 for Ray Bans, I found cheap knockoffs that look identical to the screen shot I posted above of Hopper wearing the sunglasses. I went with the 58mm size which look well-proportioned to my face.

Last edited:
Wow thanks! I didn't know they were so close to the original proportions. The credit for the proportions goes to my friend Davey who worked up a digital version of the flag patch based on the screen-shots I sent him. He's a professional graphic artist and is very good at what he does.

And the credit for determining the correct size goes to Pinder. (I was going to make them too big.)

Now about the sunglasses, Hopper's have the rounded coil-spring ear pieces, correct? Are they plain metal or do they have a plastic or rubber covering? I can't seem to find a screen shot that shows his sunglasses when he's not wearing them.

Not about to pony up over $100 for Ray Bans, I found cheap knockoffs that look identical to the screen shot I posted above of Hopper wearing the sunglasses. I went with the 58mm size which look well-proportioned to my face.

You got a link for the knockoffs?

You got a link for the knockoffs?

These are the super-cheap ones on Ebay- select the "gold green" ones

Vintage Metal Aviator Sunglasses Cable Temple Brow Bar Outdoorsman Eyewear | eBay

Here's the photo from the Ebay listing

CUCa5CV.jpg

$8 knockoffs above, $100 Ray Bans below

7EY7SSR.jpg

And the holster I bought on Ebay finally arrived! (Took over a month.)

It's stamped on the back

TEX SHOEMAKER & SONS 35-A L-F

The seller listed it as a lefthanded holster due to misunderstanding the L-F which refers to the L-Frame revolvers.

The colour of the holster is much more ginger than appears in this photo.

dQgRfIZ.jpg

A screenshot of the show holster

u3jc5iL.jpg

You can see various differences.

Last edited:
One thing that hasn't been talked about here (unless I missed it) are the Mood Boards put together by S1 E1-4 costume designer Kimberly Adams.

Pertaining to this thread are three boards

-the Police Chief uniform
-the Police Chief's offduty clothes
-the Police Department uniform

Here's the Mood Board for the Police Department

nlKlatx.jpg

There are a number of interesting things including

-the dichotomy between the blue uniforms of the officers and the tan uniform of the Chief
-the Chief lacking a hat (David Harbour had to fight for the character to wear a hat)
-the Hawkins Police patch had already been finalised
-the blue of the Hawkins Police patch is extremely dark
-the US flag patch is an ordinary US flag, not the modified design eventually used in the show

Here's the Hopper as Chief Mood Board. Notice the patches shaped like the Hawkins Police patches

mPZmM27.jpg

Hopper's off-duty clothes. Notice the beige button undershirt which became part of Hopper's uniform. Why the shirtless pics? Was Hopper originally going to lounge around the house shirtless all the time??

IhRCjgo.jpg

Last edited:
One thing that hasn't been talked about here (unless I missed it) are the Mood Boards put together by S1 E1-4 costume designer Kimberly Adams.

Pertaining to this thread are three boards

-the Police Chief uniform
-the Police Chief's offduty clothes
-the Police Department uniform

Here's the Mood Board for the Police Department

View attachment 1013280

There are a number of interesting things including

-the dichotomy between the blue uniforms of the officers and the tan uniform of the Chief
-the Chief lacking a hat (David Harbour had to fight for the character to wear a hat)
-the Hawkins Police patch had already been finalised
-the blue of the Hawkins Police patch is extremely dark
-the US flag patch is an ordinary US flag, not the modified design eventually used in the show

Here's the Hopper as Chief Mood Board. Notice the patches shaped like the Hawkins Police patches

View attachment 1013281

Hopper's off-duty clothes. Notice the beige button undershirt which became part of Hopper's uniform. Why the shirtless pics? Was Hopper originally going to lounge around the house shirtless all the time??

View attachment 1013282

Yes! I’ve also seen other pics showing Brody’s Blazer and it’s similarities to Hopper’s.

I think the costumer did a much better job on Hopper's uniform than on Brody's.

Hopper's is authentic Law Enforcement clothing, the sort the character would be wearing.

Brody's isn't a uniform at all, but Dickey-like work clothes with Police patches added. I don't think anyone in Law Enforcement would wear those clothes, especially back at that time.

Believe me, I originally come from a town much smaller than Hawkins, around a thousand people, and though their police department is only a few officers and one car they wear actual police uniforms.

Last edited:
Airsoft Season 1 Hopper revolvers:

Hopper's S1 revolver is a Smith & Wesson Model 66 (K frame) .357 Magnum in stainless steel with 4 inch barrel and walnut grips.

I'm not finding an exact airsoft equivalent so far.

Here's a screen shot showing the S1 revolver:

qtGuY4Z.jpg

Here are some factory-original S&W Model 66 grips from the early 1980s.

eudupjW.jpg

Here you can see that the Model 66 was a very popular Law Enforcement sidearm in the 1970s and 1980s, notice the variety of grip styles.

Note that the left-hand side grip has what's called a "speed loader cut out".

State Trooper S&W revolvers from around the country.

Now here's the TSD UHC 134 (gas) or TSD UA933 (spring). Much of it is correct, but notice the extractor housing is the same length as the barrel, while you can see in the photo above that it's shorter.

qeqgigs.jpg

Here's the Crown Model Hop Up S&W M629 I found on Ebay.

Notice that the extractor housing is correct, but the grip on that side doesn't have the "speed loader cut out" that the show revolver has. I Googled actual S&W grip pairs and sometimes a pair has the convex curve on both grips, other pairs have one grip with the convex curve and the other grip with the concave cutaway.

FQKfRlP.jpg

TSD does make a revolver like that, TSD UG131 but I've only been able to find it in black.

eYTFC7t.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry! I keep getting "error" messages from this site, it told me to wait and try again, then it posted the post twice! I can't seem to get rid of the extra posts.

Please let us know if you find a nice 3D printed or resin version!

Here many of the Cons ban anything resembling a weapon, including Nerf guns and water pistols, so a Hopper gun would be banned no matter what it was made from.

Other Cons allow prop guns but they must not have a functioning trigger. Others allow prop guns as long as they don't launch projectiles (no airsoft guns, Nerf guns, etc).

So if I find a suitable airsoft revolver I'll have to take it apart and remove all the metal functioning bits, leaving just a plastic shell.

I got my patches in today. They’re phenomenal and I’m really excited to add them onto the shirt and coat.

Attachments

• 75626D0E-0433-44A4-A313-AC8D92D0511A.jpeg
    75626D0E-0433-44A4-A313-AC8D92D0511A.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 308

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back