Collateral damage...ever bother you?

If you think about it, I'm sure a lot of guys on the Death Star were not complete jerks.. To be delivering Empire mail or working in the cafeteria and to have your place blown up by a few rebels is a bummer.

If you think about it, I'm sure a lot of guys on the Death Star were not complete jerks.. To be delivering Empire mail or working in the cafeteria and to have your place blown up by a few rebels is a bummer.

"A construction job of that magnitude would require a helluva lot more manpower than the Imperial army had to offer. I'll bet there were independent contractors working on that thing: plumbers, aluminum siders, roofers. In order to get it built quickly and quietly they'd hire anybody who could do the job. Do you think the average storm trooper knows how to install a toilet main? All they know is killing and white uniforms. All right, look-you're a roofer, and some juicy government contract comes your way; you got the wife and kids and the two-story in suburbia - this is a government contract, which means all sorts of benefits. All of a sudden these left-wing militants blast you with lasers and wipe out everyone within a three-mile radius. You didn't ask for that. You have no personal politics. You're just trying to scrape out a living. All those innocent contractors hired to do a job were killed - casualties of a war they had nothing to do with."

StarWarsMotivation20.jpg

This issue is what just took me right out of Batman Begins and just made me hate Nolan's Batman series. Batman's ill regard for the public (notably police officers) was just reckless and probably homicide.

There was a fun deleted scene in one of the Austin Power movies where they show the evil family finding out that Austin had ran over the stepdad with a steamroller. Lol. So tragic.

Every once in a while I think about this... but more about the Security guard or hired gun who is just protecting a compound because he just got back form Iraq (or similar) and can't find a decent job yet. (same thread as the contractors on the Death Star)

Iron man 3 kinda touches on this: Iron Man 3 Mark XLII to the rescue - YouTube (skip to 2:00) to see what I'm talking about.

And the billions who were killed on Alderaan ? If the information in the film is correct, the only way the Death Star could be stopped was to use the weak spot and blow it up. Sabotaging it might not have stopped it from being repaired and used in retaliatory raids or even a campaign of systematic planet destruction simply to put the fear of the Empire in the hearts of every sentient in the Galaxy.

It would be like somebody saying that the pilots who attacked the Japanese carriers at Midway should have taken the cooks and deck-swabbers into consideration.

And the billions who were killed on Alderaan ? If the information in the film is correct, the only way the Death Star could be stopped was to use the weak spot and blow it up. Sabotaging it might not have stopped it from being repaired and used in retaliatory raids or even a campaign of systematic planet destruction simply to put the fear of the Empire in the hearts of every sentient in the Galaxy.

It would be like somebody saying that the pilots who attacked the Japanese carriers at Midway should have taken the cooks and deck-swabbers into consideration.

Wow, way to get petty about a joke.

Always felt for the poor guy that ED-209 wastes in the board room. Did nothing wrong, just went to his office job, machine gunned to death.

I always felt bad for Jobe Smith.

Simple minded gardner guy, happy with his life, and then a mad scientist uses drugs and virtual reality to turn him into what eventually becomes a highly intelligent, psychotic madman with a God complex.

He never asked for that.

The Matrix always bothered me. Presumably all those security guards died in the real world. None of them would have had the first idea what was going on and from their point of view they were just doing their jobs and suddenly had to defend themselves against inexplicable super human homicidal maniacs.

i was only talking about this the other day,every action film needs a follow up,Lethal weapon 0.5. Riggs on the bench for discharging his weapon ,investigated for unlawful force in the pursuit of a suspect
Die hard 0.5. John filling out form after form and explaining every action and reaction he made.
At least after First Blood Rambo was locked away

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back