Death Star 2 Port Attack Diorama

Thanks guys... just got back from annual vacation and catching up.

Scratchy - I'm designing out the mounting points right now with the lighting wrapping up. I hope to have several mounts on the top, down the tunnel, and interchangable bottom plates. I still haven't ruled out a thin LCD mounted underneath to "extend" the tunnel going in or show the flames chasing the falcon coming out. I'm working out kind of a slider mechanism of sorts for the tunnel bottom...

Just came across this thread and think you did a great job incorporating the rack! This is going to be an amazing piece when finished.

i've been watching this build for a while and now that im a member i can tell you that this is the coolest model i've ever seen cant wait to see it finished. great work.

This is just insane!!! But I like it!!! :D

I've seen it done in the past with an X-Wing and a Falcon from the Hoth rebel base set, but this is way better. Interesting bit is with FineMolds now doing a 1/144 Falcon and F-Toys issuing 1/144 minis of the A-Wing, X-Wing, Y-Wing and the TIEs, it is a little easier to do now as at least there are ships in the same scale to work from. In your case though, I think the Argonauts Falcon is a more fitting piece since it seems ILM used the 5 foot Falcon for most of the interior scenes in the Death Star while the 32" was used mainly for the external dogfight sequences.

If I ever do something like this, I'll probably just do the Falcon coming out of the port as the DSII is blowing up. Then I would just need to render the exterior and come up with a way to make a glowing flickering mass of lighted fireball for the Falcon to come punching out of. ;)

Thanks all!

Working my way around the right tunnel and starting to mock/line up the front...

Hope to be painting/glueing up all the structural right and front parts by this weekend... then onto the design of the top port (finally!). :love

I've been watching this post for a while, just wanted to say it looks amazing and I cant wait to see it finished!

Steam would be kinda cool...

Finally got some good painting weather for the longer pieces. Found some 1/4i square channel in my stock and figured out how to make the inner structure connections all pretty and square. Also used real wood cross-pieces, just like a lot of parts on the original.

DS2_Build232b_sm.jpg

Got all but the lower left light tube done. Ran out of small tubing, but got most of the right side and front tubes on. Will wrap up the last light tube and couple of missing smaller tubes this week, and then time to (finally) buy some more MDF for the top and start the port. :cool

DS2_Build233_sm.jpg

And all the light tube bulbs can actually be changed if they burn out (which took most of the time on this phase)...

Now for the fun part...

Top surface layout... still deciding on building out the whole port, or the 3/4 sliced-off front like it is now. Leaning toward doing the whole port, as long as I've come this far. Now to cast the set of frames in resin or scratch them all from wood, like the originals (or so I understand)...

DS2_Build234_sm.jpg

Thanks! :$

Decided to finish up all of the smaller details of the tunnel. Wrapped up the front section of the rack and the sanding, painting, and mounting of the final light tube... p.s. the only lighting is from the tunnel itself...

DS2_Build234b_sm.jpg

DS2_Build234a_sm.jpg

Off on a trip the next week... but will be working on the design of the top port and surface. "This is where the fun begins..."

Last edited:
Great work YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!(y)thumbsup

Thanks! :$

Decided to finish up all of the smaller details of the tunnel. Wrapped up the front section of the rack and the sanding, painting, and mounting of the final light tube... p.s. the only lighting is from the tunnel itself...

DS2_Build234b_sm.jpg

DS2_Build234a_sm.jpg

Off on a trip the next week... but will be working on the design of the top port and surface. "This is where the fun begins..."

Back