Delayed and Cancelled conventions

Just a point I'd like to point out since it was written in the first post- and I'm not trying to be an alarmist or anything BUT... You don't have to have an underlying condition or have a compromised immune system to die from corona virus. It just makes it much more likely if you have issues... but the chances are NOT zero. I know an active duty military man that died from it - and he was in good health prior.

Just sayin',
Jedi Dade

Star Wars Celebration's site says they haven't yet decided. (August 27-30)

Los Angeles Comic Con's site says nothing about being delayed or cancelled, yet I can't find an option to purchase tickets. (September 25-27)

Ontario (California) Comic Con was rescheduled from May 16 & 17 to August 8 & 9.

A week ago I would have said an August date was optimistic, but suddenly things are opening up.

Denver Pop Culture Con (formerly Denver Comic Con) was originally scheduled for 3-5 July - July 4th weekend.

It‘s been postponed to 27-29 November - Thanksgiving weekend.

The city is currently using the convention center as a temporary medical facility.

Sean

Update - DPCC has officially been canceled for 2020. The city of Denver continues to use the convention center as an overflow medical facility, and intends on doing so through the end of the year.

DPCC 2021 is currently scheduled for 14-16 May 2021, which is great news as it does not overlap with any major holidays as has been the case the last few years.

Sean

Star Wars Celebration's site says they haven't yet decided. (August 27-30)

Los Angeles Comic Con's site says nothing about being delayed or cancelled, yet I can't find an option to purchase tickets. (September 25-27)

Ontario (California) Comic Con was rescheduled from May 16 & 17 to August 8 & 9.

A week ago I would have said an August date was optimistic, but suddenly things are opening up.

Over here in Germany we had the "Power of the force-Con" scheduled for the beginning of May, but it was moved to mid-July. The funny thing is that large conventions are forbidden until August and the organizer does not react to questions about refunds or coupons. Very unprofessional, a small **** storm is starting to build up and heading into his general direction.

A couple days ago I got an email from LA Comic Con saying that they had the opportunity to use the venue over Halloween weekend (Oct 30-Nov 1) and asking people to vote in a poll saying do we prefer that weekend or the original weekend (Sept 25-27).

Interesting!

BTW I bet when you say ****storm in German it sounds really cool.

NYCC officially still TBD but I'd be pretty surprised if NYC is allowing mass events by October. Cuomo + DeBlasio have both been pretty hard line on virus precaution, and it's worked, but allowing 10s of thousands of people to come to Javitz from the rest of the country seems unlikely. Plus Javitz is still acting as a field hospital (albeit empty at the moment).

Got an email yesterday from Star Wars Celebration (Anaheim California 27-30 August 2020) saying it has been cancelled.

As with LA Anime Expo, ticketholders have the option to roll over their tickets to the 2022 event.

Last edited:
Got an email yesterday from Star Wars Celebration (Anaheim California 27-30 August 2020) saying it has been cancelled.

As with LA Anime Expo, ticketholders have the option to roll over their tickets to the 2021 event.
From what ive heard, even Celebration 2021 has been cancelled.

You're right! OMG. I hadn't even noticed that they had jumped over 2021.

I corrected my post above, thanks for pointing that out.

The good news (for me) is that it's still in Anaheim. Going to let the tickets roll over, if that's an option.

You're right! OMG. I hadn't even noticed that they had jumped over 2021.

I corrected my post above, thanks for pointing that out.

The good news (for me) is that it's still in Anaheim. Going to let the tickets roll over, if that's an option.

Word on the street is they don’t want to conflict with D23, which is in 2021.

Sean

Makes total sense for the Anaheim venue, but I would think they could do Celebration in New York or something so there wouldn't be a regional conflict.

About other Cons, I just got an email yesterday saying that the Ontario (California) Comic Con, which had already been postponed to a later 2020 date, has now been cancelled altogether. The Las Vegas Comic Con is cancelled too.

FamExpo Canada

833D6AD2-A7C8-4479-ADA0-25DDCF121C1F.jpeg

Got an email from LA Comic Con, they're going to try to make a go of it in 2020, the new dates are December 11-13.

Tickets are said to go on sale "week of September 21".

They add a big IF: the Con will go on IF the City of Los Angeles and the State of California allow it to go on.

Got an email from LA Comic Con, they're going to try to make a go of it in 2020, the new dates are December 11-13.

Tickets are said to go on sale "week of September 21".

They add a big IF: the Con will go on IF the City of Los Angeles and the State of California allow it to go on.

I think many are seeing a trend with insanity and politics and some may bank on that being a potential causation for the restrictions and gambling if that is the case things will magically clear up after November.

That said I think we may see many, many, conventions try to reschedule for October, November, and December dates to try and skirt past all the restrictions.

The big telling point will be how school re-opening force re-evaluations on student safety and health and how new appliances fail to work and create even more dangerous liabilities for the state on short sighted targets. Require a face shield, instant blade in a school yard fight. Require a face mask in gym class, Jimmy dies after an asthma attack for an undiagnosed condition. Little Jimbo has a note saying he can't wear one because he has chronic lung issues and he will literally die if he wears one. Then all the other kids want to be like Jimbo. The social dynamics coupled with the dynamics of illness and health in a learning school environment especially in lower income districts will be a very contentious point of focus and study.

Think of it like a glob of gooey lava travelling ever so slowly down a mountainside and the trick is to not get burned but stay as close to it as possible and be able to jump over to the newly hardened surface without breaking through and getting burned alive. You are hosed no matter what you do in every literal sense of the word, and no matter what at least a few will get burned. The trick is to figure out how to not get burned or get hosed in the whole process of things.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back