Disney could sell Lucasfilm ?

I think we're already at that point. Harry Potter means far more to people under 30 than Star Wars, Star Trek, or franchises I grew up with. Star Wars was briefly cool when Force Awakens was released. My kids were caught up in it.

Someday they might take their kids to a Star Wars movie and talk about how it was "your grandpa's favorite thing".

I do think we're on the downward slope. I don't know where that leads.

If they make good video games, that will keep kids interested in star wars. Putting all their effort into tv shows and movies is a waste of time. First build your video game empire out, then spot drop film and tv.

What's this obsession with convincing kids now that Star Wars is awesome? Who cares what they think? Either they'll like it or not. Are we that desperate a fan base that we can't let them decide what to like on their own? There's no doubt that they've all heard of it and they have more of it to choose from than any generation since 1977.

What's this obsession with convincing kids now that Star Wars is awesome? Who cares what they think? Either they'll like it or not. Are we that desperate a fan base that we can't let them decide what to like on their own? There's no doubt that they've all heard of it and they have more of it to choose from than any generation since 1977.
I don't care. My kids aren't big Star Wars fans, even though they've seen all of the movies. They're not big Harry Potter fans either, even though they read all of the books and saw all of the movies. Mostly, my oldest daughter went into video games, especially classic games and then, into a lot of Japanese games, which led her to eventually become a professional Japanese translator. My youngest daughter really isn't a serious fan of anything. I guess it's because we never did fanaticism around here. Our walls aren't covered in fannish anything. When they went to conventions and wanted to dress up, we supported them. Wheh she was in her Team Fortress 2 phase, I built her all of the props and she had a really nice hall costume. I've still got all of the stuff in the corner of her old room. Nobody ever let it get in the way of just living life though. Star Wars is just a movie franchise. I like it, but it remains just a couple of movies.

People often enjoy it when their children like what they like, it creates good memories and from a corporate perspective it creates a new generation of consumers/fans which keeps the cash flowing.

... and besides, Disney has never been about keeping the same old memories of the same old subjects and characters generation after generation after generation like some kind of family tradition.

No wait, nevermind.

Nothing gets me upset more on any forum than someone using the term "True Fans" in the context that they've set up a criteria that comes from their own mind and then uses it to elevate themselves above another...as if they've arrived and graduated to a higher level in their own RPG that's called "True Fan Status" and until you agree with them then you'll never be considered such. Every time someone says that i'm going to send them a ladder emoji so they can hopefully use it to climb down from their high horse.

I can't stand that crap either. That and the false belief that if you're a fan you should be willing to settle for anything with that logo on it. If you follow a football team chances are you don't watch every single game in the league every season, just the ones your team plays. The same principle applies to Lucasfilm productions or any IP for that matter. You take what you like and you leave the rest. This all or nothing mentality needs to die. It's idiotic.

Yeah you used to only have to deal with gatekeepers and now you have to deal with company shills (maybe a better name?) who insist everything Disney, for example, releases is gold. And you should be happy that you're getting ANY new SW! :rolleyes:

I'm happy at least I was able to get my 20yo nephew into SW when he was younger. My niece is 16yo (on the 4th!) and she likes The Clone Wars, Mandalorian, etc., but only watched ANH and ESB then said they were boring... So at least my nephew can b*tch about how awful the new shows are with me! :lol:

Yeah you used to only have to deal with gatekeepers and now you have to deal with company shills (maybe a better name?) who insist everything Disney, for example, releases is gold. And you should be happy that you're getting ANY new SW! :rolleyes:

I'm happy at least I was able to get my 20yo nephew into SW when he was younger. My niece is 16yo (on the 4th!) and she likes The Clone Wars, Mandalorian, etc., but only watched ANH and ESB then said they were boring... So at least my nephew can b*tch about how awful the new shows are with me! :lol:
You know, when all else fails you may have to pitch the baby ewoks...they're irresistibly cute...lol
1688343751510.png

whats the run down on Disney having to buy hulu? is that true?
Yeah. So Disney currently owns 2/3rds of Hulu while Comcast owns the last 1/3. Based on the terms of the deal in 2019, Disney is expected to buy the final part from Comcast which is estimated to be about $9 billion. Iger seems to be backtracking because streaming is a huge loss but Comcast can force Disney to buy out its stake in early 2024 (as can Disney if streaming did do well).

Since Disney is strapped for cash and streaming is a dud, they need to pray that Comcast will “alter the deal” and find a new buyer to buy out their minority share.

Iger definately did not care about the purse strings when he was on his shopping spree (which inflated Disney stock price which made him seem “good”) and Chapek was the fall guy who needed to rebalance the budget. Now that Iger is back, he needs to solve the mess he made.

What's this obsession with convincing kids now that Star Wars is awesome? Who cares what they think? Either they'll like it or not. Are we that desperate a fan base that we can't let them decide what to like on their own?

The answer is Yes. At least from Disney/Lucasfilm's point of view. It's a very morbid thought, but from a strictly practical level the generation in their 30 and 40s during the OT releases (my parents) are now in their 70s/80s and are dying off. Their children (my age) are now in their 40's and 50s and have a world other responsibilities and entertainment distractions. My children did not grow up in the same Theater centric entertainment world, and if I don't introduce them to SW they may never give it much thought.

So, you have to FORCE (pun intended) the younger generation to see it as something special, for revenue streams.

Coke, Pepsi, McDonald's et al do this all the time. Get them on board while they're young, and you'll have a lifelong customer.

Last edited:
"Fan" is a strong word. I believe that true fandom can only be sustained in grown-ups. When I was a kid, Star Wars was a passing fad, among many. That things change is part of growing up. Things stop changing when you become an adult.

Exactly. I can remember walking through my local mall in 1987 and seeing signs at the book store for the 10th Anniversary of Star Wars. I was ambivalent. And that was 35 years ago.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back