Doctor Who - A Journal of Impossible Things (Novelized Version)

Well dang. Oh well. By the way, about my note on making the spine 1/16" thinner, make that 1/8" thinner. I also need to clean up the loops where I erased the chains off the watch images, they look a little bit off.

Very nice work Risu! A great item to put with your actual journal. :)

I was hoping for that picture too.

And for all those looking to replicate the title page too, it appears (Based on behind the scenes photos) that they folded a piece of paper in half and glued it into the front of the book, giving a blank page followed by the title page. And the measurements of Pack Animals' pages are 7 3/4" x 4 7/8" so you'll need a piece of paper 7 3/4" x 9 3/4" folded in half, with the title page printed on the right hand side of the page. (in landscape orientation)

Just thought I'd pass that along.

-Nick

Where exactly is this title page seen? I don't remember it, I just thought the page was blank as she fake wrote on it.

And as soon as I finish up these last two journals in a few hours I'll take that picture, right before mailing one of them out. I don't actually have my own, never got around to it. I've been toying around with the idea of going back to the start and beginning again. Not sure if I will, and the different binding method I have in mind would be the biggest PitA, so I don't look forward to it, at least not until after my run of River diaries.

Well, the page she "wrote" on for the Doctor was at such an extremely oblique angle as to make it difficult to see, but we DO have this:

OpenBook.png

Couple that with this nice fellow, folding a piece of paper above an open book (Actually it looks like he already has two folios in already before he adds the page he's folding here):

3372777969_a7b9d9da4b_b.jpg

And that's enough evidence for me to suggest that at least 1-2 books had title pages (Though by the picture I'd be willing to guess 4 got the treatment)...and enough for me to want one myself. :p

-Nick

Hm. I didn't see one in the book she gave to the Doctor though. It's a real pain to get a piece of paper trimmed to be completely flush with the others in a pre-bound book. And there's something I just REALLY didn't like about that Damien guy. :lol So I think I'll just skip it.

And there's something I just REALLY didn't like about that Damien guy.
He was standing there rather awkwardly, wasn't he? And then after she finished talking he just walked away without saying a word...as if he had never asked her a question in the first place.

...Maybe he'll come back in a future series as a villian, and right now he's just researching The Doctor. (Least likely thing I've ever typed :lol)

-Nick

Oh, man! I lost this thread for a while! You guys have made some really *thrilling* progress, stuff looks great. :)

It's funny that we all seem to be working on similar projects. I'm on vacation right now, but when I get home I'm going to be working on a Cyberman (new series) pep build, as well as a few other things I'm excited to get around to sculpting. :)

Went to Borders last night. They had ONE copy of Pack Animals. With the coupon, got it for $7.77 tax included. All I need now is a cover! :love

I kinda started over last night but using all of the reference images I took in 720p from the episode. Between that, set photos and the front/back cover shots, I'm very happy with how it's looking. I used the perspective, skew and rotate tools to get the shots all in the exact right place. I did shave 1/8 off the spine but I feel it's too thin. If it looks better that way though when printed I will deal with it. If I'm unhappy I can always make it 1-2mm thicker later on for a second print out. I've only got some of the runes, the lens flare and the barcode left to do and that's it. I'll post preview images before test printing though to see what everyone thinks. I still need a copy of Pack Animals, I couldn't get to Borders to use that coupon last night (thank you for posting that by the way) :(

Oh and I have to ask, what did you guys use as the name on the back of the book? C Foar? It looks like C Topp to me but figured I'd ask anyway.

C Foxx.

The spine does seem really thin, and to be honest Pack Animals itself feels too thin. But we were told that's the one and I trust that.

Hey Nick, any chance you can send me your journal photo so I can switch it out and get a new one printed today with my spine and watch changes made? I just finished this journal and don't want to take pics of it with the old jacketed version.

Okie dokie, just wanted to make sure. Also thanks for the proper name, I couldn't quite make it out :D

Could I get a copy of that journal photo too please, Nick? If not, that's cool, just figured I'd ask :D

So last night I bound Orange Blend's journal and realized after the glue had dried that I put the pages in slightly crooked. I've always worried about how durable my journals are on account of being a hybrid perfect binding. Well, not anymore. I wouldn't recommend anybody put them through anything intense, but it was DIFFICULT pulling that thing back apart.

And Orange Blend, in case you're wondering, your journal isn't damaged. I'll be using a new leather strip for the binding, but the cover and pages are just fine.

OK, got my second draft printed up. This time I went with the glossy cover instead of glossy text. It's slightly thicker than the jackets on my other books, but that's better than slightly thinner. It also ended up much glossier and matched them more accurately than the first print. The only problem is that the colors printed darker on that paper. So for the third and probably final print I'll lighten some parts of it a bit. The title came out looking spot on though. So as promised, pictures.

DSC02148.jpg

DSC02151.jpg

DSC02152.jpg

DSC02155.jpg

Funny side note, I decided for the heck of it to dress like off-set, normal attire Matt Smith for my trip to Kinko's and got seriously hit on by a girl that worked there. I guess chicks do dig that ridiculous look.

That looks very awesome. Especially with the actual journal with it.

So let me get this straight? The gradient on the title and gold bar are just from the light hitting the glossy cover? Or is that with the gradient too?

That's what I thought.

So what does "This time I went with the glossy cover instead of glossy text" mean? Is that an option that Kinko's has when printing the cover or something? To just make the text glossy? Excuse my ignorance, I've just never used the place, that's all. If that is indeed an option they do then that's pretty cool.

EDIT: I'm getting back to work on mine right now. I don't think I'll get it finished tonight but I can get some done. Not long now until I can go print mine out too :D

No, glossy text is a glossy text weight paper. Glossy cover is a glossy cover stock weight. It's about 3 times as heavy.

Sorry, guys, I've been running all over the place the last few days, and will be for a few more. I can send you guys the original journal picture I'm working from tomorrow night when I'm back on my home computer.

Check your mail around 11:00 or 12:00 your time tomorrow.

And as for the book with the journal...Now I NEED to make a journal for my display, they look fantastic together, Risu. That different paper stock seems to be making all the difference, it really pops now. And as always, your journal looks gorgeous. It's a great piece of work!

-Nick

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back