[DONE] Shriek - Villain from Batman Beyond

Re: [WIP] Shriek - Villain from Batman Beyond

I finished on time for the C2E2 contest submission! But then I went out of town for the weekend and I didn't have time to post anything! Now... the finishing touches!

I first had to measure out and chalk the shirt to ensure the correct placement of snaps for the armor. I choose snaps for most of my armor because it is a comparably easy on-off solution for them, ensuring easy transport and correct placement every time. Not to mention they work a lot better than hot glue on any sort of stretchy material. I also sewed some nylon webbing to the ends of the elastic, so that when they were mounted to the armor, they would grip for a long time. (Elastic will eventually pull away from the hot glue.)

IMG_20160217_202250_649.jpg

Then there was lots of crimping snaps together, crimping the other half of the snaps to the shirt, and hot gluing everything in the correct places. The shoulder pieces are up too high to use a strap under the arm, so they got three snaps a piece to ensure they stay in the right places. I also hot glued an elastic strap to the inside of the forearm pieces (not pictured) to ensure that it, also, stays where it should be.

IMG_20160217_212712_943.jpg

Finally, I attached 2 strips of nylon, one on each side, to the lower part of the chest/back, to make sure that it, too, fits snugly. I installed a snap on the front end of them to allow for easy on/off. After a test fit, the front chest piece seemed to want to pull the whole unit forward, so I installed a snap on each side of the upper back to help keep it in place.

IMG_20160217_212850_691.jpg

The entire costume, laid out!

IMG_20160218_201228_988.jpg

THE MOMENT OF TRUTH!

View attachment KmC0XtH.jpgView attachment bpwgxKd.jpgView attachment KN11LRI.jpg

I'm pretty pleased with it! The only thing I'm really missing is the black balaclava, which I'll have in a week or two. I will also have some better photos eventually. But for now, this project is [/COMPLETE]!

Considering your body type a morph suit may look pretty sharp under your armor. Your suit looks great. Hope to see a few more pics soon.

Looks straight out of the cartoon without looking goofy. Fantastic job. This costume definitely deserves some professional photos to do it justice.

DUDE. That is stellar. :thumbsup

Thank you! I appreciate it.

Looks amazing! You did a great job on this project!

Thanks!

Considering your body type a morph suit may look pretty sharp under your armor. Your suit looks great. Hope to see a few more pics soon.

I thought about doing a morph suit, but after investigating the source material, the proportions of the art do not translate well to real world. Plus, this way I can where combat boots which I know will be comfortable to walk around C2E2 in.

This was always one of my favorite Batman Beyond villains! Great job on this!

Mine too, Jax! Thank you.

That suit is fantastic! He was my favorite villain from that show. Good job!

He is definitely mine as well, Seraph. I appreciate the compliment.

Holy ****, that looks better than the art.

Wow! That's quite the compliment! I really appreciate that, man.

Looks straight out of the cartoon without looking goofy. Fantastic job. This costume definitely deserves some professional photos to do it justice.

Thank you Collin! That was the goal: accuracy while practically bringing it to the real world. I will eventually have some professional shots done, just need to save up for the shoot.

So, is an actually glowing Blight next for you?

I'll admit, for a few seconds I had to sit back and consider how I could go about doing that! But I think I want to tackle Uncanny X-Men Cyclops (the red suit) with a light up visor next, but who knows? I have a few projects on my "want to build" list.

However, in the more immediate future, I am happy to announce the following:

C2E2-2016-ImAContestant-Square.png

I submitted Shriek on a whim, because I was done on time and, you know, why not? After seeing the costumes last year, I did NOT expect to get picked as a contestant, but it is a pleasant surprise! I doubt I will win anything, given that a kick-ass Groot won last year and a Bioshock Big Daddy the year before that, but it will be fun to strut my stuff on the stage!

I thought about doing a morph suit, but after investigating the source material, the proportions of the art do not translate well to real world. Plus, this way I can where combat boots which I know will be comfortable to walk around C2E2 in. I
I believe he's saying you could wear a plain black morphsuit under the sculpted armor (instead of a shirt and pants), and eliminate the need for a balaclava

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I believe he's saying you could wear a plain black morphsuit under the sculpted armor (instead of a shirt and pants), and eliminate the need for a balaclava

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I understood that. And a morph suit was my first choice for the rest of the costume. But I looked at the proportions of the animated Shriek which, thanks to the animation style, do not translate to real life. Instead, as long as I was modifying the design of the armor to make it more practical for real-world-wear, I figured I would also alter the rest of the body to something more realistic and tactical i.e. something Shriek might actually wear if he existed. Not the most accurate choice in terms of the source material, I grant you, but I felt it to be the best for my design and walking around a con.

I understood that. And a morph suit was my first choice for the rest of the costume. But I looked at the proportions of the animated Shriek which, thanks to the animation style, do not translate to real life. Instead, as long as I was modifying the design of the armor to make it more practical for real-world-wear, I figured I would also alter the rest of the body to something more realistic and tactical i.e. something Shriek might actually wear if he existed. Not the most accurate choice in terms of the source material, I grant you, but I felt it to be the best for my design and walking around a con.
Gotcha, my mistake. I thought you were saying you were going to screen print the armor onto a morph suit.

In the end, looks great regardless

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back