EFX X Wing Arrival, Thoughts & Pictures

rahman

Ok..

The days ahead of us, will be a new era...

So it should be a new topic.

Here is our welcoming topic...

Every fan very welcomed...

Cheers...

A.R.A.

This is an official update from Amy...

The birds will be arriving around 15th of february.

Most exciting 10 days.

:)

While I'm sure everyone who bought one is eagerly awaiting the arrival, it's nice to finally see pics of an actual production piece.......Wow, uh, I hope you all enjoy them.:lol

I do agree with the general consensus, it does look very toy like, i think maybe thats down to the paint....i love the hull profile,...hate that cockpit and canopy...blooming awful!

Id carve out that cockpit, scratch a studio one, graft in the canopy, and then repaint...should look pretty nice then, but i dont see this ever topping a V3 with Jasons armature and a good set of scratched Hero wings...not in a million...still rate Moes hull as the business!

lee

Hmmm... those shots look a little over exposed, too much flash- note the picture of the X-wing as it sits in the polystyrene tray which maybe its natural look. I've got one on order but need to see more pictures to warrant cancellation and I'm sure there will be many more.

I think it will look a lot better if it was a lot dirtier. It's too clean, giving the toy like impression. It's great it has all the features it does, like aluminum wings, lights, etc, but it dosen't mean a lot when the paint makes it look like a toy. It may be worth the money, but it dosen't look like it.:unsure

C'mon guys - are you gonna judge the quality of a model (any model) by looking at photos of it? Or are you gonna say you are satisfied or unsatisfied with it when it is sitting in your living room/den/man cave and seeing it in person? Personally, I want to see how good it looks in my den before I pass judgment.

With all due respect to the photographer who shared his picks on Rebelscum - using a flash in closeup pics is gonna make the REAL thing look horrible.

I'm reserving judgment till I go over to Carson Dyle's office and see his in person. For me, that's the true test.

My 2 cents.

Gene

Toylike - Nah. In serious need of a repaint - Oh Yes... the paintjob is really bad. The airbrushing is really poor... For this kind of money, that paintjob is a crime. The ONLY thing that it has going for it is that the paint references and colors are probably right. Other then that its terrible.

Of my modeling skills - paint is my weakest skill - and I know I can paint it better then that... and I freely admit that I'm no "painter o' mad skills..."

I seriously hope that the model pictured is an anomolous paintjob - its probably not but I hope it is. Hell the ICONS paintjob looked better, maybe not as color/panel accurate, but looked better...

As far as hard flash photos etc... the flash didn't add the nasty spray all aound the torp tubes - or the total "gray" butt plate. It may look slightly better under real lighting etc... but it's not gonna fix that...

Jedi Dade

Last edited:
I think for many, the model will have to be judged on pics alone Gene, no offence, but even the pics of the proto, taken by a better photographer, didnt get an amazing reaction.
For all involved, the only way to see this before you hit the buy button, is by only seeing pics, even the way it was handled sales wise made it impossible to view one in the flesh through an off the shelf vendor, this of course applied to many MR items too....so yeah, thats how im judging it!

lee

Honestly, I am not surprised about the paint job being below the level of some of the people on this board. I mean, there is no way a factory paint job will ever match the skills of a true artist. However, having said that I still think that this is a nice model with a decent factory paint job. This is very similar to what we saw with the MR Falcon and flash photography. Flash photos will always make any paint job look worse than it is.

More important to me is how accurate this model is dimensionally, as I had always planned to repaint it before I even purchased it. It will be interesting to see once a few X-wing Xperts get their hands on one and to hear what they have to say about the accuracy of the model's dimensions and details.

The overall style and shape of it seem good. But incomparison to the majority of forum builds of a big X wing it doesn't 'impress' me ,at least not £1000 worth of impressed. Depressive, most depressive.
Kurt' s comments on the proto type over on Model magic appear spot on and this doesn't seem to have changed all that much except the nose seems slightly better but again it could be angle. ANd although the flash washes alot of the colour out it still looks really flat and uninspiring.
Thing is I think we are now so used to fantastic studio quality painting by alot of guys who take weeks over them, it was always going to suffer incomparisson to the custom jobs. Once thats re done I think it will improve it beyond recognition. But thats going to cost onto top of a piece thats already a substantially outlay for most in these hard times.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back