Efx X Wing

Well first look...its what i expected, and no more, yes its an early draft, but the paint isnt up to say...what guys here have been doing to X wings way better, for way longer (Matt, Dymerski, Guy Cowen)

Looks...false, to stark maybe and the weathering could have been way better for a "showoff" model!

As i feared, close up shots, that canopy is just awful, it really does ruin the lines of the upper hull, but i wont mention the toy company as ill be burned at the stake, kinda reminds me of the Koto/ArtFX model!

Nosecone, looks bang on in size to my eye, but yes id say it curls up a tad too much!

All in all, looking at these pics im very glad i have a V3 and alloy armature paid up!

lee

Re: eFX X-wing (China Paint Prototype #1) REVIEW by Kuhn Global

The photos are where now?

Kurt - it's "gnawing at me" not "knowing at me", unless this X-wing can actually teach us telepathically? Then I am SOOOO in!

:p

PIIIICS PIIIIIIICS!

oh - you put 'em in the RI board. Bah. RI is blocked by the govt servers for being a gaming site. Sigh.

Ahh man... I forgot to spell check! LOLOL... Thanks Jason.

I forgot to mention the R2...

Their R2 is second to none. TOP NOTCH! I understand Mike Verta is responsible for the R2 being sweet.
icon_biggrin.gif

Yeah Beaz but that's a pic of Red 2 which are well known to get the nose "pointing up" unlike Red Leader, Red 3 and Red 5 ! I'm not an X-Wing expert though !

The grammar errors are mine. Blame a Liverpudlian edumacation, and not enough hours in the day to get things done, or proof read. I write like I speak, an unfortunate hold over from scripting and copyrighting.

Barry

I was born in Liverpool England as well - we moved to the States when I was 5 years old. Small world. My family still feverishly supports Liverpool FC - go Reds!

Kurt,

The cockpit being molded closed never occurred to us as an option. We didn't leave it out for cost reasons. Believe me... I know you had some problems with the cockpit fit and that makes the difference between the hinges standing out or being much more subtle. The wing meccy problem, I was sorry to hear about. We'll autopsy it when we get it back. I've not heard of a failure yet in all our months of building and testing. But it has travelled the States and has been manhandled.

Thanks for your honest review. I appreciate you spending your time on it and sharing it with the folks on this board.

Barry

Yep, I was an ardent Reds supporter. I followed them all over this globe in their halcyon days. Or should that be in my Halcyon days ;)

Beaz, yeah Julien has said it all lol, the curl just looks wrong for 5, correct for 2 though, maybe this is the Hero they got to use? I dont know, not many survive now and 5 is just an armature and wings with a few bits of wire lol.
I just dont know, why does the paint master not impress either, the least they would have done is blown us away with the paint, but the paint to me, is like Salzo birds going back three years, the rust chipping over the grey looks bloody terrible, almost like a comic book coloring!

Nah, just not impressed at all, and seeing these pics, concretes the fact its a miss for me, and a bit of a wasted effort.

That said, its the guys who are buying that matter, and if they are happy, thats all that counts!

lee

Fascinating...

The geometry of the nose cone in Kurt's comparison pic instantly reminded me of the Maxi-Brute.

On the Maxi-Brute packaging, there is a photo which makes the nose look caricaturely too large, and oddly upturned. But in person, the Maxi looks (and "feels") just right. The eFx seems to share those characteristics in certain angles.

Though I'm not certain any of us have ever concluded with certainty exactly how the Maxi was produced, or what model (which Red wing number) it was based off of, I have previously and publicly stated my own personal opinion that I feel the Maxi is (or was) the closest to the originals.

Now I'm wondering if that assessment (that the Maxi is damn close to the original) still holds credence

Last edited:
You guys are right about Red 5, for sure. From the reference I have, its nose is dead-level, as is Red 1's. Red 3's nose is the slightly droopy one, just like the V3.

I guess my point is that we have at least one of the four known hero models that has a slightly upturned nose, just like this eFX fuselage. Which is just one reason why I think we're looking at a fuselage that actually has its origins in a real hero model, unlike any of the garage kits available to date.

As for the Maxi-Brute, I still don't believe it's a straight pull from a hero fuselage. I believe they tweaked a number of areas to turn it into a flying rocket. It'll be interesting to compare the MB and eFX fuselages side by side, to be sure.

But, back on the topic of the upturned nose, my point was that the nose on the proto on Rebelscum.com looks correct compared to the sample Kurt photographed. Rebelscum above, Kurt's sample below. So, what's the scoop on the nose mounting? Is that a factory controlled assembly issue? Or, is the nose actually part of the fuse? Or, as Mike V is great at pointing out, am I drawing conclusions based on faulty assumptions, and inequitable photography?

proto.jpg

kurt.jpg

I may have read this wrong, but my understanding is that Kurt was sent the exact same model that the Rebelscum guy got. In other words, those two pics are of the same model.

Not sure what kind of camera/lens combinations these guys were using, but one thing I've noticed before about Kurt's blue screen pics is that things in the foreground have a way of getting "squished," and that's clearly the case here:

Resin Illuminati picture

Rebelscum picture of the same model

More evidence that mverta knows what he's talking about when it comes to comparing what we see in photographs.

I think a lot has to do with camera angle.. either that, or the Red 2 model has had it's fuselage warp upwards over the last THIRTY THREE YEARS it sat on shelves, was abused/used/retrofitted/etc (lol)... either scenario is entirely possible in my opinion.

Check it:

comp.gif

Interesting trivia - The X-Wing was known internally as Project 504, and the Blue 1 (Red 2) and Red Y-Wing were painted on 12/22, 23, and 24th in 1975 by Steve Gawley and Joe Johnston. They then got one day off for X-mas, and then the Blue X and Red y were shipped to England on the 26th to be used as a template for the full-scale sets! By December 31st 1975, the second X-Wing was completed and went in front of the cameras for tests. (MANY thanks to a very knowledgeable member here for the info)

So - HAPPY BIRTHDAY ORIGINAL X-WINGS! You guys are 33 now ;)

Beaz, I can't say with certainty that the bird on Rebelscum is different than the bird Kurt shot, but I can say that they have different paint jobs. Therefore, I concluded that they are, in fact, different replicas, altogether.

So, it would still be nice to hear whether we're seeing an assembly issue (misaligned/fitted nose) that can be corrected so the final product looks more like the reference of Red 5...

compKeFx.jpg

I think a lot has to do with camera angle.. either that, or the Red 2 model has had it's fuselage warp upwards over the last THIRTY THREE YEARS it sat on shelves, was abused/used/retrofitted/etc (lol)... either scenario is entirely possible in my opinion.

Probably both. On top of being shipped across the globe and back, and then countless hours baking under hot stage lights. :)

Nice animation, Jason. I still think there's a slight upward attitude on that nose cone, even in the final frame w/Blue 1. Definitely not as much as in the more recent shot, though.

Beaz, I can't say with certainty that the bird on Rebelscum is different than the bird Kurt shot, but I can say that they have different paint jobs. Therefore, I concluded that they are, in fact, different replicas, altogether.

Whoa - I didn't even notice that. Nice catch. In one of Kurt's lead-ins he said:

He is sending me an "early" artist proof (which was last in Phil Wise's hands)

and Rebelscum is Phil Wise's joint. So I guess I assumed the pics were of the same model. Judging by your pics, they're different, to be sure.

So yeah, I share your questions about fit and finish. Should make for an interesting January/February as these start hitting their new homes...

I have a question. I noticed that the proportions of the nose cone on the real Red 2 (bottom) was different than the other two replicas. Did this specific area on the nose cones vary from screen used model to screen used model?

1129801.jpeg

You literally grabbed two photos which are perfect examples of why photo comparisons rarely work. The differences in angles would cause the same one ship to do that.

_Mike

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back