Fauno Pan's Labyrinth full body sculpt -- FINISHED, final photos in first post+end

Re: Fauno, Pan's Labyrinth, full body sculpt. Horns, mask sculpt done on pg 4

General housekeeping update.

FINAL CASTS COMPLETED:
4. Right horn
5. Left horn

SCULPTS DONE AND MOLDED (CASTS NEEDED):
2/3. Ears 1 and 2
8. Left hand
9. Right hand
10. Upper bicep (one sculpt to be used twice)
16. Hoof (one sculpt to be used twice)
Left shoulder/Right shoulder (previously included in the chestpiece sculpt)
11. Chestpiece/Stomach and lower back sculpt
12. Upper Back
6. Face and horn base
7. Neckpiece

SCULPTS FINISHED (not yet molded)
14. Left thigh

TO BE SCULPTED ASAP:
15. Right Thigh
17/18. Lower legs one and two

NON-SCULPT ITEMS
19/20. Left and Right foot platforms **I have purchased 8" platform shoes for this and will be hiding them within the hoof.
21. Bodysuit texturing
1. Under-face-sculpt (to be attached to the helmet as a support for the eyes)

And then assembly/painting. Base tint for the latex and then highlights.

I'm coming up on the panic zone so I am going to tetnatively say all molds done by the 17th and then painting/assembly from August 18th to when I leave on the 27th.

I don't get it :(

In the movie "Contact", Jodie Foster's character (a scientist) sees something so beautiful she can't comprehend or express it. So she says "They should have sent a poet..."
Your work is amazing :)

*EDIT* Booyotch answered as I was typing this up. Haha. I'm leaving the post as is because it includes the movie clip, which is great.
Booyotch was paying you a compliment (a deserved one.) It's a quote from the movie "Contact."

Superb work in these updates, by the way. Wonderful wonderful. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

In the movie "Contact", Jodie Foster's character (a scientist) sees something so beautiful she can't comprehend or express it. So she says "They should have sent a poet..."
Your work is amazing :)

Booyotch was paying you a compliment (a deserved one.) It's a quote from the movie "Contact."

Ohh. :blush: Thank you both! :)

Looking awesome! very excited to see how the movements look with a Torso, neck, head mask - Have thought about this arrangement in the past (havent made anything that needed it yet / was too n00b to try it). Yeah, head with neck always seemed limited in mobility and having a neck separated logically would offer a better solution. - Would love to see a video of the mobility when you're done!!!

I can't wait to see how this looks when it's all done. It's incredible already! :D

Looking awesome! very excited to see how the movements look with a Torso, neck, head mask - Have thought about this arrangement in the past. Yeah, head with neck always seemed limited in mobility and having a neck separated logically would offer a better solution.

TBH I'm doing it this way for two reasons: the original sculpt on Doug Jones was done this way; and my livecast has some pretty serious sagging on the front neck part, so I had to use my mannequin to sculpt on to get a tighter fit. I hope it pays off!

Working on eyes now.

9353432577_803693eff5_b.jpg

Before I sunk the head into plaster, I created a mold for the shape of the eyes (and used that shape to create the placement of the eyes on the head). This way the resin eyes will exactly match the mold.

I tried two methods so far. I'm using Smoothcast 325 for this because I want the "cloudy" old Faun eyes. It's not JUST clouds, though, there's a hint of blue behind the eyes.

534457_260942197360489_1371891488_n.jpg

First up (on the right, this is with and without flash) is a cast with just the 325. It comes out perfectly cloudy and beautiful. This is pre-polish/clearcoat, which will gloss it up to a mirror shine.

9356206610_c787d83ff5_z.jpg

9353431443_483d065249_z.jpg

The one on the left was my first attempt at adding a bit of that blue behind the unit. I tried doing this in a two-pour setup (ie, pouring a tiny bit of resin, then putting in a round buck with the blue, and then pouring in the resin behind it). This worked and didn't work; it has some bubbles where the two pieces of resin attached to each other and it's clear that it was done in two pours.

During the cure.
9353433003_206ac5987e_z.jpg

I think this is the right approach but I'm going to have to do this in one pour (ie, sink the blue button I'm using into the resin... or create a silicone buck (like a finger) and pour in a blue resin behind it). This way the 325 on the OUTSIDE of the eyeball won't have any chance of showing cracks/bubbles.

Also, I might experiment a bit with the shape of the blue piece.... his eyes had a definite shape to it that weren't round.

Will do more experimenting later.

Very interesting! I would take note, however, that the blue in the eyes of the elderly fauno is not round like a human iris, it's rectangular, like a sheep or goat's eye.

Very interesting! I would take note, however, that the blue in the eyes of the elderly fauno is not round like a human iris, it's rectangular, like a sheep or goat's eye.

Correct; I did mention that at the bottom :) These are tests to make sure the technique is going to work at all, which I think it will.

Correct; I did mention that at the bottom :) These are tests to make sure the technique is going to work at all, which I think it will.
Oop, yea, just noticed that clarification sentence. Thought I saw the whole post, but I was one my phone and hadn't finished scrolling, sorry!

Oop, yea, just noticed that clarification sentence. Thought I saw the whole post, but I was one my phone and hadn't finished scrolling, sorry!

All good, I'm glad you think my post worthy of phone-checking :D

For sure! It's what subscribing is handy for.

SO NERVOUS cracking the head mold, but I opened it yesterday and all was well.

FREE AT LAST
9370738950_e3034f2005_c.jpg

5-part mold (technically only three of these were "together;" the horn circles are plugs only so I can store this mold without worry of stress on the joints.
9367959391_a802642828_b.jpg

I only cleaned out one of the halves thus far but am SO happy with the level of detail it captured with no cracking at all. And the seam line down the center appears to be as close to flush as I could have hoped.
9370739970_ecbf1b4c35_b.jpg

9370739438_c2a23d9c50_b.jpg

Re: Fauno, Pan's Labyrinth, full body sculpt. Opened the head mold on pg 5!

I've been following this for while now & I've got to say this is a great thread & your doing a great job :) :thumbsup
Looks like quite a comprehensive build with many parts, I'm looking forward to seeing a head cast with the horns attached :)

Thank you all for your compliments :) Leigh I've followed your Alien build for forever so that means a lot!!

No big update in photos, but work continues. I have 8 molds with latex curing in them right now and am trying to be patient before I remove them. One of those is the big body-piece, which I'm super nervous about... however seams seem to be really good thus far.

I am using Monster Makers mask-making latex tinted with the "flesh" color of So-strong to get the base color. Trying to hit the halfway point where how the Fauno appears on screen vs how he he appears in photographs off-screen.

In other news, THIS is what you get when you are overeager and pull out casts from the mold too soon. Seams around the fingers aren't so great but this is pre-trim and I know it'll be better the second time around.

971559_400904536697587_1591703792_n.jpg

First pull on the torso!! Super happy with this. This is completely untrimmed/unpainted.

945952_401396136648427_1230636117_n.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back