Full size R2D2 3d printed

I believe the files are free. The paid one give early access to new files.
He has a group on Facebook as well. The link for the free one used to be on the patreon page as well. I think it's in the about section slightly down the page.

This is amazing! Do you have the 3D print files? And roughly how long did all the prints take all together? Thanks!

I printed out and assembled the feet drives

View attachment 852595

View attachment 852596

Center foot

View attachment 852597

View attachment 852598

I kept getting belts slipping and when they did grip wheelspin.
I ordered some scooter wheels and belts.

View attachment 852599

I used 100w 24d scooter motors but found they weren't really powerful enough on a carpeted floor so upgraded to 150w 24v.
View attachment 852600
Hi can I ask were you got the files for the foot motors

Hi can I ask were you got the files for the foot motors
This is amazing! Do you have the 3D print files? And roughly how long did all the prints take all together? Thanks!

Hi, thanks. All the files are available here. Files. I think they’ve been updated since I built this.
I think the files are available free from a link on the patreon page so you don’t need to pay.
I can’t remember how long but was multiple months.
I’ve started an aluminium build now.

MOST Impressive. I built mine out of styrene and that was a ton of work. Must be 8 billion hours of printing...but it looks fantastic...!!...Well Done...!!

Last edited:

If you're looking at a full-size astrodroid, you should definitely sign up at Astromech.net. Astromech is more focused on other build methods than 3d printing, but there's some discussion of the Baddeley droids there and there's a lot of information that's useful across all media.

That said - as someone who has been working on both a fully 3d printed droid and a more traditional wood frame with aluminium skins, I think that 3d printing the entire thing is an inefficient way to go about it. If one already has a 3d printer and is looking for a major project, it makes a good 3d printing project. But it's slower method to build the droid, involves at least as much work and arguably more, and unless one takes a lot of care with print setting and materials ends up with a more fragile droid. It can be less expensive, but in truth most of the cost is the electrionics - I built an "uber" Scubber droid and it cost about $5k US at the end of the day - and that's a droid that uses a 20$ rubbermaid tote for the body.

I do love the way this project turned out. And I'm very happy with my Baddeley 3d printed droid. But I'm also very glad I have a more durable wood-and-metal one to take to cons, and I'm pretty firmly convinced that the goal is simply to have the droid, 3d printing isn't the best approach.

If you're looking at a full-size astrodroid, you should definitely sign up at Astromech.net. Astromech is more focused on other build methods than 3d printing, but there's some discussion of the Baddeley droids there and there's a lot of information that's useful across all media.

That said - as someone who has been working on both a fully 3d printed droid and a more traditional wood frame with aluminium skins, I think that 3d printing the entire thing is an inefficient way to go about it. If one already has a 3d printer and is looking for a major project, it makes a good 3d printing project. But it's slower method to build the droid, involves at least as much work and arguably more, and unless one takes a lot of care with print setting and materials ends up with a more fragile droid. It can be less expensive, but in truth most of the cost is the electrionics - I built an "uber" Scubber droid and it cost about $5k US at the end of the day - and that's a droid that uses a 20$ rubbermaid tote for the body.

I do love the way this project turned out. And I'm very happy with my Baddeley 3d printed droid. But I'm also very glad I have a more durable wood-and-metal one to take to cons, and I'm pretty firmly convinced that the goal is simply to have the droid, 3d printing isn't the best approach.

I agree. I probably wouldn’t do another printed one now. The amount of sanding an filling it took was unreal.
I have started on another but am going the traditional route of a frame and skins.
I have a wood frame at the moment but am toying with going aluminium.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back