Getting into the prop making industry

Nin Dlm

I have been wanting to do props professionally for a while now and I will soon be out of high school (June 2025). The problem is, there are so many different paths to get into props that I don't really know what to choose next. Specifically, I'm looking for something to improve my technical skills, either in formal education (college/university education, apprenticeships, equivalents to an Associate's Degree/Higher National Certificate...) or else. Right now, I honestly lack technique, as I usually build in unorthodox ways from crap, which mean I can't just start to work now and gradually make my way into props making, I do need something providing training.

If some of you are working in the industry, what skills would you say were the most important for you to get the job? What kind of background are you looking for in a good props maker? Where do you find employment as a prop maker?

I am currently based in France but I have the possibility of studying worldwide (I speak English/French/German), outside of American degrees at exorbitant prices (except if anyone knows about a full-ride scholarship). It would still be a bit easier if it was in Europe or Australia/NZ tho, but I'm open to all possibilities.

The first thing I would do is find local companies around you. There is a French film industry and a theater industry. Qualifications aren't really a necessary attribute. Experience and being able to work in a team are what stick out when hiring. The hole industry works on word of mouth, So getting that first foot in the door is the hard part, once your in, if your good or just useful you will get call backs. Youth helps as you can start as a runner and get a hole lot of slack (ie your not expected to know anything).
Do what I did 38 years ago, Don't e mail or write just turn up at the door and ask if anyone will see your work. this is easier to do in theatre and museum work then Film as these days most studios are closed sets. If you really want it you will find a way.
every one in this forum has what it take to work on films as prop makers. Its all about being in the right place at the right time.
The only advantage to going to collage is there might be a chance to meat some one, also when your young its good to meet like minded artists and live a little.

Building a portfolio of props of varying sizes and possibly complexity as proof of your skills would be a good way to sell yourself to prospective prop shops.
Scratch building, adapting found items, 3D modelling both parametric and sculptural would be of great benefit now that the industry seems to have shifted towards rapid prototyping to meet the time demands of film and TV schedules.

You could possibly look to local theatre companies to get practical training.

I think the question is legitimate. Well established, iconic H'w'd prophouses have gone away. Prop replica companies fail almost as quickly as they start. Cgi props are now green stick models!

I think the answer to the question is well deserved.

I think the question is legitimate. Well established, iconic H'w'd prophouses have gone away. Prop replica companies fail almost as quickly as they start. Cgi props are now green stick models!

I think the answer to the question is well deserved.
I don't think all props are CGI models, there are so many TV productions and movies in production that need props, they come from somewhere and in terms of unique pieces have to be made by someone.

These videos are just examples.

But every cop show, comedy, drama and movie need props and they aren't going to be CGI.
It's very likely more expensive to have a CGI prop tracked into a shot than it is to just 3D print that same prop and have it in the scene, for what I assume you are referring to as props in sci-fi shows

I should also say you will always come across negative people who will say your dreaming. Never give up on your dreams ,it’s such a short life. I was told at school I wasn’t expected to achieve anything. Since then I’ve traveled the world making movies for the past 35 years.

Biggest thing you'll need is to start networking. Opportunities to work in the industry are best acheived through making the right contacts. Always has been this way and always will.

Back