Gremlins Bathroom Buddy

No worries, I appreciate it though. I've put a lot of time into looking, and yeah the travel section is the first place I went to :lol the mini Barbasol shaving cream dispensers will fit in the body so I should be able to get the 'foam action' lol.... I am thinking I have to give up on the spitting toothpaste though :)

stopped bye every store I could on the way home and couldn't find anything... :unsure sorry!! :(

Thanks for the link! I was kind of thinking that about the tongue brush too, it makes more sense, especially for the time period. I also have been looking at the GUM classic style, that is the brand that I can get most easily; I think I just need to experiment with cutting one down and heat-polishing the cut areas. Worst-case scenario, I'll be buying assorted colors by the gross, so for every correct color I'll have 5 other colors to do who knows what with :lol

For the brush, I don't know if they come in orange, but GUM still makes their 311 (slender) and 411 (full) models.
https://www.gumbrand.com/toothbrushes/adult-manual-toothbrushes/gum-classic-toothbrush.html

For the short brush with rubber, I am wondering if it could be a tongue brush.

I saw these two great pictures of the original prop on Facebook yesterday.
Anything further ever happen on this project?
From these pics I was able to identify the razor, nail file and dental mirror.
An all vintage build would be awesome!

Thanks for the link! I was kind of thinking that about the tongue brush too, it makes more sense, especially for the time period. I also have been looking at the GUM classic style, that is the brand that I can get most easily; I think I just need to experiment with cutting one down and heat-polishing the cut areas. Worst-case scenario, I'll be buying assorted colors by the gross, so for every correct color I'll have 5 other colors to do who knows what with :lol

Attachments

• IMG_9889.jpg
    IMG_9889.jpg
    348.4 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_9890.jpg
    IMG_9890.jpg
    331.3 KB · Views: 110
The orange piece seems to be labeled a Butler Proxabrush. It seems to be missing the head, but the shape seems to match old stock handles.

I appreciate the revived energy on this....
I do have everything sitting here. Unfortunately, most of the original parts are not available anymore. Lonepigeon pointed out some pieces, but unfortunately most have already been researched to not be accurate. (lonepigeon I will order that button as well to be sure, but it is NOT identical to the original style)
The orange goof (as I named it), I think I've narrowed it to the predictable thing I skipped.... It's a prop fill. It has the qualities of a dental polisher, short handle to fit across the body, and three heads which takes a polisher off the table. I have a pretty good idea how they made it now too.

To be clear, I've worked on this for I don't even know, 8 years? I work in props full-time, and I am horribly OCD which helps for details. The Bathroom Buddies were made in late 1983, so everything used is earlier. The only things I really questioned for the last year were (outside of concise pictures, thank you lonepigeon) the swivel of the mirror top, the white, black and orange button/screw tops (original source), and the wood of the body.

Now I believe in tunnel vision, especially in the prop world. Having said that, this is one of 5 props I have studied now for over 5 years. I fought on that razor and toothbrush forever. I have it close to where I am happy. We can get the body CNC'd out of wood, but my proto is a resin cast body with both cast and vintage pieces. I have to happy before I would let it out into the world to other people, especially those who care like I do.

Now back to lonepigeon , Thank you :) If those are legit pics, I appreciate it. It helps with silly things like the slotting for the floss (another huge unavailable headache). Let me know where they came from when you can. As mentioned, I think I started on this one in '15-'16? Gotta get it done before I am on social security :)

I really don't think the parts are that hard, at least with these new pics.
Fairly modern 1980's pieces are easier to find than most vintage Star Wars parts.
The red button is slightly off because of the sharpness of the stamped metal edge. They're made by many companies. Finding an ultra correct vintage one shouldn't be too hard. Modern one would be close enough for most people.

These three perfectly accurate pieces are actually very easy to acquire...

Gillette Good News
Twin Blade Disposable Razor
s-l1600.jpg

Nail File:
Revlon Emeryl File (travel length)|
Model 2345-10
54394565f2d69092838c0101503fc737.jpg

Dental Mirror
This one was probably a generic piece sold under many brands over the years but is still sold today.
41IYimDeYIL._SL1134_.jpg

Maybe this part was known already, but...
I think the bottom white piece is a toothpaste cap shoved in a hole. Probably Crest. The exposed bit looks tapered. Maybe for practical effects they could screw the toothpaste tube in there and have it feed into the tube coming out of the toothbrush.

Last edited:
Yep it'll get done, I've just been swamped this time of year. I have revised a few parts for accuracy, but this above picture makes a couple of more changes obviously needed (besides the wooden body, I can have a CNC file made for the prototypes will still be 3d prints.... lonepigeon so that's a reliable image? It looks to be, thank you for posting that!

Yep it'll get done, I've just been swamped this time of year. I have revised a few parts for accuracy, but this above picture makes a couple of more changes obviously needed (besides the wooden body, I can have a CNC file made for the prototypes will still be 3d prints.... lonepigeon so that's a reliable image? It looks to be, thank you for posting that!
Found it on a Gremlins page. I think it was Instagram.
Matches up to other photos of the original prop.
I think I've got most of the parts figured out now except the toothbrush and pink thing.
Black and red buttons not confirmed but pretty sure they're just thumbscrews.

Last edited:
In case anyone missed these when they were on Amazon...

1712535494349.png
Info from the package:
Osung DMAPA Dental Mirror, fiberglass handle
X000KSWH81

These sellers look good, but I have no experience with them.

Ebay listing (best deal)…

Top two sources from Google…

Note: These are made in blue and white.
The manufacturer lists them as "assorted"…

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back