H.G. Wells - Things to Come (1936) - Help Needed

DD28

After watching this classic movie the other night, I thought I would have a go at recreating a paper prop from it (having never seen any on the RPF - correct me if I am wrong)

However after getting a few screen shots and stitching them together I realised how difficult a job this could be, so I am calling on all Fontophiles to help me to try and identify the many fonts used on this notice. I know that the original was traditionally printed (it was the 1930's after all) but any help in finding suitable alternatives would be appreciated.

Here is the notice.

attachment.php

I would rather not have to redraw all the fonts, but if that is the only way to do it.........

Peter

Attachments

• Things to Come National Bulletin.jpg
    Things to Come National Bulletin.jpg
    625 KB · Views: 203
Hi Peter,

this newspaper is a nightmare to recreate. How many fonts did they use? Some of them you might find here: HPLHS Prop Fonts

Some of them are attached in the zip-file. Part of the title looks like "HeadlineHPLHSOne".

Hope that helps.

Dietrich

Attachments

• Fonts.zip
    282.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I want to wish you good luck - as that looks like a typographic nightmare to reproduce.

I would suggest the "Goudy" family for some of the serif fonts and the "Futura" family for some of the sans serif letters. I believe both would be period-accurate.

The "R" in "VICTORY" looks a lot like "Helvetica," but Helvetica isn't that old.

-MJ

- - - Updated - - -

I would also suggest "Cooper" or Cooper Black for some of the bolder serif letters, like in "wandering sickness."

I wonder why they used so many fonts, maybe they wanted to replicate a printing press with missing letters or something. It's a movie way ahead of it's time for sure.

I don't think this will be a quick computer generated type job. If you found an old press with multiple lead founts they may be able to mix and match the printing. I used to know a printer in Copperas Cove, Texas but he passed on. You might search some specialty printing companies or printers online and contact them for suggestions. I think it would be a really cool prop and look great framed!

Good luck and don't give up!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back