Harry Potter Book/Paper Prop Tutorials, Photos + Complete Advanced Potion Making

Awesome work mate, looks very authentic. Take one of these to the HP tour in England, and they would probably arrest you thinking you've stolen an original :lol

Book on the go at moment, but deffo see the difference.

Attachments

• APM7.jpg
    APM7.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 128
  • APM6.jpg
    APM6.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 128
  • APM5.jpg
    APM5.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 104
  • APM4.jpg
    APM4.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 106
  • APM3.jpg
    APM3.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 106
  • APM2.jpg
    APM2.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 94
  • APM.jpg
    APM.jpg
    355.9 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
great stuff weredid you get your covers done?

It's just normal artwork but it's printed onto canvas. It probably looks slightly different due to it being printed on canvas.

Have a friend who's also doing 'The Tales of Beedle The Bard' in original runes, with Hermione's hand written translations in it (about 250 pages).

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 89
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 97
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 93
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 99
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 110
Thanks for the comments above! Aging the book is the most fun part :D It's funny how I'm intentionally doing something that naturally happens to books when they're heavily used. I should make a clean copy and give it to a kid to carry around for a year at school...maybe that will be even more convincing haha!

A couple more progress pictures! I sprayed the edges of the book in metallic silver (hard to show in the pics), and aged the book a bit more. Next up is figure out some of the handwritten stuff on the inside.

hbp2.jpghbp4.jpghbp7.jpg

Attachments

• hbpside.jpg
    hbpside.jpg
    500.2 KB · Views: 73
how do you spray the edge silver? is the paper in the book matte? and if you put coffee on the pages will the ink bleed?

I masked the cover with paper towel and painters tape and just spray painted it with Duplicator brand silver. Works out pretty well! It's not chrome looking like some gilded edges, but a more subdued metallic. But I like that as it looks more worn in a way. Normally I'd spray the pages first before adding the cover prints (to avoid possible overspray and reduce the masking work), but I rushed into finishing the covers first this time.

The pages are a matte cream color. Blurb prints them like you would expect books to be printed, so the ink will not run. Usually only inkjet prints run seeing as they're water based inks. But keep in mind if you print the covers with an inkjet printer, they will run if you soak the prints in water. The method I use with the matte medium tinted with a hint of paint won't cause the ink to run as I'm brushing it on very quick and light.

Started on the text inside. I think I may just slowly add notes in this copy just for the hell of it. In process, it'll also make the pages seem more worn as I work in it.

hbpopen.jpgHBPtitle.jpg

ecl looks great! how can I emboss/deboss without machine like you did on Tales of Beedle the Bard? Because I'm working on Life and Lies of Albus Dumbledore and it looks better when embossed!

Last edited by a moderator:
@ecl looks great! how can I emboss/deboss without machine like you did on Tales of Beedle the Bard? Because I'm working on Life and Lies of Albus Dumbledore and it looks better when embossed!

I actually kind of cheated when I did the "embossing" on my old Beedle Bard book. I used a metal burnishing tool (metal with a small ball shape at the end.) and basically pushed into the areas that wanted recessed, like the runes I believe. It just simply made indentions in the cover to make it appear like it was embossed. Your Dumbledore book would be tougher as you'd want a cleaner look, like what you might see on some real book covers.

A peak at some of the notes I'm adding. From what I can see on the originals, the notes are generally illegible or extremely hard to read (even up close), with the exception of a few keywords that just "pop" out, but overall they give the impression of being convincing. It looks pretty interesting.

Photo Mar 05, 10 36 04 AM.jpgPhoto Mar 05, 10 36 16 AM.jpgPhoto Mar 05, 10 39 28 AM.jpgPhoto Mar 05, 12 41 01 PM.jpgPhoto Mar 05, 12 41 28 PM.jpg

Attachments

• Photo Mar 05, 12 41 45 PM.jpg
    Photo Mar 05, 12 41 45 PM.jpg
    489.5 KB · Views: 151
So the APM book is finally complete, now can move onto 'tales of beedle the bard', then finally onto the moving monster book.

Here's few pics.

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 113
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 105
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 99
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 99
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 116
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 103
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 115
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1,003 KB · Views: 105
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 110
If I do make extra copies I'll start something in the JY. The fabric covers look nice, as the texture adds more depth to the print. Adding foil is a little more difficult as the toner tends to not like the more fuzzy surface. BUT, if you're going to do the foil on the fabric, make sure to select the copier to "text" and darken it a notch. That will help to get more toner onto the copy which will make it easier for the foil to attach to via iron.

I'd buy one if you do decide to make extras. Just sayin'.

Heya Ecl, I got the book from Blurb..awesome. Im looking for the properly sized cover file to print out. Did I miss a new link in this thread?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back