Heat (1995) Bank Truck scene equipment

YuriDonavich

Hello, I am looking to start a cosplay, based off of Neil McCauley (Robert De Niro) during the armored truck robbery scene.
I've found the mask, and that's pretty much where the search is halted.
I am having an extremely hard time locating both the body armor and the light grey coveralls in use.
Based on watching the scenes over and over, the coveralls have a dual zipper, a small collar with a velcro closure, and square chest pockets.
There may be "pants" pockets, however there is no elastic around the waist, but there is on the pant legs. On top of this, it looks like the sleeves are just buttons.
As for the armor, it is not any regular Snap-Velcro vest of the era, the lack of a Kevlar collar, shoulder adjustments, as well as no Snap-Velcro on the back, but a rear chicken plate. It has a very strong V shape to the neck and a zipper cover. I believe they are all in similar enough vests, but I am unsure due to the speed of the scene.
I am unsure if the vests were handmade by the costume department, or if they modified ones. I believe Val Kilmer is also wearing the same vest and definitely the same coverall type, in the beginning of the scene, you can see the coveralls fairly well, when they are sitting in the Ambulance. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, as this is a fairly uncommon cosplay for heat! Thanks!

This is months late, but I can tell you the vest is a Rothco Tactical Raid Vest. I'm also putting together a cosplay and I'm 95% sure its the one. If it's not somehow, its so close no one will ever know the difference.

Hello, I am looking to start a cosplay, based off of Neil McCauley (Robert De Niro) during the armored truck robbery scene.
I am having an extremely hard time locating both the body armor and the light grey coveralls in use.
Based on watching the scenes over and over, the coveralls have a dual zipper, a small collar with a velcro closure, and square chest pockets.
There may be "pants" pockets, however there is no elastic around the waist, but there is on the pant legs. On top of this, it looks like the sleeves are just buttons.
As for the armor, it is not any regular Snap-Velcro vest of the era, the lack of a Kevlar collar, shoulder adjustments, as well as no Snap-Velcro on the back, but a rear chicken plate. It has a very strong V shape to the neck and a zipper cover. I believe they are all in similar enough vests, but I am unsure due to the speed of the scene.
I am unsure if the vests were handmade by the costume department, or if they modified ones. I believe Val Kilmer is also wearing the same vest and definitely the same coverall type, in the beginning of the scene, you can see the coveralls fairly well, when they are sitting in the Ambulance. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, as this is a fairly uncommon cosplay for heat! Thanks!
I've been struggling finding the coverall as well, that type of collar seems to be really uncommon, theres a listing on militarysurplusworld that has an image that looks pretty close but I dont think its the actual coverall for sale and I cant make out the brand. It could always be that it was a custom piece made for the film. If there was a way to dye royal navy cotton work coveralls that might work.

Vest could always be a modified HRM point blank vest

Last edited:
edit: double post

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back