Hellboy Silcone Bust , casting done

Re: Hellboy Silcone Bust WIP

I think the nose slopes too much. It seams like it should be flatter to the face. I don't see a good profile shot amongst your reference there. Do you have one. One good trick is to get as square on a profile shot as you can get and then cut it out. You can hold up the negative profile to see if everything is in the right plane. Doesn't matter if it's not perfectly to size, just stand back a bit and hold it up between you and the sculpt.

Better hurry up and finish - you've got work to do!!!! :)

Neill

cheers Boss, i got some side on pics, just ran out of hanging room. ill see you next week.

thanks to everyone else for the comments.

heres some new pics, still some thing i need to change but its getting there

IMG_2284.jpg

IMG_2285.jpg

IMG_2286.jpg

Now that is looking excellent!
Nearly there in my humble opinion. But I wonder if it would not look just slightly better if the outer corners of the brow arches were brought down a wee bit. Might help to give it that squared off/block face Helboy seems to have going on.
Bloomin excellent work. Looking forward to seeing it finished.
BTW does Hellboy have a scar running the left side of his face?

Thats a BIG improvement Richard!

The eyes look a lot better and the proportions look much more refined. All I can really see before you get into the nice texturing is the eyelids still need a bit of work... The top eyelid shouldn't arch down as much and should be on a more horizonal plain or straighter across - kinda lining up more with the crease at the bottom of the brow bulge. The lower eyelids, however, should arch much more upwards and nip in more on the outer corners as they meet the top lids... so in a nutshell, the outer corner of the eyelids should be much higher.:thumbsup

Always remember with human eyes... the lower eyelid should basically rest further back the the upper eyelid ;)

pastedgraphicyi.png

Last edited:

Wowsers! But to my untrained eye I find his head too narrow across the area by the horns or the ears stick out a little too much.

Having said that my experience is making 'morphs' out of blu-tac so what do I know - this looks awesome!

.........and you're probably going to add hair............sheesh told you I know nothing!

Wow, looks very nice IMO. I do agree about the eye's needing a little tune up. :) But once you invision it with hair to me it's pretty damn nice, great job and quick :eek.(y)cool Can't wait to see the finished bust ready for casting.

Looks fantastic Rich but there's something not completely gelling to my eye. I think the top lip, and general 'muzzle' area, doesn't look broad enough maybe?

Have you tried taking a picture lined up as closely as possible to your reference shots and doing photoshop overlays? We're doing that constantly with these Waxwork figures and, while small detail are hard to be spot on with it is possible to spot the bigger discrepencies on larger forms and that's where th real likeness comes through.

You do have to account for the fact that you'll never be looking at it through the same lens as the image you're working from but, if your camera is a basic compact model, just keep moving backwards and zooming in and take several shots keeping the head the same size in the view finder and you should get a selection through long to wide lens which will help you see the differences more clearly.

Looking good though mate but remember sometimes you have to make brave decisions and scrap a lot of hours of work to really nail it. It's what scriptwriters call "killing your babies!"

Cheers
Neill

Looking great, but the mouth should be a little larger, as it is looks like he is speaking the letter "E" from the word "me", and also it seems a little too arcuated, in the references on the background it looks straighter...
But nonetheless a stellar job!

OK I know next to nothing about sculpting but I do know art and I reckon you're pretty much there. Proportionally I think it's fine and only looks narrow because there's no facial hair yet. Got any pics of the same guy with a beard and without? You'll see what I mean. Great work, can't wait to see the final result.

cheers guys, i worked on him yesterday, played with a couple of things and got him to a point where im happy with him, I also started the 3 part mould so Im of into the workshop to make the other 2 parts and ill have a casting out next week sometime.

Neill, thanks for the tips, as always, you were right and it helped alot.

cheers everyone else for the feedback, its all appriecated

hi guys,

heres the casting, seaming and ainting tomorrow

sorry about the quality of teh picture, its really hard to photograph red in artificial light

hellboy.jpg

I astounded! I can't get over how quickly you can do a sculpt project this quickly? :eek
Saying that the only thing I've sculpted is a strange Hippo looking thing out of stone when I'd had a few beers at a country pub stone carving festival! :lol

Seriously though that looks spot on from where I'm standing. :thumbsup

fantastic skills mate and the turn around time is something else

gotta say though I think you've used your profile picture as insparation :angry

just need a paint brush in his hand :lol:lol

you know how much I love this peice mate, it's my favourite work of yours to date , I look forward to seeing what else your going to put out in the near future
:thumbsup

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back