[HELP] Foam Issues/Recommendation?

zombienoms

My last project I used sheets of thin craft foam for certain parts of my suit, the results turned out less than desirable. Basically parts ripped and didn't perform as I hoped. I was thinking this could be due to thickness of the foam I think it was maybe 3-4mm. But this may have also been the type of foam as it was craft foam from an art store and not EVA workout mat.

I wanted to see if I should try my hand at foam again as for sections like abs and neck it would be nice to shave some weight and have some flexibility. But I don't want to sacrifice durability be it from rubbing against pep pieces or up and down movement and I especially don't want tearing and weak points.

What foam should I get, what thickness anything to look for or keep in mind? Am I expecting too much out of the material?

I know Hobby Lobby has some 5mm foam, which is EVA. It is 1.27 a piece, which is quite nice. I have seen people use this stuff for their costumes. I am assuming you are talking about an Iron Man suit, since you didn't mention it, but you're talking about wearing something that shouldn't really be worn as armor. The best method and strongest is pep, sure, but that definitely takes a lot of patience and artistic ability (bondo and resin forming). Your best method is to use something like 5mm eva for the ab section and the thicker stuff for the rest, for maximum strength. You also need to consider sealing it in something such as the multiple sealing methods out there right now.

If you want a ridiculous seal... and can afford it, Epoxy Resin is your answer. I tested it on a foam piece and it had awesome flex and was resistant as hell.

I know Hobby Lobby has some 5mm foam, which is EVA. It is 1.27 a piece, which is quite nice. I have seen people use this stuff for their costumes. I am assuming you are talking about an Iron Man suit, since you didn't mention it, but you're talking about wearing something that shouldn't really be worn as armor. The best method and strongest is pep, sure, but that definitely takes a lot of patience and artistic ability (bondo and resin forming). Your best method is to use something like 5mm eva for the ab section and the thicker stuff for the rest, for maximum strength. You also need to consider sealing it in something such as the multiple sealing methods out there right now.

If you want a ridiculous seal... and can afford it, Epoxy Resin is your answer. I tested it on a foam piece and it had awesome flex and was resistant as hell.

Yeah I have a War Machine suit and I used foam for the abs and spine and it tore as I was at NYCC. For most of the suit I used a bit of hybrid technique where I did foam coated in bondo and that held up decently though my best piece was my cardstock resin bondo helmet. For the next suit I was going to do all cardstock resin bondo but I was thinking of using foam for sections where I want flex, namely the abs and part of the cod. The epoxy resin strengthens foam but remains flexible? I've heard of a method involving layers of modpodge and plastidip but not a resin. Basically I want flexibility without sacrificing endurance and a material that can take the stress

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back