Help needed with an original props bad odor!!!

justanuthercap

Sr Member
Hey all, recently received a screen used set of armor that is plastic, but the chest and back plates are backed with very think rubber. The problem is the smell of the rubber is eyewatering. :cry

Think, sticking your head in a trailer full of shreaded tires :sick

It really is overpowering and I am right now not able to keep this piece in the house. It really did stink up the ENTIRE house!!

Is there any way to SAFELY cut down on this smell without damaging the piece??? Didn't want to start experimenting with Febreeze or cleaning agents and risk screwing it up royally.

Oh, and would it be safe to have the cloth undersuit drycleaned? or is there another method of cleaning that is preferred. I noticed on one of the tags of a different costume I got from the propstore that it had been "steam cleaned"

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure if it would work, but have you looked into using those small packets that absorb moisture? It could be worth a look.

You can try BrundelFly's suggestion but I suspect that the smell will resume after a while. I wouldn't recommend the desiccant though because it might damage some of the pieces. They also aren't intended to remove odors.

What I would suggest doing is letting the piece air out. Literally hanging it someplace where it can breath and get the odor out. I think in time you will find that the odor will get less powerful/pervasive.

That's what I've found the case to be with rubber sheets I've used that were powerfully smelly when I first got them. Seems like if they've been boxed up or shut away someplace the odor gets more intense when they are finally opened back up. They still smell up close or if you handle them, but you can't smell them from yards away like you used to.

- TGM

Find yourself a display case that will hold it, and display the sucker behind glass so the smell doesn't get out.

My CABoots Stormtrooper boots had a terrible smell (most of their boots do). I put them in a rubbermade bin with the lid on - I threw in one of those baking soda fridge boxes too for a few weeks. Cut down most of the smell..

31An28DCOsL._AA160_.jpg
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31An28DCOsL._AA160_.jpg

Those baking soda boxes cost about $1 or 2 at Wal-Mart.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back