I need Legos for casting, any recommendations?

T2SF

Mostly small parts casting. What do you think I should get? 2x6? 2x8? or Duplos?I was thinking a bright color so i can see the silicone easily and any leaks. Maybe a lego container or a Rubbermaid one? Any good sources or suggestions? Thanks!

Uh, yeah, they sell them in buckets of simpler pieces for younger kids who are too old for Duplo. There should be a decent selection in one of those, plus a base plate or two.

-Mike J.

You need the basic square stock. None of that Technic stuff.

You will find that all the sizes are useful - 1x1, 1x2, 1x4, 1x6, 1x8, 2x2, 2x3, 2x4, 2x8. These are the blocks that I use. Of course, it took me 30 years to collect all that Lego. :) Duplo will work as well, it's the same size as Lego, and will connect to. But, I find Duplo less tight fitting. Oh, and a couple of those large flat green base plates. And feel free to cut them up to make a few different sizes. One size does NOT fit all in this case.

I build a Lego frame, and cover the bottom of the open shape with simple and cheap packing tape. Sometimes the part is just stuck to the tape, sometimes it's mounted to a plastic sheet cut to the size of the Lego frame.

I used Legos before - But much prefer foamcore now - The Legos are a pain to clean up from clay & silicone. Foamcore is cheap & you can just throw it away when your done!

Foam core..all the way.

I can make a Foam COre Box in the time it takes you to count your legos that you will need for your walls.

;-)

T2SF-

Lego.com offers a 'pick a brick' section where you can buy individual bricks at decent prices. I think the Lego stores have 'em too- it might be worth checking out.

Hope this helps!

I believe that very cheap bricks will do it, as long as you want something to work as a barrier for the mold material until its dry.

So, there is no need to get the top quality real legos. Get the cheap ones instead.

Who wants too spent many money anyway?:cool

I am sure that you will find plenty on toy stores.

I used Legos before - But much prefer foamcore now - The Legos are a pain to clean up from clay & silicone. Foamcore is cheap & you can just throw it away when your done!

100% agree, a sheet of foam core and a hot glue gun... Every time I have used Lego bricks I have spent more time cleaning them off or mending leaks then it was worth...

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back