ILM Painted - Gifted Millennium Falcon - on Display at Oshkosh EAA Museum

View attachment 1769330

That appears to be a green foil Hershey’s wrapper….

…likely from a Hershey’s chocolate egg….

View attachment 1769331
…and…a hair, perhaps?

Gross.

View attachment 1769336
Looked to me like a quick drawing of a cat’s head. Haha! It’s a hair? Also, in one of the other photos the word “Make” is written. If it’s a hair, a DNA test. And then we could also do a handwriting analysis! Hahaha! (Sarcasm!!!)

I wonder what else it says along with the “make?”

Thank you for that tidbit of info and your insight into this PRJ. I appreciate all of it!

Everything Falcon!

Last edited:
Looked to me like a quick drawing of a cat’s head. Haha! It’s a hair? Also, in one of the other photos the word “Make” is written. If it’s a hair, a DNA test. And then we could also do a handwriting analysis! Hahaha!

I wonder what else it says along with the “make?”

Thank you for that tidbit of info and your insight into this PRJ. I appreciate all of it!

Everything Falcon!

That’s actually “Milk Chocolate” vs. “Make” but the printed letters are crinkled up.

That’s actually “Milk Chocolate” vs. “Make” but the printed letters are crinkled up.
I was referring to this pic. Looks like something was written on it and painted over…

1702485363378.jpeg

I’m guessing that says ‘make’?

Here's a puzzler. This is a later re-release of the kit, after the lighting feature was removed. If this was a kit built during the timeframe Gary said, there would be a slot in this part where the on/off switch would go.
As I remember it, the idea for adding an illumination feature came to everyone AFTER they'd seen the test shots built up... So the slot, and other appropriate modifications, came after the test molding versions. It would be great to track down some of the folks from the manufacturer (IF there are any still alive!) to ask THEM!

This is really great. Perhaps someday, someone will identify what the foil is. Oh, so I understand, did you use this in 5-25-77 as a sort of meta prop?…
I haven’t totally gone through the pics and compared everything, but I do notice some differences between the model you have and the one they have up at OshKosh.

I wonder how many changes MPC made during production before they released them to the public and the one ILM gave to OshKosh was an early production model?

Thanks for sharing!

That corresponds to the area where “Milk Chocolate” is printed on the wrapper.

View attachment 1769461

Looks like crinkled letters to me.
Maybe my eyeballs are failing me, which is typical any day. Or being on mobile looking at this stuff right now. Haha! Looks handwritten to me. LOL But I can see where it could be “Milk C… crinkled up. And I thought the hair was a cat. I’d better get outta this game. Haha!

Thanks!

Last edited:
OMG are we really THAT anal retentive about a candy wrapper left inside a model?

Will there be a run on Hersheys milk chocolate eggs with a green wrapper by the Studio Scalers?
Well, we should look at it this way… Captain Dunsel came to the rescue and figured it out, immediately. So now at least no one will have to waste years of their life trying to hunt down “the mysterious green foil wrapper!” Haha!

Makes sense if they were using it by May 25th, and it being about a month after Easter that they’d have those laying around the shop! At least I would have if it were me. LOL

Last edited:
Going forward, how many replicas of this Falcon have the ‘infamous candy wrapper’ inside them?

Will we be obsessing if the wrapper is wadded up in exactly the same manner?
Well, you might be on to something! The question is... WHY would an ILM modelmaker Scotch tape a Hershey's chocolate Easter egg candy wrapper into the inside of on of their pre-vis Millennium Falcon models? I mean... what's the story behind that??

My personal theory is that the original model maker had a Time Machine (made out of a Delorean, of course!).
When he first traveled to the future and saw how many people obsess over every single tiny detail of the models they built for SW, he decided to place this foil wrapper in a model when he returned.

He had quite the sense of humor.

Well, you might be on to something! The question is... WHY would an ILM modelmaker Scotch tape a Hershey's chocolate Easter egg candy wrapper into the inside of on of their pre-vis Millennium Falcon models? I mean... what's the story behind that??
Maybe it's a "tell" done, on purpose, by the model maker who worked on that model?

I believe that this is, like others have commented, an Easter egg. Unless I missed an earlier comment, I think the Easter egg is meant to point out that the eight-segment “pie/pizza slices” and the center circle is the Aries 1b shuttle landing at Clavius moon base. Further, I can see the large circle with the two smaller ones as Clavius crater (!).

I even did this myself in 1986, unconsciously. I broke up my Darth Vader TIE fighter and used the viewscreen to kitbash a Klingon starbase. The "Aries 1b" is on the top. The MF gun was on top while my SB docking bays were obviously 1/700 WW2 USN 5" dual purpose secondary mounts (minus the barrels). I used plastic tree sprue to attach the bays with. This was in 1986. The ship on the right is a D-5 and was one of my first masters. The Klingon SB (a one-off and never produced) was the reason that I got the master sculpting job with the game company in Texas (then Task Force Games). So if I am correct (and I think that I am), this makes two 2OOI Easter eggs in Star Wars, one for the Alliance (or at least a pirate Corellian spice freighter) and one for the Empire. Edit- I did not know that the MF was a hamburger with an olive on the side. EDIT- (again). Oh, George, you did not do that! ? And I'm not EVEN going to mention the Daisies (yes, I did). :)

Attachments

• Screenshot (17756).png
    Screenshot (17756).png
    853.7 KB · Views: 63
  • Screenshot (17757).png
    Screenshot (17757).png
    418.1 KB · Views: 53
  • Screenshot (17771).png
    Screenshot (17771).png
    321.5 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Here is my juxtaposition of one of PRJ's photos, the Clavius Crater, and the segmented "pie/pizza sliced" underground landing dome cover of where the Aries 1b landed at. In addition, was there a "retro Chekhov's gun" message in the placement of the quad laser cannons? I might think as much. Instead of a foreshadow, is it a pre-shadow?

Attachments

• Screenshot (17804).png
    Screenshot (17804).png
    912.6 KB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot (17805).png
    Screenshot (17805).png
    617.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot (17816).png
    Screenshot (17816).png
    799.9 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back