Immortan Joe costume from Mad Max, Fury Road

If no one knows what wasteland is it's like a 3 day all mad max burning man in Cali. Less djs more bands. Looks awesome

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

A friend and I talked about attending Wasteland one of these years but, honestly, you can't show up without some kitbashed rat-rod. It'd be like showing up to a Halloween party dressed as "yourself".

Soon as I make my own car, I'll be going to Wasteland.:p

So I'm at the point where I'm looking at how to join the front and back plate together, and I'm trying to figure out how the film prop works. The images I've all seen of the armor have the greeblies on the shoulders already in place to hold the airbag/filter/other shoulder equipment, so this is the only remotely clear shot I can get of the latching mechanism that seems to be under it all.

My first impulse is a chest or suitcase latch like these things:

pring-Loaded-Hooded-Loop-font-b-Draw-b-font-font-b.jpg

Thing is, these would be great on something like a chest or box with a fixed hinge that isn't going to shift around, but I'm concerned that if I shrugged my shoulders or something, the top of the loop would slip off the hook, regardless of if the latch itself is closed down.

Anyone figured out anything clever for this connection?

I used leather loops and rings I cut off of Goodwill purses to hold the chest armor to the back armor permanently but flexibly at the shoulders. The two sides lace together using the eyelet strips off a peach-colored pair of shoes so the leather matches the moleskin around the edges. Finally, I am using silver leather strips to hold the shoulder pauldrons to both the biceps armor and the joint of the front and back armor at the shoulder. This simulates the aluminum strip Joe uses but is much more flexible and easier to work with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That actually looks to be about right, or some simple loop/clip system, as the pauldron bracket is just some string looped into the back/shoulder piece.

So finally back to tweaking last year's IJ build.
I ordered the chest decor from shapeways painted it and pulled my hand carved "approximates" off.
Just pulled a new paldron because they were IMO the biggest eyesore of my build.
I built a vacuum form box using; a cardboard box my network rack came in, duct tape, a drill, teardrop self adhesive gasket, and a wide vacuum attachment.
built the frame to hold the PETG from about $3 worth of scrap lumber, bolts and wing nuts. Heated the PETG in the oven(NOTE:maybe a fume hazard, i setup additional ventilation and no one else was allowed in that part of the house during), sitting up on twp bread pan tins to allow the plastic to droop.
It's a quick and dirty option but worked better than i actually expected, if anyone new to this wants more specifics hit me up, I'm sure the veterans have bigger better setups already.
** A heads up to anyone that may try this boot-leg vaccum box. I had to build a bigger buck and repull the shoulders, the face of the box creased during the second shoulder pull and lost vacuum. Attaching a cut to size of the box sheet of plastic pegboard then drilling through only where i needed holes would have prevented this.

IMG_1849.jpgIMG_1848.jpg

Last edited:
First off my solution was not S/A, I used 4 chicago screws to fasten a rectangle of black yoga mat to the front and back shoulders positions. then punched holes and laced the sides with shoe string that allows me enough slack to clamshell into the breastplate, then i snake on the arm pieces which are all fastened together and there is a quick clip at the shoulders to attach arm parts to the breast plate, this allows me to get all this on and off by myself if needed, ugly but practical:
IMG_1851.jpgIMG_1850.jpg

**Replaced the quick buckles with neodymium disk magnets attached to shoulder of front plate and the top of the strap to the arm pieces,

Last edited:
http://i.imgur.com/sxhWUQCl.png

So I'm at the point where I'm looking at how to join the front and back plate together, and I'm trying to figure out how the film prop works. The images I've all seen of the armor have the greeblies on the shoulders already in place to hold the airbag/filter/other shoulder equipment, so this is the only remotely clear shot I can get of the latching mechanism that seems to be under it all.

http://g01.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1nzm6...ded-Hooded-Loop-font-b-Draw-b-font-font-b.jpg

Thing is, these would be great on something like a chest or box with a fixed hinge that isn't going to shift around, but I'm concerned that if I shrugged my shoulders or something, the top of the loop would slip off the hook, regardless of if the latch itself is closed down.

Anyone figured out anything clever for this connection?

Ill try to post close ups of mine. But i used leather straps and snaps from tandy leather. Its not completely accurate, but it helps alot in dissembling it and putting it on.
My first impulse is a chest or suitcase latch like these things:

So I want to dig this thread back up to ask for ideas or guidance. I'm looking at the black plastic mounts that seem to be in pairs above either shoulder, onto which the T-shaped pipe that holds the air filters is attached.

It definitely seems to sit over the gap in the armor between the front and back pieces, and in fact, you can just barely see the clasp that I think holds the two halves of the armor together underneath the parts we're talking about:

My problem right now is that I don't see where, or if, these things seem to attach to the armor at all. All you can see of them is the front part, which just seems to float in mid-air all on its own or something. I've made a clasp mechanism on my own armor to connect the front and back halves:

... and having done that now, I'm wondering how on earth I can make something that sits overtop of these without also interfering in the clasp operation. Is this the kind of part that bolts down onto both halves of the armor, you think? If it is, why would they bother having a clasp at all? I'd love to figure out what this is supposed to look like so I can figure out how I am going to end up modeling it.

Boy, do I love your shoulder clasp! As I rework my armor I am going to copy your system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm trying to figure out from photo reference if the top of Joe's right leg shinpad has identical or mirrored emblems to the left. The left is very readily referenced in a lot of photos, but I can't find good evidence of how they're arranged on the right leg. They both have "500" on either side of the center icon, but no telling what's beneath it. Anyone got any ideas?

Ein, I believe it is two bent steel/aluminum parts that clamp onto some kind of (possibly flexible?) 3/8" plate which supports the main bag to some extent. It's a tough area to make sense of for sure! Seems like it's always in shadow or hidden by Joe's hair. Frustrating.

bellows1.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back