[In Progress 60%] Faora Costume Build

thnkling

Hi all,

So for my next costume (my second costume I've ever built) I've been wanting to do some armor and do it right-ish. I've decided to do Faora because her armor is so complex and challenging. I started my research in March and started building in late April. I had no idea how much work this costume would be. With all the intricacies of the layers of fabric to building all the different little armor parts. I'm basing most of the armor off the figurine version

Here's a reference for those who don't know what she looks like:

play-arts-kai-faora-man-of-steel-1.jpg

Progress Details
As of right now, I've completed 90% of the armor parts, painted 70% of the armor parts, 0% on the undersuit (I have all the fabric and a screen to screenprint but it's too difficult to do it on my own). I chose not to do a cape because I feel that it would take away from the rest of the costume.. But I could be convinced otherwise.

Since I'm so new to this costuming stuff really (second costume I've made) I redid a bunch of things. I'll dig up those photos later.

Materials:
I started out using wonderflex but hated the fabric that's intertwined so I ended up learning how to use worbla (2 large sheets and 1 extra large sheet). I also used repair putty from Wal-mart (protip: don't heat up worbla after you applied repair putty). Tried using wood glue for a couple armor pieces and got too impatient with them drying in between layers so I ended up spray painting the rest of the pieces with filler primer spray paint. I also used EVA foam (bought from sears - it has a pattern on one side though :(). Also used foamies or really thin foam for details. Also used the obvious spray paints (black metallic, silver metallic, dark brown metallic). Then acrylic paint for detail work.

Techniques:
1. Worbla over foam: For the shin armor I did the sandwich method, which is basically sandwiching foam with worbla. I found this to be inefficient use of worbla because there is a lot of waste. So for the larger armor pieces I did one side with worbla and wrapped it around the edges. So with the more complex armor pieces like the kneepad I heated up a cutout piece of worbla over the finished foam kneepad. When it became pliable I started from the center front of the foam piece and started pushing down and around the foam so it went into all the creases and edges. I used a variety of tools to push in the worbla so it could have sharper corners, divets and whatnot. Then heating up the edges again and wrapping the worbla around the edges of the armor. For the corners I just squeeze the corners so I can get a nice 90 degree corner. Then use scissors to cut off the excess.
unnamed (1).jpgunnamed.jpg unnamed (2).jpg

2. Dremel: After I was happy with the piece I worked on I moved to dremeling. There will be some overlapping of worbla or folds from trying to form it around the foam. I used my dremel on the high setting with a sanding cylinder and went to town. It's way easier than trying to dremel foam where a slight move can ruin your armor. I dremel around the edges of the armor usually where it's too thick or wherever I'm not really happy with yet. I also sand the edges and corners of the worbla so I can get a sharper edge.

3. Makeup:
So I went to Sephora and splurged on some makeup thanks to suggestions from /r/makeupaddiction and faora makeup videos from Youtube. She has grey/silver eyeshadow with pinkish-orange lipstick, here's a test makeup photo along with the wig I bought from a local wig store that I trimmed up. Sorry for the non-straight-on shot, can only take "badass" pictures. :p Think I might add more highlighter on the corners of my jaw since her face is more square.
unnamed (4).jpg

4. Sewing: I don't really have much to say about this yet as I've never sewn before and I just bought a sewing machine/table from Goodwill for $15 and hoping I can learn how to sew on that. I went to a local fabric store and got some 2 way stretch lycra that has a little bit of see-through-ness. Then the under-layer of silver lycra. I was hoping for 4-way stretch but this'll do for now, plus the kwik-sew pattern I'm using calls for two-way stretch. A co-worker also snagged an adjustable dress form from Goodwill too! WEE!
unnamed (7).jpg

5. Screenprinting: I got a screenprinting screen from etsy using that chain mail pattern but it's proved to be a problem so far, I hope I can resolve the kinks! Here's a test print but the problems I'm having is lining up one print next to and seamless with the previous print so its one big seamless pattern. Also the ink is very patchy.. Any tips would be so great!

6. Contacts: I just got my new contact prescription and looking to get some natural-ish light blue eyed hand painted contacts.

Other photos:
unnamed (10).jpgunnamed (5).jpg unnamed (6).jpg unnamed (9).jpg unnamed (3).jpg
I will post more photos tonight as I seem to have left most of them on my home computer, bhaha.

PS. If you're going to dragoncon I hope I can be there too! Let's meetup!

Thanks! Here are more pics. I thought I had more.. but I guess not. :( I'll take more as I go along!

Chain-mail pattern:
chainmail-1.JPG chainmail-2.JPG

Last edited:
Chainmail pattern looks good. Unfortunately I know very little about screen printing so I can't really help. How exactly did you get Etsy to create the screens for you with that pattern? How large are the screens?

This person sells custom made screens. You just send her the artwork and she'll burn a screen for you. I asked for more of an open weave so more ink could pass through (but didn't think about the mesh like lycra soaking it up lol). She pretty much does any size you want and can do custom orders too (I had to ask for the more open weave screen). The quality seems alright, nothing too professional but it helps get the pattern on the fabric and that's most important. It was an 11"x14" screen.

I think I might order a custom size that's the size of the largest pattern piece (kwik sew) that I'll end up sewing together. That way I don't have to worry about lining up my screen prints (since my screen is super tiny). I just gotta work on squeegee/flooding technique so it doesn't look patchy after I do a print. I've been using metallic puffy paint. But since it's soaking through the fabric I may have to go with plastisol with a stretch additive.. Which I've yet to try!

I got that sewing pattern because when I thought about the logistics of wearing all that armor over a 1 piece catsuit I got nervous. Since I wear a belt, it should be able to cover the separation in the middle so it'll be easy to go potty, yay!

Hopefully I will nail down this DIY version so other people who don't have printers that can print chainmail have another option too.. other than hand puffy painting hah.

Last edited:
The quality looks very good from the pic, but I can see how lining up the next one would be really difficult.

I know that I've read some people talk about how the metallic dimensional paint seeps into poly-lycra , causing them to have to do it twice (this is what i've read from people doing the webbing for Spider-Man costumes). They aren't using screens to do it though, so I'm not sure if you'd have to line it up again perfectly a second time -- which is just adding to your initial problem...

Yeah, I've tried screenprinting it once (using a swivel clamp so it goes back into the same position) and let it soak in, even made sure it was dry. Laid the screen back down to go back over again and it didn't line up. The top part was somewhat lining up.. then towards the bottom it started looking funny :( So hopefully using plastisol will solve that problem, but I'll still have that lining up problem but hopefully that'll be somewhat easier since plastisol is a thicker ink hah.

Sorry for not updating as much as I should. Sometimes it's hard to work enough to show some nice progress. So here's some updates:

I've continued painting most of the finished pieces. I worked on the gloves, so far it's turning out.. alright, hah. Going to have to invest in some e6000, as hot glue I'd imagine won't last long.

Bracelets
I started out with clay but wasn't happy with my clay skills (haven't messed with clay since high school), so instead I'm using foam as a model and that white icky stuff is watered down white glue (want to seal it so it wont stick to the mold). By the way, I'm using vytaflex 20 to make the mold and the cast (I hope I'm using terminology right lol). It's basically urethane rubber, with some flexibility. I've never casted molds before so this will be interesting. Anyways, here's some pics below:

breather-mask.jpgclay-model.jpgdem-biking-gloves.jpgfoam-model.jpgwhy-did-i-speckle-it.jpg

Looks great!! I just re-read you original post and you mentioned that you are not doing the cape. What do you mean by it taking away from the rest of the costume? Do you have a pic that shows how and where it attaches?

Looks great!! I just re-read you original post and you mentioned that you are not doing the cape. What do you mean by it taking away from the rest of the costume? Do you have a pic that shows how and where it attaches?

Thank you! I really like the detail in the armor in the back, and since I don't have much experience with fabric it may end up looking like im wearing a tied up bed sheet, lol. Here's a picture I found of the figurine wearing the cape: http://grab.by/ywVO

Not sure how accurate this back shot is of faora's suit (without cape)
http://www.lafcolecionaveis.com.br/.../Faoral_Ul_-_Man_Of_Steel_Play_Arts_Kai_2.jpg
... but I think I see what you mean. The cape kinda hides all the armor / work that you've put into it.

You could always make the cape but make it detachable and only attach it when it's on display -- assuming you'll be keeping it as a display piece when not in use.

As far as making capes, Belleb08 made the cape for xEvansx who made a really cool Man of Steel suit. I am thinking about trying a project of my own soon and wanted to know how to make a cape. I asked her, and she described it here:
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=205829&page=8&p=3340766&viewfull=1#post3340766

Oh nice info, I may do the cape.. But right now I'm trying to shoot for dragoncon to have it completed (lol) and the cape is a 'nice to have' sort of thing at the moment.

So, I ordered a new screen from the same lady on Etsy. This time it'll be 30"x30" (26"x26" printable area) and she's going to double coat the back with emulsion.. So we'll see how it turns out. I chose that size based on the patterns I have for the suit. Since I'm making a leotard and leggings the screen doesn't have to be that big. For example, printing the leg will be in two prints. Where the two prints meet up on the fabric will behind the kneepad and under the urethane.. So it'll hide some of the imperfections.

My mold finished curing this morning and starting to clean up the mold so I can cast some bracelets. Here's some new pics!
legos.jpgmold.jpgdemold.jpg

Oh boy, so it was down to the wire.. Two days before dragon con, gluing everything on my suit. LOL. Dragon Con was great. I never made a complex suit like this and also have never been to a convention.. So this was an experience! Sorry for the lack of updates but if any of you have questions about certain parts, just ask!

I used the same technique as I did with the wrist guard (eva foam/worbla) technique with all the other pieces of armor. I was going to use velcro to help the thigh pieces stay on but felt like the velcro wouldn't last long, so I found a tutorial on how to install snaps and the armor snaps on the body suit. I ended up finding a local guy to sub dye my suit and found a seamstress to sew it. She sewed it upside down :(. But eventually I'd like to replace the body suit and body trim with the stuff that MaskedRider has come up with.

me2.jpgme.jpgmefaora-3.jpgme4faora.png (last two pics were taken by Dragon's Chyld Studio)

me.jpg

mefaora-3.jpg

me4faora.png

me2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back