Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb - Manual Inserts

That's a great find! However, it's not the exact same photo. Notice how the one in the manual has a truck with white bags near the center kiosk, as well as some cars parked or stationary in front of it:

View attachment 1667529

Ceebrupt found that particular photograph, but I havent find any hi-res copy yet:

View attachment 1667530

It could be fun to also find what the coin is. I have seen multiple similar vintage chinese coins, but none with those particular symbols, and my chinese is non existant XD
The coin is 1850-1851, Tao-kwong. According to my sheet of Chinese old coins. The sheet contains 10 coins from 1644 to 1909. I think I picked it up in China. It has the history of the coins on the back in Chinese and English. The oldest one I have separate to the sheet that I am going to use, is 1909. The coins are quite thin, but I guess there were so many available once they changed the type of currency. I have bought candles with them pressed in them. So if they are real or not, not sure, but the one I have will work for me in the journal.

Attachments

• 20230208_081011.jpg
    20230208_081011.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 43
  • 20230208_081025.jpg
    20230208_081025.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Great find! I guess it's based on this one 1 Cash - Daoguang, China, named after the emperor from the time: Daoguang - Wikipedia
Although the one photographed was probably a cheap knockoff like this one: Help with Identifying chinese counterfeited coin! [solved] – Numista
I also unleashed some AI software on the Bund photograph, at least until we find a high res one:
View attachment 1667650

View attachment 1667654
I have some software that may be able to enhance the image from Topaz. Interesting the link to counterfeit coins. Fake or real, what I have will serve the purpose.

The coin is 1850-1851, Tao-kwong. According to my sheet of Chinese old coins. The sheet contains 10 coins from 1644 to 1909. I think I picked it up in China. It has the history of the coins on the back in Chinese and English. The oldest one I have separate to the sheet that I am going to use, is 1909. The coins are quite thin, but I guess there were so many available once they changed the type of currency. I have bought candles with them pressed in them. So if they are real or not, not sure, but the one I have will work for me in the journal.
For anyone who wants the same haha: Lucky Fortune Feng Shui Antique Chinese Ancient Money Coin For Home Collection 28mm - Buy I-ching Coins,Chinese Gold Coin Plant,Spinner Coin Product on Alibaba.com

Still slowly working away at the manual as time allows. I finally decided on a size that works for me. Its height is the same as the Indiana Jones handbook, which is 7.75 inches. I found that this size also made the stamps on the Zeppelin envelope look more or less the correct size. To get the perforations I used hair thinning scissor., I have a pair of stamp scissors but it made the perforations a little large and unrealistic.
Inside the handbook is a section on using the whip. I will adapt some of that for the combat training pages.

Last edited:
Finally finished the Monarch Brochure insert. Borrowed some bits from other creations. Finding the font took a while. I just swapped out the photo on the front.
I'm making 3 signatures for my version of the manual.

Attachments

• 20230222_182948.jpg
    20230222_182948.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 37
  • 20230222_183001.jpg
    20230222_183001.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:
In ref to the Ceylon envelope here's the one i did in photoshop to use as an insert in my Indy journal i printed it twice and then cut out the stamps and glued them on over the printed one's for that authentic look, also included the stamps i used

Attachments

• ceylon evelope.JPG
    ceylon evelope.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 34
  • Capture5.JPG
    Capture5.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 32
  • Capture6.JPG
    Capture6.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
And here you have some of the assets I made myself:

- All the post stamps that appear on the manual are slight modifications of stamps from the 30s. Members from the old thread made really good recreations of those stamps, but I didnt manage to recover the red 1 Luffpost one from page 18, so I remade it again with the resources I found.
- The luftpost round stamp from page 18, and the Frankfurt Police seal from the page 16 envelope.
- The pages of the training manual that appears on pages 20 and 21
- The german steamship ticket from page 6, based in part on an actual ticket from the era.
Looks great. You, however, may want to change the "deitte" on the ticket to "dritte" since that's the correct German translation of Third (class)

Oh yes, Mikey1945 already pointed it out. Blame it on the ornate fraktur that my historical source had :whistle:

Here you have the corrected version:

ticket_front.jpg

Last edited:
Been a while since I did anything with the inserts. To many projects on the go, and finishing none. Anyhow I worked on the passport insert over the weekend and have come up with this. Still to do the page it will go on with the hieroglyphics. I have made the playing cards too.

Attachments

• 20230528_173837.jpg
    20230528_173837.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 40
Looks great! What are your references for the passport/visas, or did you just edit the one in the manual?
I just edited the one in the manual. I used Photoshop and some pen and ink. I made a couple of copies and cut the 386mil stamp out from one, and serrated the edges with some hairdressers thinning scissors then stuck it in. I got the background from another site.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back